Menu

Best sleeping med?

I need something to help me sleep. I've become a ridiculously light sleeper, AND I have horrible back pain that keeps me up at night. But I'm guessing Tylenol PM wouldn't be safe to take every night (because Tylenol is hard on the liver, right? or is it the kidneys?)

I tried Unisom last night and it just made me loopy and out of it, even into the morning. I do NOT like that feeling.

Have any of you found a sleeping med that works well, doesn't continue on into the next day, and doesn't just cause you to be loopy? :bigear:

IMHO, it depends on your body. What works for one might not for another. It's kind of like asking what is the best pain reliever.

Melantonin is working for me right now, extended release. I also use "True Calm" by NOW - herbal.

I have taken various prescriptions in the past after decades of poor sleep. They have advantages and disadvantages.

The melatonin and true calm help me sleep but not groggy the next morning and wake up without being loopy in the middle of the night if the baby needs me.

The Benadryl (in Tylenol PM) gives me leg cramps and a grumpy mood the next day. I have better luck in terms of slightly stronger stuff with whatever the ingredient is in the Costco/Kirkland brand sleep aid (not the Benadryl stuff).

Edited by WeeBeaks

Tylenol PM gives me a headache, which I understand is strange. In addition to the headache, it takes me hours the next day to "shake it off".

I'm really sensitive to most medications, so even non-drowsy formulas of most allergy/cold medicine will make me sleepy. However, I do take about half of a pill of Walmart brand Equate Allergy medication. This is the green lid bottle (they have several formulas with different colored lids). It contains cetirizine, which is an antihistamine. It will pretty much put me to sleep in half an hour. Since I often have allergies, too, it helps with that.

Another OTC item that makes me very sleepy and puts me to sleep is melatonin. You can buy it anywhere vitamin and supplements are sold, including the local Walmart or drug store. I usually only take half a pill of that, and it does the trick.

The problem, for me, with melatonin is that some experts say it bothers Rheumatoid Arthritis and other auto-immune diseases. If you have an autoimmune disease you may want to research this yourself. Because of the implications and because I have RA, I no longer take melatonin until such time I am certain it isn't going to have adverse effects.

Aleve helps me for times when I've got a lot of pain interfering with sleep and I use melatonin to fall asleep. I find lack of sleep increases my pain issues so they build on each other so, generally, solid sleep helps me with my pain control. FWIW, this study found Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) the least risky of the NSAIDS.

If you want to try melatonin I'd try extended release in your case and lowest effective dose. Here is a 300 mcg (so .3 mg--your drugstore probably carries 3 mg for comparison and that's way too much) and also a 750 mcg (.75 mg) dose. If you take a high dose it can sometimes cause vivid dreams, waking as it wears off, drowsy in the morning, building tolerance, etc.

If I remember Benadryl reduces sleep quality, REM sleep I believe and maybe more, so I wouldn't do it routinely.

I was a light sleeper. I found out I had mild sleep apnea and upper airway resistance syndrome (so I was coming out of deep sleep a lot of maintain airway to avoid apnea). Treating that has greatly improved my quality of sleep and that does help my pain.

IMHO, it depends on your body. What works for one might not for another. It's kind of liking asking what is the best pain reliever.

:iagree: The best advice I would give is if you want a prescription medication, work with your doctor to find one that works best for you. I'm about to give up on finding one because I haven't had good luck with the ones I've tried. They fall into two categories: they don't work on me at all or they make me feel groggy/drugged for an hour or more when I wake up regardless of the number of hours I sleep.

And just as an example, many ladies on this board hate Ambien and say it does crazy things to them including hallucinations. But on me? Nothing. Nada. Nope. It doesn't help me fall asleep any quicker than without it, nor does it keep me asleep during the night. And I do not have any side effects. It's like I'm taking a sugar pill. :(

ETA: Oh, and if you are only looking for OTC, then I can't help. Nothing OTC works for me. That's why my dr. started trying various sleeping meds.

Edited by Night Elf

The honest answer is "the one that works for you".

That said, herbal combinations of valerian and hops work very well, are not hormonal (like melatonin), and generally do not make you groggy. St John's wort is great for chronic pain, skullcap is good for muscle relaxation. Yogi Bedtime tea has valerian, St Johns wort and skullcap, so that might be helpful in getting you to restful sleep.

If you want OTC, Alteriel (sp?) is good without any side effects in the am.

Otherwise Zolpidem is good using half before bed and half if you wake half way through the night according to DH.

But everyone is different. If I took a Benedryl, with one, I'm completely trashed for two days.

I have a bad back, but Ibuprofen I'll sleep fine.

But after finding out I had a bum thyroid, I now sleep normally again after taking my med for that.

My kids used to use melatonin, but it stopped working for them.

Now they usually use Somarest, but sometimes use Alteril.

The dosage for Somarest is supposed to be 2 capsules, but my kids take just 1 when they take it. My 13yo will sometimes take one at bedtime and then again if she wakes up during the night.

Benadryl doesn't work for any of my kids anymore.