Menu

Reading books for dd5???

I'm not that familiar with frog and toad, so I dont' know what level that is.

there are a number of "leveled" (1-5) reader series from beginning readers to simple chapter books. just go on a amazon and do a search for level __ reader you feel she is ready for.

good luck

Little Bear books by Elsie Minarik are similar to Frog and Toad. I'd also suggest Margaret Hillert's books, and the Horrible Harry series. The earlier Magic Tree House books are also about this easy (they're also the most poorly written of the MTH series, so be forewarned).

I remember American Girl books being a little more advanced.

You might find the Accelerated Reader site helpful in finding approximate reading levels. When you pull up a title, their grade level rating is listed under "BL." (I'm not an AR fan and don't always agree with the ratings, but for this purpose, it's a fair guide.)

I have a dd the same age/ reading level. I think the AG books would be a good gift. You could use them as a read aloud, or have her read a few sentences and then you finish the page. When she is older she can read them again on her own.

My DD doesn't have the endurance yet to get through them on her own but loves the stories and enjoys reading them with me.

Last night we read a couple chapters of The Boxcar Children together. I would read some, and she would read some. She did very well, only had a little bit of trouble with one word (she read "farmhouses" as "farmhouse")

In that case, you could probably easily do the American Girl books that way. They're a good leap from Frog and Toad, but they're about the same level as Boxcar Children.

If she can really read that without trouble, you might start giving her slightly harder books than Frog and Toad. Things like Cynthia Rylant's Cobblestreet Cousins or Lighthouse Family series. Or the Mercy Watson books by Kate DiCamillio. Or the wonderful Nate the Great.

But I would keep around easy books like Frog and Toad, Amelia Bedelia, Henry and Mudge, Poppleton, Dodsworth, Mouse and Mole, Elephant and Piggie, George and Martha and so forth as kids often enjoy reading easy books. And it's good for them - it helps build fluency!