Menu

What is the BEST multiplication drill game for the iPad?

DS7 is massively struggling with long division because he simply does NOT know his multiplication tables. Our children have always used Quarter Mile Math on the PC for drill, but it doesn't seem to be cutting it for this one.

If you have an iPad app that your child LOVES that has really helped them to learn their multiplication facts by heart, please post it here. Even paid apps! We need something now! Thanks in advance!

Thanks! I'll get that! I see that there is the free version and one for $0.99. I think I'll go for the paid one so that I don't end up with both.

Anyone else have a favorite?

I lost a long post to a system glitch, but Rocket Math (the original, as confusingly there are two Rocket Math apps) is great fun.

Kids earn points ($) by doing drill that they can spend on building rockets from parts. The "launch mode" is fun and include various educational tasks.

It is the version by Dan Russell-Pinson. Rocket Math is worth the $0.99 if you want a game that kid's like to play.

Bill

I'll recommend one more. It is sort of on the other end of the spectrum from Rocket Math (which is exciting and visceral) in being gentle and taking quiet thought and logic, and is rather like a "crossword puzzle" where one solved equation fills in the parts necessary to solve the other equations in the puzzle.

It is called Kruis Tafels.

It has a very different vibe.

Bill

I lost a long post to a system glitch, but Rocket Math (the original, as confusingly there are two Rocket Math apps) is great fun.

Kids earn points ($) by doing drill that they can spend on building rockets from parts. The "launch mode" is fun and include various educational tasks.

It is the version by Dan Russell-Pinson. Rocket Math is worth the $0.99 if you want a game that kid's like to play.

Bill

What do you like for world geography? ;) I have several and am currenty mostly unhappy with them. I especially want one that is not for little kids, and doesn't place a continent in the middle of nowhere, attached to nothing, near nothing etc.

Both. You can get it here.

Yay! I just saw on the website that they have an addition version coming out soon.

Wow! That looks pretty cool! I'm downloading the free one now, but I will probably need to upgrade to the paid version soon. (I'm afraid the older siblings are going to want this, also!)

Bill

Thanks, Bill! It looks like I bought the correct one!

Now to get him started...

I'll recommend one more. It is sort of on the other end of the spectrum from Rocket Math (which is exciting and visceral) in being gentle and taking quiet thought and logic, and is rather like a "crossword puzzle" where one solved equation fills in the parts necessary to solve the other equations in the puzzle.

It is called Kruis Tafels.

It has a very different vibe.

Bill

We're into puzzles here, so I think I'll get that one, too! One question: Is the paid one called "Super Kruis Tafels" a superset of "Kruis Tafels" or are they different games? (The icons look pretty different.)

Thanks again!

ETA: Nevermind. I see that the description shows it as "an extended version of "Kruis Tafels"". I guess it goes to 12 instead of just 10. I might want to start with the free one...

Edited by RegGuheert

We're into puzzles here, so I think I'll get that one, too! One question: Is the paid one called "Super Kruis Tafels" a superset of "Kruis Tafels" or are they different games? (The icons look pretty different.)

Thanks again!

ETA: Nevermind. I see that the description shows it as "an extended version of "Kruis Tafels"". I guess it goes to 12 instead of just 10. I might want to start with the free one...

The basic one goes to 12s. Both these apps are by the same company, I wish I knew the differences (but I don't). Is the regular "Kruis Tafels" free?

I hope you like this one. Between the soft colors and the need to statagize I find this one "calming."

Where Rocket Math is "stimulating." Yin and Yang.

Bill

For puzzley math stuff...there is a Tangram app which all my kids love. There is also an App called Newton....which has fun classical music in the backround...and you solve physics problems (not with math...with the way you put things together...) My boys LOVE it....and recognize lots of classical music now...(I catch them humming;)

Faithe

What do you like for world geography? ;) I have several and am currenty mostly unhappy with them. I especially want one that is not for little kids, and doesn't place a continent in the middle of nowhere, attached to nothing, near nothing etc.

The only app I have for world geography is "Stack the Countries" by the same company that makes Rocket Math and Stack the States. No, I am not a paid flack :D

Stack the States was a brilliant success with my son. Stack the Countries was great fun for me (as I have been somewhat obsessive about studying political-maps since childhood) but it was a little complex for my son at 7. So it has been sidelined for now. We do have a big world map over his bed and we often get in a quick game of find the country before bed.

I don't know any other world geography apps.

Bill

The basic one goes to 12s. Both these apps are by the same company, I wish I knew the differences (but I don't). Is the regular "Kruis Tafels" free?
Yes, the regular one is free. I went ahead and bought the paid one since I noticed it also goes to 12. I'll let you know if I find out what is different.

I don't mind sponsoring these developers, particularly if their work helps to educate our children! :001_smile:

The only app I have for world geography is "Stack the Countries" by the same company that makes Rocket Math and Stack the States. No, I am not a paid flack :D

Stack the States was a brilliant success with my son. Stack the Countries was great fun for me (as I have been somewhat obsessive about studying political-maps since childhood) but it was a little complex for my son at 7. So it has been sidelined for now. We do have a big world map over his bed and we often get in a quick game of find the country before bed.

I don't know any other world geography apps.

Bill

I want you to be a paid flack for the best of everything app. I'd trust you. lol :001_smile: We have both Stack games. My biggest issue is the music ;). We have one that could be great --World Geography-- but isn't.

