Menu

Affordable, no sodium laurel sulfide hand soaps

How do your hands react to SLS? I'm asking because my older daughter gets extremely dry hands in cooler weather and I never even thought that it might be something to do with SLS.

I know you were asking the OP, but DS1's hands look almost like they have chemical burns on them if he uses triclosan or alcohol based hand sanitizer.

I have a horrible time with soap. I'm not honestly sure if it's SLS, fragrance chemicals, or what with me but if I even have to use a restroom away from home and wash hands just once I get a severe rash and even hives. It's a mess. My son is similar but not as severe.

Anyway, I use California Baby Super Sensitive which is expensive but I buy their gallon refills and then put it in foaming soap dispensers (purchased by the case from those soap making places) so it lasts a long time here. If you have something you like you might think about bulk purchasing and/or making it last longer with a foaming dispenser.

I have a horrible time with soap. I'm not honestly sure if it's SLS, fragrance chemicals, or what with me but if I even have to use a restroom away from home and wash hands just once I get a severe rash and even hives. It's a mess. My son is similar but not as severe.

Anyway, I use California Baby Super Sensitive which is expensive but I buy their gallon refills and then put it in foaming soap dispensers (purchased by the case from those soap making places) so it lasts a long time here. If you have something you like you might think about bulk purchasing and/or making it last longer with a foaming dispenser.

:iagree: We buy a huge bottle of Dr. Bronner's for $13 or so via Vitacost and use just a squirt or two in a foaming pump bottle full of water. Works great and the bottle lasts forever.

We use a squirt of Dr. Bronner's with a lot of water in a foaming hand soap dispenser. A $10 bottle of Dr. Bronner's lasts for months that way. You don't need an expensive dispenser -- we just refill a Method foaming hand wash dispenser (about $3 at Target). (The Method stuff does have SLS in it.)

All across my knuckles and the area on the back of my hands between my thumb and index finger get a chemical burn appearance and itch like crazy. I don't have a TJ's here (Can.). I know the health food section of our store does sell Dr. Bonners, so I'll try that. You just water it down a bit?

The product I've used for the past several years is by NatureClean http://www.naturecleanliving.com/all_natural_liquid_soap just the unscented regular - not antibacterial. I don't use any anti bacterial soaps, so I don't think it is anything that pertains to them specifically. My hands were always burned looking and itchy until I tried the NatureClean. I was just hoping I could find a cheaper alternative.

All across my knuckles and the area on the back of my hands between my thumb and index finger get a chemical burn appearance and itch like crazy. I don't have a TJ's here (Can.). I know the health food section of our store does sell Dr. Bonners, so I'll try that. You just water it down a bit?

The product I've used for the past several years is by NatureClean http://www.naturecleanliving.com/all_natural_liquid_soap just the unscented regular - not antibacterial. I don't use any anti bacterial soaps, so I don't think it is anything that pertains to them specifically. My hands were always burned looking and itchy until I tried the NatureClean. I was just hoping I could find a cheaper alternative.

In a foaming pumper, water it down A LOT. Dr. B's is a very lathery, rich soap to begin with. Seriously, like one or two squirts of soap, the rest water.

We buy a huge bottle of Dr. Bronner's for $13 or so via Vitacost and use just a squirt or two in a foaming pump bottle full of water. Works great and the bottle lasts forever.

We use a squirt of Dr. Bronner's with a lot of water in a foaming hand soap dispenser. A $10 bottle of Dr. Bronner's lasts for months that way. You don't need an expensive dispenser -- we just refill a Method foaming hand wash dispenser (about $3 at Target). (The Method stuff does have SLS in it.)

:iagree: This is what we use too. Works great!