Menu

Best/least expensive beef to buy for stew?

The stew meat they sell at the grocery stores around here costs about $3.50/pound. If I buy enough for a nice dinner with my family and ds24 and ddil it will cost about $10-$12 just for the meat. I have a great recipe for beef stew which I'd like to make for Sunday dinner from time to time. It cooks in the oven while we are at church and is perfect for cold weather. But I don't want to spend that much just for the meat.

Is there a specific cut of meat I can buy that is significantly cheaper that I can cut up myself to make beef stew with?

When I buy store beef, I wait for roasts to go on sale. Any roast will work great for stew, so I just would go with the cheapest cut, but chuck roasts are probably my fave. BOGO sales are usually great deals, and many stores have them regularly. Then I just get a big pile of roasts, take them to the butcher counter, ask them to cut them into stew meat for me, and go shopping while they cut them up for me. Most groceries will do this for free and are very nice about it, and will even pull more roasts out of the back for you if the cuts/sizes up front aren't sufficient.

I often make 18# of beef into a stew at one time (OAMC), and before we started buying half cows (and a few times when we've been between cows, lol), I've done this many times at many groceries. They've always been very nice about it. Just can't go late at night when the butcher counter is closed.

When I make beef stew for a crowd (well, twice in my life), I bought the cheapest meat I could find (I think it was chuck), cubed it, pressure cooked it for about 20 minutes in flavorful broth, and then poured the whole mess into a stock pot I had browned onions, carrots and peas in the bottom of, and then simmered gently. The last 20 minutes I added diced taters. Everyone lapped it up.

I simmered the stew with one of those muslin tea bags packed with pepper corns, parsley stems, a bay leaf, a wee bit of lemon rind or a slice of fresh ginger, and a bit of whole coriander seed. Didn't taste of lemon or ginger, but gave it a freshness. I think I learned that trick from Graham Kerr.

I'm with those who say to buy an inexpensive roast and cut it up, but I just have to say this - $3.50 a pound for any beef that isn't ground, is a "stock up" price around here. Even ground beef at that price would mean it's on sale.

This. $3.50/lb is as good as it gets IME unless you're wanting to pay upfront for a side of beef direct from a farmer.

The regular price of chuck roast here is $2.99.

That is if one shops at a supermarket geared more towards an "ethnic" clientele, which here in Los Angeles means not only better quality (as these supermarkets have actual butcher-counters unlike the traditional "supers" where the meat comes in pre-packaged) and customers who know and demand "fresh" meat and produce, but it also costs less.

Bill