For puzzley math stuff...there is a Tangram app which all my kids love. There is also an App called Newton....which has fun classical music in the backround...and you solve physics problems (not with math...with the way you put things together...) My boys LOVE it....and recognize lots of classical music now...(I catch them humming;)

Faithe

Thanks, Faithe! Can you please confirm the apps you are recommending match the links below?

Tangram

Newton' Cradle: Physics ++ (I don't see anything called "Newton" for iPad.)

We have GeoMaster Plus for geography. It's challenging but so far dd likes it. I don't think it was free. I tried to look up how much the app costs but it doesn't show me because I already downloaded it.

We also have stack the countries. DD plays it but not as much as stack the states. I think mostly because she knows the state information better.

Sheppardsoftware is great for geography but unfortunately there is not an app for it, you have to play it on a pc.

Math Games Bingo
My dd6 likes Rocket Math but prefers Math Bingo. Rocket Math works on a lot of different math skills. Math Bingo is nice because you can set it to just multiplication or just division for practice. It was either free or close to it because I don't spend much on apps.
Assuming Math Games Bingo and Math Bingo are the same thing, I think I'm going to have to look into that.

What I see happening is that DS7 is avoiding Timez Attack and preferring Rocket Math. Why? Because he's weak in multiplication! :glare: He simple does addition on Rocket Math. Timez Attack is "unfair" and it "doesn't give enough time".

I guess you can lead a homeschooling student to a computer game but you can't force him to learn his multiplication tables! :tongue_smilie:

Assuming Math Games Bingo and Math Bingo are the same thing, I think I'm going to have to look into that.

What I see happening is that DS7 is avoiding Timez Attack and preferring Rocket Math. Why? Because he's weak in multiplication! :glare: He simple does addition on Rocket Math. Timez Attack is "unfair" and it "doesn't give enough time".

I guess you can lead a homeschooling student to a computer game but you can't force him to learn his multiplication tables! :tongue_smilie:

My dd is like this. For her, the games work to increase speed and to nail down the stray hard ones. But, she already needs to know most of them(even slowly or by quick figuring) or she gets frustrated. For example, she now enjoys practicing addition on her flashmaster. She knows almost all of them, but I'm using it to get rid of the few remaining finger-counting facts she has. Last year, when she was learning them......she hated it and got very discouraged. We've started on multiplication and I'm eyeing Timez Attack.....but it'll be a while before I start her on it.

Sheppardsoftware is great for geography but unfortunately there is not an app for it, you have to play it on a pc.

Oh my gosh, Sophia! You don't know how happy I am for this! I lost of all of my Favorites a bit ago in a systems crash. I have been trying to recall the name of that site since! Thank you!

They should consider an app. ;)

We have GeoMaster Plus for geography. It's challenging but so far dd likes it. I don't think it was free. I tried to look up how much the app costs but it doesn't show me because I already downloaded it.

We also have stack the countries. DD plays it but not as much as stack the states. I think mostly because she knows the state information better.

I tried to find that, but it's not showing...I must have downloaded it already. What does the iphone app look like? Color etc I can't seem to find it in the store, my iPad, or my iPhone.

I tried to find that, but it's not showing...I must have downloaded it already. What does the iphone app look like? Color etc I can't seem to find it in the store, my iPad, or my iPhone.

for some reason the first time I typed geomaster in the search just now it didn't show up. I searched for geography and found it on the 3rd or 4th page of geography apps. Then I searched again wondering why it didn't find it and it showed up under geomaster. No idea why that happened:glare:. I did find out in the process they have a free app called GeoMaster US States. I hadn't seen that before.

It's definately formatted for the ipad. Visuamobile is the developer.

Yep, that's why I mentioned the Math Bingo. In Rocket Math dd seems to be more focused on building her rockets than doing math. In Math Bingo she has to get problems right to earn some sort of bingo bugs to sling around. She finds it quite entertaining but ends up doing a lot of math. You can also have him practice basic division in the app.

We liked Math Bingo, but it is more appealing to little ones IMO. Or should I say my son liked it very much when 5 or 6, but now thinks it is babyish. Tastes change.

Bill (who misses Bob the Builder :D)

ETA: The "math facts" in Math Bingo are not the problem (as they scale up to "difficult," it's that the "incentive" (winning little figures that bounce around) gets old. I'm sure rockets will get old too.

Edited by Spy Car

Tastes do change. My 7 y/o w/ASD likes it. My older two 10 & 11 prefer math games, such as Muggins and Think Fun's Math Dice or Lure of the Labrynth on the computer.

I can say we got our money's worth out of Math Bingo. It was very well played. I still have the "boing" sound-effects stuck in my head :D

Bill

O.K. perhaps they are NOT the same game. Here they are in the App Store:

Math Bingo

Math Games Bingo + Racing

I'm a little confused: Is Math Games Bingo + Racing what acurtis75@yahoo.com is recommending that can restrict the game to multiplication?

Some basic apps with no frills my kids have liked are:

Math Drills Lite

MathBoard--addition only on free version

They have free versions but ads at bottom.

Mathboard's paid version is 4.99 (imo hi for an app!) but can do so much more, including squares and square roots.

These are more like math fact drills, but have few features my kids like. For example, on math drills lite, it times them and they can strive to get faster, but it is not a stressful kind of timing with big flashing counter.

Also, for pc or mac, xtramath.org is an excellent free way for kids to practice math skills. They do progress tests and can practice. It tracks the problems they need to work on. Been really good for my older kids to get their facts down.