Menu

sewing question - what serger?

So, I am barely delving into the sewing world and am wondering what serger I should get. I know it is an investment- and I don't want to screw up. what are important aspects to have on it, and are there any recommendations you have for specific ones?

FYI I will be sewing kids clothes, simple stuff around the house, maybe some baby diapers, etc. Nothing elaborate, but I want to be able to grow into it's capabilities. It doesn't have to have every bell and whistle, but I don't want to get to a point that I wished it had abilities that it doesn't.

Thanks!

I think the first thing to decide is if you want a serger that has 3/4 thread standard capability, or think you'd desire a 2 or 5 thread option. Another consideration is the ability to do a cover stitch. I have a 3/4 thread mechanical Elna, which does a standard stitch very well. But I found out pretty quickly that I would have really liked a cover stitch to do hems. I end up using my regular machine with a twin needle and wooly nylon in the bobin, but would rather be able to do an actual cover stitch.

Whichever is easiest to thread. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

They are not all hard. My Elna is quite easy to thread.

A friend brought me a 5 thread Bernina that she had borrowed, and neither she, nor anyone else she had enlisted to help, including employees at the local fabric shop, were able to thread it properly. That is one I would skip, unless I could get lessons with experienced teachers.

I'm a cheerleader of Babylock sergers because of their jet air threading feature. I have owned a Babylock Evolve for nearly a decade and it has taken heavy usage with zero problems. I'm a huge fan of the coverlock stitch and it was a big factor in my purchase. It's especially helpful if you plan to sew a lot of knit fabrics. The caveat is that they aren't cheap, but I wouldn't trade mine for anything. There's no substitute for a good machine that doesn't leave you frustrated before you've even sewed one stitch.

Yeah, I am feeling over my head already! LOL. I have no idea what I will want. I will want to do hems, so a cover stitch - yes?

As far as 3/4 or 2 or 5 thread options... No clue. Anyone want to educate me on the difference?

I should call my mom who used to be an avid sewer when all the kids were young, but figured her knowledge of what is out there now is null...

Do not buy a Hsquarva Viking. I have had a serger for almost 20 years and sew almost all exclusively with knits so thought I would upgrade to a machine with a cover stitch. It was almost 1200.00 and I could not get the thing to work. They replaced it once and finally gave me a full refund. I am now terrified to go shopping again as the whole thing was such a disaster. I am going to be content with the twin needle hem for a long time.....

A Babylock wasn't in my budget when I bought my serger, but I bought a Simplicity serger for a little under $200. That was eight years ago, and it's gotten pretty decent use, and it's still going strong. No problems at all, and it's done a really nice job on knits, fleece, light cottons, all sorts of stuff. I do like having a 4-thread machine. I have not really used the rolled hem feature on it, but it can do them. It takes some time to thread, but not very much, and it's really not been a big deal. I would love to have a coverlock stitch for hems, but I generally just mimic that by using a double needle in my sewing machine.

Check out the review section of Pattern Review - lots of wisdom there. The site is kind of hard to navigate but there is a lot of good sewing stuff there. They have reviews of sergers, plus a forum where you can ask more specific questions.

I 100% agree that you should take a look at pattern review.

The review section is a goldmine of information as it has reviews of every brand of machine and there is also a section for pattern reviews. There is also a tips and tricks section.

The forum/message board is really, really good too.

You don't have to sign up as a paying member to look at all the sites different sections or participate on the message board.

The message board is one of the 'tabs' along the top of the site and the easiest way (I found anyway) to find the machine reviews is to look down the left hand side where the darker column is and there should be a small section which has Sewing machine and Serger reviews. Click on it and you should see a list of all the machine brands and if you click on the name, it will come up with every review for that brand. I think the order going down is Sewing, Serger, Coverstitch and then Industrial machines.

p.s pattern review is down at the moment :glare:

I have a Janome 634D. I've had it for years and it's a workhorse.

I think this is what I have, I got it on sale at Hancock fabrics for $200!! It is great!!

Brother 1040D is a highly recommended serger for the under-$300 crowd.

My friend who is a seamstress said not to get anything by brother if you want it to work well for a long time. My mom gave me a brother sewing machine after my grandma's old singer died. The 50 year old machine was more reliable than the brand new one :glare:

So, I am barely delving into the sewing world and am wondering what serger I should get. I know it is an investment- and I don't want to screw up. what are important aspects to have on it, and are there any recommendations you have for specific ones?

FYI I will be sewing kids clothes, simple stuff around the house, maybe some baby diapers, etc. Nothing elaborate, but I want to be able to grow into it's capabilities. It doesn't have to have every bell and whistle, but I don't want to get to a point that I wished it had abilities that it doesn't.

Thanks!

Does this mean you are beginning seamstress? What kind of sewing machine do you have? Why do you think you need a serger?

I have both a sewing machine and a serger and have been sewing for over 40 years. The way your question was worded made me wonder about your sewing experience. A serger is great, but not essential for sewing. It does make your work look more finished and professional. But if you are a beginner, I would recommend you invest in a good sewing machine and master that before investing in a serger. A serger cannot do everything a sewing machine can do.

Mary

P.S. I have a Pfaff serger and Bernina sewing machine. Both great.

I'm a Bernina fan. I sew kids clothes, household stuff, fun stuff. I use my serger all the time and have never had a problem with it. And it is easy to thread. I can thread the whole thing in less than 3 minutes. It is a Bernina 800DL.

http://www.berninausa.com/product_detail-n5-i8-sUS.html

I love it. And if you buy from a local dealer, they have great service.

Yes, I am a total beginner. I don't think I NEED a serger... more of a want. I don't even know what type of sewing machine I have (it's downstairs). I haven't used it almost at all in the past few years, but am anxious to sew for my kiddos. I just know how much my mom loved her serger and I like the look of how finished things look with it. ...Am I crazy for wanting one? Is it totally unnecessary?

Yes, I am a total beginner. I don't think I NEED a serger... more of a want. I don't even know what type of sewing machine I have (it's downstairs). I haven't used it almost at all in the past few years, but am anxious to sew for my kiddos. I just know how much my mom loved her serger and I like the look of how finished things look with it. ...Am I crazy for wanting one? Is it totally unnecessary?

My thought is, it is unnecessary, but if you can find one in your budget and it will get you excited to sew, it might be worth the money.

My DD does some sewing, (Home Ec class we did her senior year )..however, the serger sews so fast that it's hard for her to not make mistakes. I Keep telling her I sewed thousands of garments over many years without a serger. I learned how to sew and then enhanced it with the serger later.

I suggest you get out that sewing machine and plan some projects and see if a serger will really enhance those projects that much. Serger first and foremost are finishing machines. They make the inside of the garment look fabulous. And you do need to remember they take 4 spools of thread.......and they are not cheap. They do last pretty much forever once you have bought them.

Don't start with a coverstitch..twin needle hem is much easier to accomplish and a twin needle is much cheaper than a serger.