Menu

Can we talk "ills of coffee"? (I love my coffee)

BMW

I enjoy my coffee. I usually drink 2 cups early in the day. It's a comfort for me.

But, I don't experience more energy.

And I wonder about long term health.

I am really wanting to get to be as healthy as I can be because I am getting older......

Some time ago a lady at another forum wrote all about what was bad for you that came with drinking coffee. It was quite convincing. But, I never changed my comfort habit.

I do like tea... but, it's not coffee!

What about decaf? Is it as bad for you as coffee, but in "non caffeine" ways?

Thanks for sharing....

(Running fast, ducking, zig-zagging to avoid the bullets shot my way... )

In September, various news sites reported on a study that was done, which had shown that coffee reduced the effects of depression in women.

Here is CNN's report (MSNBC and all the other news sites carried the same report so google your favorite news source. I picked CNN because I wanted the link and was too lazy to not pick the first one that popped-up):

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/26/health/women-depression-coffee/index.html

Basically, it seems to help but if depressed don't rely on it to cure you. Don't rush out and start drinking it. But if you already do, well, I guess it may help.

I'm definitely not an expert, but I think there is inconsistent evidence. Some good. Some bad.

My approach (not that I am a model citizen, health wise) is to drink my two cups or so of regular coffee, organic. I do insist on organic coffee, even though I am not really careful about everything being organic in my diet. Coffee I am careful about.

Then I just make sure I drink water during the day, because coffee is a diuretic.

Then I just make sure I drink water during the day, because coffee is a diuretic.

Oh, don't even get me started about water consumption. :D I'm one of those people who believe plenty of fluids cures what ails you, which is interesting considering that I am the least likely to get ill in the house and I get over it more quickly (even though I have an autoimmune disease). Daily, I pretty much drink my weight in water (ok, maybe not that much).

I was reading somewhere that people have been trying to prove that coffee is dangerous for centuries. There was a king in Sweden a couple hundred years ago who decided to make one prisoner drink coffee all day and one drink nothing but water. He wanted to prove that coffee was bad for you. He never got to prove it because the prisoner who drank the water died first, and then the king died. The coffee drinker lived to a ripe old age :)

(This was the gist anyway--don't hold me to the details!)

And I wonder about long term health.

I am really wanting to get to be as healthy as I can be because I am getting older......

My grandmothers drank their daily coffee and lived healthy lives into their nineties. Coffee will be the last thing I worry about.

And I definitely notice a positive effect on mood.

Thank you so very, very much! I sit here literally giggling, making my son scratch his forehead wondering why his mom is laughing....

I wanted to be convinced that coffee was really, in fact bad for me and to be told that I really should stop drinking my couple of cups...

Instead, I am just so in love with continuing to enjoy my two cups of comfort in the morning...

I'm off to live a happy, coffee enjoying life now. Hopefully into my nineties...

LOL!

I enjoy my coffee also, and dh enjoys it even more than me! I only "worry" about my coffee consumption in so much as I can't drink it without cream and sugar. Dh drinks it black and I figure he's fine to just enjoy his coffee in large quantities but I'm always thinking of my caloric intake that goes along with what I consider a good cup of coffee.

I enjoy my coffee also, and dh enjoys it even more than me! I only "worry" about my coffee consumption in so much as I can't drink it without cream and sugar. Dh drinks it black and I figure he's fine to just enjoy his coffee in large quantities but I'm always thinking of my caloric intake that goes along with what I consider a good cup of coffee.

I have one (rather large) cup or mug in the morning with rapadura for sweetening and a generous dollop of whipping cream or at least steamed milk. I usually don't drink more coffee during the day and I am convinced I will not die from it - but if I do, so be it! :D

I *hate* decaf. I will drink the swiss water process decaf but not the chemical decaf. NEVER had a cup I enjoyed.

Coffee was my food AND beverage of choice. Love, love, love, love it!!! But I started to sample teas, GOOD tea and not bagged tea, and I have learned to enjoy tea more than coffee!!! Guess what? My blood pressure decreased to the point I may have to start to cut my pills in half!

Go to tea houses. Experiment. Find GOOD tea you love. I love jasmine tea and a *good* white chai. I drink tea all day long during the winter. I use a huge oversized beer mug as my tea mug.:D

I think you can tell, from my Avatar, where I stand on drinking coffee. However, I recently gave it up!! For me it was the caffeine. I was seriously addicted. I only had about two cups a day but if I missed one, watch out! When I quit the caffeine I felt terrible for a few days, like I had the flu. Now I am ok, I have a cup or two a week. I miss it but for me it was the right time to stop.

Edited by Cammie