Menu

Feeling a little homesick

I left South Louisiana 13 years ago. I miss it every stinking day. I would like to share a little bit of the Bayou with y'all.

My Dad considers this the Cajun National Anthem. I can't quite translate all the words, though the name of the song is "Jolie Blonde", which is "Pretty Blonde". Every time I hear this song, my heart aches for home.

I miss the Cajun people. I miss the food. I miss the tradition. I miss the music. I miss the culture.

Just had to share.

:grouphug:

We're transplants here going on almost 10 years and we have talked of moving a few times, to be a little closer to family...but it never happens. We love it here!

Hope you can return soon to visit a while...especially during crawfish season! :D If you've got a camper, I've got land you can set up on, lol!

Ooooo, Jolie Blonde! I used to hold my little blonde baby girl and sing that to her as we two stepped around the room together. I might have to break out my Balfa Brothers and Mulatte's CDs today.

I miss the Festivals Acadien in September. I miss the scattered Cajun French overheard at the grocery store (Veron's, to be exact). I miss the early morning swamp mist rising to meet the Spanish moss hanging from the cypress trees.

And the food.... Just don't get me started on delicious things you can't find anywhere else. Wendy, do you have a good internet source for ordering (good) andouille and tasso?

For my sister's 40th birthday, my bil had 200 pounds of live crawfish flown to

Wisconsin and hosted a traditional crawfish boil in the driveway. Now that's

love.

Wendy, I get it, chere!

I left South Louisiana 13 years ago. I miss it every stinking day. I would like to share a little bit of the Bayou with y'all.

My Dad considers this the Cajun National Anthem. I can't quite translate all the words, though the name of the song is "Jolie Blonde", which is "Pretty Blonde". Every time I hear this song, my heart aches for home.

I miss the Cajun people. I miss the food. I miss the tradition. I miss the music. I miss the culture.

Just had to share.

:grouphug: I left the bayou 32 years ago (ok so not really the Bayou, at that point, but my g-grandparents were from Houma, Thibodaux, etc.) -- three sides of my family have been in South Louisiana for 150-300 years, so it's definitely in my blood.

I was then raised up and down the East coast, in the coastal forests.

Then I got married, and my husband returned to the west 17 years ago. He did take me to Seattle for a year, but he didn't like it. Oh, I miss the forests. A few scrubby trees here and there just isn't the same, and he truly doesn't get it. We had a really small forest of pine trees about an hour away, and I used to love to go out there and smell it. But it all burned down this summer (most of it, anyway). I'm really going to miss it. We're closer now to the ocean than we once were. Funny, I grew up within minutes of world-class beaches and hardly ever went, but I miss the ocean, too. I need to get down to the beach again soon, maybe here in the off season, to get a recharge. A visit always makes me a little sad to leave, but it really does recharge part of my spirit, too.

Edited by higginszoo

I'm from La. too. Central La. So I'm more of a "red-neck" ... Red River levee living. :D

I miss La. also. There is no other place with the culture, food, music, converstation, relationships, or diversity.

I'm drinking Community this morning. :D

Higgins: I was a forester in La.! "Real" trees there!

Auntie: I can buy Andouille at Whole Foods.

By the way....... this is "gumbo weather."

Edited by Pam L in Mid Tenn
add

I'm from La. too. Central La. So I'm more of a "red-neck" ... Red River levee living. :D

I miss La. also. There is no other place with the culture, food, music, converstation, relationships, or diversity.

I'm drinking Community this morning. :D

Higgins: I was a forester in La.! "Real" trees there!

Auntie: I can buy Andouille at Whole Foods.

By the way....... this is "gumbo weather."

You Yankee! Anyone born north of Alexandria is a Yankee;):lol:.

Auntie, I can find Andouille at some local stores. No one here has heard of Tasso. I do order some things online. I like Poche's.