Menu

Ds14 had a bicycle wipe-out last night

He was bicycling to tae kwando in the rain. (He could have had a ride. He refused.) He had a bicycle light and reflectors on his clothing. He was wearing a homemade visor to protect his face from the rain. He was also wearing a rain slicker but no gloves because he couldn't find them. The glare from an oncoming car temporarily blinded him and he ran into a recycling bin. He has scraps on his hands and arms.

The point of all of this is to ask what gear should I get him? Is there some kind of face protection available? Are there special gloves?

He was bicycling to tae kwando in the rain. (He could have had a ride. He refused.) He had a bicycle light and reflectors on his clothing. He was wearing a homemade visor to protect his face from the rain. He was also wearing a rain slicker but no gloves because he couldn't find them. The glare from an oncoming car temporarily blinded him and he ran into a recycling bin. He has scraps on his hands and arms.

The point of all of this is to ask what gear should I get him? Is there some kind of face protection available? Are there special gloves?

Jean, you need to protect his face. Besides a bicycle suit---cover head to toe and rain coat, I believe a helmet like one of these in this link would protect from injury and all the toxins of exhaust coming from cars as he bikes.

http://totobobo.com/blog/what-are-cyclists-looking-for-in-a-pollution-mask/

My nephew only bikes- so he travels a lot in the rain. He has a rain cape that is specially made for bikers. It keeps his hands, handlebars, and upper body dry. He has waterproof pants, too, but only wears those when he really has to- they're hot!

He never has found anything that protects his face but still provides visibility during rain. He works at a bike shop- he gets to try out all kinds of products!

I'm glad he's not seriously hurt as it could have been so much worse. I think it's admirable that he wants to get himself to class, but I personally wouldn't allow bike riding after dark - and I know it's hard not to be after dark this time of year. For riding during daylight, a good helmet would be mandatory.

We are a biking family. Dh and I have been avid mountain bikers since the early '90s and have plenty of scars to prove it.

Ds (just turned 15) rides mountain and road bikes and competed this year in several road bike time trials.

Noone in our house even sits on a bike (any kind) without a good helmet (with a visor) and gloves. Since they started riding bikes, these have been required. Any good bike shop will have a variety of biking gloves for all kinds of riding. Good helmets are a must!! If riding on the road at night, there are great looking vests that actually have flashing lights on them. Personally, I like my son to look like a flashing Christmas tree going down the road if he is riding after dark.

When I was mountain biking more often and knew it was going to be a gnarly trail, I would also wear elbow and forearm protection. It just seemed to be the place that I would land on and I have had to be stitched up several times near both elbows.

Helmet hair and the "uncool" factor of wearing gloves is a small price to pay for protection against brain damage and loss of skin on hands.

I'm glad he's ok. For me, a wipeout always seemed to promote a more cautious view on riding (at least for a while). Just like driving a car, riding a bike on the road in bad weather conditions will increase the need for focus, lowered speed, and a sharp eye out for drivers who may have a hard time seeing him.

He was wearing a bike helmet. I guess that was such a given that I didn't even think to mention it! It doesn't protect him much from the rain, though. I'm going to stop by a bike shop today.

Hope you found some gloves and such at the bike shop. Dh didn't have any suggestions other than what's already been posted.

Ds will probably ache tomorrow if he doesn't already! Hopefully it won't be too bad, though.

Around here, even tho' you have to put your headlights on if it is raining, I am going to assume it was pretty dark if the glare from an oncoming car blinded him.

My DS would not been allowed to ride his bike, in the rain, when it was dark enough that the glare from an oncoming car would blind him. What kind of equipment could have prevented that? :confused:

Jean, the horrible accidents that careful adult friends of ours have been in recently, in the daylight, makes me seriously caution you in his biking in poor visibility! We do not live where there is much traffic either. Cars win over bikes every time. I'm so glad he only got hit by the garbage bin! :grouphug:

Around here, even tho' you have to put your headlights on if it is raining, I am going to assume it was pretty dark if the glare from an oncoming car blinded him.

My DS would not been allowed to ride his bike, in the rain, when it was dark enough that the glare from an oncoming car would blind him. What kind of equipment could have prevented that? :confused:

You're right. In the past I've insisted. I didn't insist last night because I was feeling pretty poorly with my latest bout of pericarditis. But I was pretty shaken up when he came home and I saw what happened. Now either dh or I will drive him at night. But the rain around here can be constant around this time of year so he will still need appropriate gear for dreary daytime rainy weather.

I didn't make it to the bike shop today but once Thanksgiving is over that is a big priority for me. Friday should be a good shopping day.:001_smile: