Menu

Gluten free goodies

This will be my first gluten free holiday season. My boys are already upset that they couldn't have pumpkin pie ice cream. I don't want them to be disappointed by lack of yummy holiday desserts.

So that's start a thread with delicious gluten free holiday fare. Because I am in baking mode.

Not my recipe, but my friend whose family eats gf makes these "scones" that are like little soft, fat chocolate chip cookies and are SO GOOD. She makes them pretty much all the time as their default "treat."

2.5 cups almond flour

0.5 teaspoon salt

0.5 teaspoon baking soda

0.33333333333 cup oil (i use sunflower or grapeseed usually, but butter has also been successful)

0.25 cup maple syrup

2 eggs

1 cup chocolate

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients, then add to dry. a little under 1/4 cup batter per scone. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. 350 degrees for around 15 minutes, sometimes more.

Just noting that you can freeze gf cookie dough (I freeze them pre-formed in little balls). I try to do a lot of freezing in November so I can literally whip them out in December. It is HARD for little ones to see Christmas goodies and not be able to eat them (even though most of what you see in stores tastes really blah).

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 c. creamy peanut butter

1 c. sugar

1 large egg

Mix together. Roll into balls. Press flat with your fingers (about 1/4 inch thick). Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Yum! You can also add 1/4 c (-ish) of cocoa powder or shaved dark chocolate for cookies that taste like peanut butter cups... mmmmmm.

I just made this recipe from Annie's:

1-15 oz. can pumpkin puree

1/3 c sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 tsp ground cloves

2 cups vanilla pudding

1 c whipping cream

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cups crushed Annie's gluten-free gingersnaps

Mix the pumpkin, sugar and spices. Stir in the pudding. In a separate bowl, whip the cream. Add the sugar and vanilla.

You can serve it in a glass bowl or individual glasses. Layer half the pumpkin mixture, half the cookies, half the whipped cream, then repeat. Serves 4.

Everyone loved it!

This will be my first gluten free holiday season. My boys are already upset that they couldn't have pumpkin pie ice cream. I don't want them to be disappointed by lack of yummy holiday desserts.

Good news: Dreyer's/Edy's pumpkin ice cream is gluten free.:)

If you're interested in some shortcut recipes using Betty Crocker GF mixes you might want to try some of these recipes:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/health-and-diet/gluten%20free

I also like Anne Byrn's cookbook, The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free.

Edited by Laurie

Have you tried Pamela's Mix? It makes *great* scones, cookies, etc. It's my favorite GF mix.

My other obsession right now is cheesecake. You can make one with gluten free graham cracker or cookie crumbs.

Also great is ice cream with cooked fruit and some GF granola sprinkled on top (or mix some oats into the fruit as it cooks). It's the quick GF version of cobbler a la mode.

:D

This is a huge favorite for my GF bunch.

PUMPKIN PIE FILLING

2 C cooked pumpkin or butternut squash

3/4 C. to 1 C. honey

1/4 C. melted butter ( or oil or coconut butter)

4 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp. nutmeg

1/2 tsp. cloves

2 egg yolks

4 egg whites

1. Puree the squash in the food processor.

2. Mix all ingredients EXCEPT egg whites.

3. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.

4. Gently fold egg whites into pumpkin mix.

5. Bake in a pie dish at 350 for ~50 minutes.

Edited by StillLearning

Go to Flour Arrangements. She has some great looking holiday fare, including a luscious looking pumpkin pie. It's not pumpkin pie ice cream but... (I'm dying to try her pumpkin empanadas)

Thanks for this link.

Just noting that you can freeze gf cookie dough (I freeze them pre-formed in little balls). I try to do a lot of freezing in November so I can literally whip them out in December. It is HARD for little ones to see Christmas goodies and not be able to eat them (even though most of what you see in stores tastes really blah).

Good idea.

Good news: Dreyer's/Edy's pumpkin ice cream is gluten free.:)

You just made my day!

Have you tried Pamela's Mix? It makes *great* scones, cookies, etc. It's my favorite GF mix.

I use Pamela's bread mix. Haven't tried the baking mix. Which do you use?

I use the Pamela's bread mix to replace wheat flour in recipes. Sometimes it works and other times not so much. I tried to make a cake I found in the Living Without magazine, and used the Pamela's mix but it didn't turn out well.

Everything looks great.

We just made candy apples and they were a huge hit. We used the red candy apple mix from the store and dipped green apples in, so they were a pretty red/green combination that would be cute for Christmas. We rolled ours in pumpkin seeds but you could roll them in nuts.

We also made GF rice crispy treats. You have to look around for GF rice crispies but there are some brands that say it on the box. We shaped ours into pumpkins using a cookie cutter but you could do any shape.

This is coming from someone who doesn't have time/energy to bake much (new baby expected in a few weeks) :

We love the Pamela's chocolate chip cookie mix, and it's super easy. I've been told by more than one non-GF person that they're the best chocolate chip cookies they've ever had. :)

Banana splits are a favorite for special occasions. The health food store near us has all-natural toppings such as colored sugar, caramel sauce, and maraschino cherries. We put these out along with chopped nuts, raisins, coconut, and liqueur for the grown-ups, and everyone can build their own dessert.

Like a PP, we also make up the pumpkin pie filling and bake it on its own as a pumpkin pudding. We actually like it better without the crust.

My most ambitious plan this year will be to do some homemade tarts with Orgran pastry mix. I've used it for short crust pastry a few times (haven't tried puff yet), and it turned out fine even though I'm not usually much good with that sort of thing. I'm not sure why it got such bad reviews on Amazon, as it seems to be popular in other countries. The "missing" instructions -- i.e., what to do with the pastry once you've made it -- can be found in any standard cookbook.

(Maybe they should rename it "pastry flour blend" for the USA. The one-star reviewers seemed to be under the impression that a "mix" meant that there would be no actual baking skills needed. :001_huh:)

For something very simple, easy, and yummy, I made brown sugar bars from Elizabeth Barbone's Easy Gluten Free Baking book. They aren't holiday bars, specifically, but they are really easy. I think the book has Christmas cookie recipes.

King Arthur Flour's blog and recipe site has some good recipes. Now that we don't have to be GF, I get their box mix for brownies for a family gathering where someone is GF (it's not worth it for me to keep GF ingredients to make stuff from scratch anymore) and I even like them. But they do have from-scratch recipes.

I use Pamela's bread mix. Haven't tried the baking mix. Which do you use?

I use the Pamela's bread mix to replace wheat flour in recipes. Sometimes it works and other times not so much. I tried to make a cake I found in the Living Without magazine, and used the Pamela's mix but it didn't turn out well.

Everything looks great.

I use the baking mix, I've never tried the bread mix. :D my dh has also substituted the baking mix for flour in gravy, cakes, donut dough, etc. I have yet to be disappointed.

What is short pastry? I googled it and the recipe has all purpose flour in it??

Hmm, I guess that is an antipodean term huh. Short pastry is the kind you use for a crust for a sweet pie (with sugar in the crust) or a savoury tart (without the sugar).

I just sub all purpose wheat flour for all purpose GF flour and press into the tin/dish instead of rolling it out.

I have to share that this is by far the best GF pizza crust recipe I've found. (I just finished wolfing down yummy, yummy pizza)

I have made some tweaks, though. I use Mama's Almond Blend flour (because I'm too lazy to make my own flour blend and keep track of all the different components and whether I have them in the house), and I tweaked the amounts of some things - generous cup of water, 1 T sugar, heaped T of yeast, 1.5 tsp gelatin (I double the recipe & 2 tsp was too much, same with salt)... And tonight I let it sit in the pans and proof a bit before par baking.

A double recipe makes 2 large (14") pizzas and could easily make 2 16", if you don't fold the edges under. The crust is standard thin crust - crisp-chewy.

Just found this website from Everday Paleo:

http://www.whitelionbakingco.com/products/white-lion-baking-mixes

Baking mixes are totally Paleo friendly and gluten free. If you live in Massachussetts they will deliever their baked goods. Outside of this state only baking mixes can be shipped and the frostings.

I will be perusing this in the future esp when I am in a time crunch. I usually make something from Elana Amsterdam's cookbooks.

Holly

Hmm, I guess that is an antipodean term huh. Short pastry is the kind you use for a crust for a sweet pie (with sugar in the crust) or a savoury tart (without the sugar).

Just wanted to add that it's called "shortcrust" (or "short" for short :D) because it doesn't puff up. That's also how shortbread cookies get their name. And BTW, shortbread is just as delicious when made with rice flour.

(English "shortcake" = American "shortbread," according to Wikipedia.

But American shortcake contains baking powder, and it does puff up. Puzzling.)