Menu

Need Ideas for a Welcome Basket

We have new tenants moving into our house (finally, yay!) and want to make them feel welcome when they arrive to their new home. My husband suggested we make them a welcome basket since they are driving across the country and will be arriving at their new home on the day before Thanksgiving.

We don't live close enough to bring them hot food or anything like that, so the basket would have to be non-perishable and something we could leave on the counter several days ahead.

Ideas? What would be nice/useful to find in a welcome basket?

Maybe have some treats they can eat, like some apples and big juicy oranges along with some kettle corn or chips and salsa. I'd probably put a bag of pasta and jar of spaghetti sauce, so they can whip up a quick meal when they get a pot unpacked. Maybe put some paper plates, napkins, cups, etc. in the basket so they can eat without having to find anything.

Remember It's a Wonderful Life?

Bread so that this house will never know hunger; salt, that life may always have flavor; and wine, that joy and prosperity will reign forever.

You can add other things: kitchen towels, honey, olive oil, wooden spoons, etc.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I agree with the idea of including a bunch of local favorites and suggestions. If you are familiar with great doctors and all that sort of stuff that would probably really be appreciated.

I think the paper products idea as well as hand soaps and disinfecting wipes would be helpful. These are the types of things I would be excited to find moving in somewhere. And maybe a small gift card and sales flyer to the best local grocer.

I would put in a bunch of take-out menus that DELIVER! Get a good variety, unless you know their food tastes. I would also pack in some paper plates, cups, napkins and plastic cutlery along with a bottle of wine (and bottle opener), a map of the area and any brochures that your area has for entertainment, attractions, etc.

We move a lot. I would love a welcome basket like what you are talking about from the people we rent from... alas we have only bought or lived on Army bases... however we have received great help from neighbors.

The best thing I have gotten yet was a hand drawn map of the neighborhood with peoples names, their children, even their pets. Since we had already moved in there was a list of vets too, because we have pets.

I also would suggest a list of local grocery stores and gas stations. Including information about prices... ie this station tends to have the best prices.

We had to stay in temporary housing once, and arrived after an all day drive. It was wonderful to see a welcome basket with spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, cookies (store bought), and bread sticks so we could make a quick meal. I would toss in a couple cans of two different vegetables so the meal is not all carbs, and perhaps some bottled water or coffee. Local takeout menus is also a good idea.

You will certainly make a good impression as a caring landlord, and I think your new tenants will appreciate the welcome.