Menu

Do you use R&S a year behind...

we used first language lessons ( the 1&2 book) then moved straight into Rod and Staff book 3. we then just continued on from there, when one book was finished we started the next. I work on ability instead of grade.

I think there are more FLL books now.

:iagree: We did/are doing the same here.

as recommended in the WTM? I have a third grader, so if we went that route we would use second grade materials. The problem: I've heard grades 1-2 were a waste of time for some. :confused:

I must have missed that part in WTM:confused: I would start with R&S 3. It starts from th beginning and is very gentle.

Lisa

We are not quite a year behind. The Biblical context can be hard for some of the children. They need to understand the subject content of the sentences. IMO This can make R&S harder than perhaps Hake, for an example.

With that noted, I work more as a poster metnioned previously in this thread, which is to master the material and work with the current ability of the child. If this means one or two books behind, so be it.

We are a public school transfer to homeschool, and so some areas, such as grammar, are remedial. Writing was a mess. Oh, she could write an essay, but I couldn't read it, understand it, or even find very many sentences for that matter. LOL

I bought the book for grade and tried it. I ended up buying the book a grade behind. So, start with grade level. The worst is that it must sit on the shelf for several months. :) This is better than wasting the time and money on the book behind that you may not need.

as recommended in the WTM? I have a third grader, so if we went that route we would use second grade materials. The problem: I've heard grades 1-2 were a waste of time for some. :confused:

WTM doesn't recommend a grade behind. In the 3rd edition, on page 56, it says that if you don't want to continue with FLL1&2, you can use Beginning Wisely: English 3, followed by Building with Diligence: English 4.

I've seen HOD use R&S a year behind. I wouldn't personally recommend that to most people in the younger years. I have grades 2, 3, and 4 on the shelf. The grade 2 book was too easy for my first grader. The grade 3 book was better, but still pretty easy for 2nd grade. I went to FLL because it is actually more rigorous at those levels. I know the difficulty ramps up in the later years, but the early years are VERY gentle and slow. In the grade 2 books, it spends the first 6 weeks talking about complete sentence vs. phrase. Then it spent 6 weeks talking about nouns. Etc, etc. I can see why WTM book doesn't recommend R&S 2 at all. It has you start with 3 in 3rd grade.

Also, you can step into R&S 3 without any prior grammar knowledge. It goes over everything from the beginning. It is definitely a more interesting book than 2. The lessons vary some from day to day (and there is oral review in the TM, daily, so I recommend using that for the spiral review).

I don't remember that in TWTM. We are actually using it a grade ahead. My son is in first and we use the second grade book. We do of all orally. I turn some exercises into worksheets by typing them up for him. His writing stamina is getting better. Next year we will do a little more writing. If we waited to use it a year behind, he would be bored with it. Just use it at the level that works for your child, all kids are different.

There isn't a first-grade English text. :-)

The second grade text I would expect to be unnecessary for some children, but not for others. YMMV. :-)

We use it at grade level for English. One dd does math and spelling a grade ahead. Nothing a grade behind.

I am thinking in the older years in WTM if your child is starting in the middle and hasn't had grammar then it suggests starting a grade behind. But that wouldn't apply to the early years. It is very gentle.

I am thinking in the older years in WTM if your child is starting in the middle and hasn't had grammar then it suggests starting a grade behind. But that wouldn't apply to the early years. It is very gentle.

Yes, in the high school section, it says if the student hasn't had formal grammar, to start in R&S 7 in grade 9. That's the only mention of doing it "behind" grade level, that I can find. You wouldn't plop a 9th grader with no formal grammar instruction into R&S 9, but they can start in R&S 7.

I put my 4th grader in 3rd grade R&S because I looked them both over and realized that my daughter didn't have a good formal grammar background and wanted her to start out gently but solidly, which is what R&S 3 provides. She is really enjoying it and is retaining a lot. One of my favorite decisions from this school year. It may not be necessary for other children, but it was necessary in my daughter's situation.