Menu

what to do with a pumpkin....

I have a bery large pumpkin that we never got around to carving. Can I make pies with it, or do you have to use the smaller "pie" pumpkins? If I can use it....what do I do? Any good recipie? I am sure I could do a couple of pies, maybe something else.....I have never made anything with pumpkin....

The big pumpkins you buy for carving and decorating are usually not all that yummy. It's the smaller, "sugar" pie pumpkins that have the right flavor and texture for baking. I'd skip using them for eating. It's not too late to do some type of craft, though. It's still fall! :D Do you have more than one pumpkin? I saw a cute idea on Martha Stewart's website that used three pumpkins stacked to make people to decorate--kind of like snowmen, just with pumpkins. The photos showed a whole "family" of pumpkin people, totally adorable. There were other pumpkin crafts that weren't halloween-specific. I'd just do it up for fall and/or Thanksgiving.

I think they work fine for baking. I've made lots of pies out of ex-jack-o'-lanterns. It just seems like such a waste not to. I've had nothing but compliments on the flavor and texture of pies and other baked goods made with them.

Clean it out, cut it in half (or whatever size chunks are easiest for you to work with) and put the pieces cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet. You'll want to use the kind with a rim around the edges. If you want, you can pour a cup or two of water in the pan; it makes the pumpkin a little more tender, but I've done it without and it still worked fine. Bake it until it's soft when you poke it with a fork, and then take it out and let it cool down so you don't burn your fingers. Then scoop all the pumpkin flesh off with a spoon. I mash it by running it through my blender or food processor, but you could do it by hand, it would just take more time and effort. When it's all mushed up I freeze two-cup portions in ziplock bags. Two cups is what my pie recipe calls for.

I make pumpkin from everything but those GIANT ones. Those we leave around the garage until spring and then it'll be an interesting study in decomposition. :D

Just add a little more sugar if it's a pie and process it in a food processor until smooth. No one around here notices whether I use the "sugar pies" or not.

• 2 weeks later...