Menu

CA Homeschoolers

CA homeschoolers, can you tell me if you go with a charter school or psp or if you still file your own affidavit once your children hit HIGH SCHOOL.

We are considering a PSP that would charge us approx $400 a year. That would cover maintaining transcripts, meetings with an adviser, and eventually the creation of a diploma. Testing and extra-curricular activities would incur additional costs.

Have any of you just done this yourself? Is it difficult to deal with testing, college admissions, etc.

We will be filing a Private School Affidavit next year, just like we did this year.

The major downside to homeschooling high school is the fact you can not get a a-g diploma homeschooling. This is important for trying to get into UC and CSU schools. It isn't impossible to get in without it, but different rules apply.

I hope someone with older kids replies too. My oldest is eighth grade age this year so we haven't actually gotten there yet.

We file an affadavit (for dd 15).

There are a number of cover schools that will let you sign up in your child's senior year (for a slightly higher fee than their usual yearly tuition), and will retroactively create a transcript from your records and your child's portfolio and grant an accredited diploma; I believe that Clonlara and NARHS in Maine are two of them. I'm keeping this tucked in the back of my mind as a way to get around the a-g diploma issue if need be, but at the moment, we're very very happy indeed going our own way.

JennW (who lives down the road from me) has one son who went through a charter all four years; he now attends a technical school in Florida.

Her younger son went to the same charter for 9th grade; she filed an R-4 thereafter and he's attending community college full time for his senior year. He's applied to several small liberal arts colleges in the Northwest and Midwest and is getting VERY encouraging responses from them.

CA homeschoolers, can you tell me if you go with a charter school or psp or if you still file your own affidavit once your children hit HIGH SCHOOL.

We are considering a PSP that would charge us approx $400 a year. That would cover maintaining transcripts, meetings with an adviser, and eventually the creation of a diploma. Testing and extra-curricular activities would incur additional costs.

Have any of you just done this yourself? Is it difficult to deal with testing, college admissions, etc.

We would have continued to file an affidavit through high school, except that I owned/administered a PSP. :D

$400 for one child? :blink: That's a bundle. I would expect extra-curricular activities (whatever those are) to not be included. Testing is not required by the state; for $400 I'd expect it to be included, though.

We did community college instead of high school. Dds began taking classes at the community college when they were 14. They were guaranteed to be admitted to the CalState or UC systems as transfer students (one transferred to San Jose State, the other decided to continue). The dd who transferred never had to show a high school transcript. The other dd did apply to and was accepted to a private college; we did a high school transcript, and she also had her c.c. transcript. We just couldn't come up with $30,000 a year.:eek:

Many homeschoolers in our city have gone the community college route in the past but unfortunately that option if quickly running out. Our local cc has over 20,000 students and now accepts homeschoolers and dual enrollment students DEAD last. Budget restrictions have really had a negative impact on the dual enrollment program. The waiting lists are insane.

Sigh.

$400 does feel steep but it is actually the cheapest option in town. Nothing is included beyond transcripts and advising. High School seems expensive enough. I really hate having to add $400 extra just for someone else to rubber stamp my paperwork, kwim?

I don't really want my children attending USC or CSU but I also don't want to limit their choices.

Many homeschoolers in our city have gone the community college route in the past but unfortunately that option if quickly running out. Our local cc has over 20,000 students and now accepts homeschoolers and dual enrollment students DEAD last.

Ours too. Jennifer had her older son take the CHPSE in 10th grade, which allowed him then to register for the cc classes as a regular student, ahead of homeschoolers and dual enrollment kids. I'm planning on having dd take that this coming spring just in case we want to go the cc route, because it seems like the only way to get her into classes.

We just filed a private school affidavit for dd who started 9th grade. We were w a charter but decided to go it alone (charter without any ap's and couldn't certify any a-g classes). We are using ap homeschoolers and it is going so well! If you think you dc can qualify by exam only, then don't worry about it. Someone mentioned an east coast company who can "certify" your diploma. This would not by any means certify a-g classes. You can only get a-g through a certified school, or use cc. I asked the same questions about one month ago, so search "California". Camom (thinking this is her name here on the boards) son was excepted to several uc's by exam only! Hth

Someone mentioned an east coast company who can "certify" your diploma. This would not by any means certify a-g classes. You can only get a-g through a certified school, or use cc.

I believe Clonlara diplomas are accepted by the UCs; at least that's what I understood from the list of the places their graduates have been accepted, and this was also my impression from being enrolled with them for a couple of years in the past. Perhaps these kids had to also jump through further hoops for homeschoolers, but I don't see why, as they have a private school diploma. About NARHS, you are correct, and I should have distinguished that this gives a general accredited private school diploma but not a California a-g one. But kids from out of state also make up an increasingly large proportion of UC undergraduates, and I can't imagine they all use UC-approved texts.

UC requirements must be more flexible than we suspect from reading the admissions pages, or they have some kind of arrangement with private schools that we don't know about. I looked long and hard at an "alternative" school here in San Diego whose graduates were UC-acceptable (and accepted), and their fulfillment of the a-g requirements was, to say the least, pretty perfunctory; I mean REALLY so. Their kids do a lot of other interesting things, and I suspect it's this that gets some of them in. Either that, or they all have stratospheric SAT scores (which, having met a number of them, I doubt; the school caters to kids who have floundered in traditional schools, kids with dyslexia and ADD and spectrum disorders -- not that these kids can't have stellar scores, but I doubt all of them do).

I am in Ca and have an 11th grade and 9th grade student. For my oldest dd's 9th grade year, we went with a psp- it was pretty reasonable for the fees and even offered some classes. We had been with charters before that, but our charter was only wanting us to take A-G classes and it just was not our vision for High School.

With the PSP, doing the transcripts was stressful to me, so for 10th grade we found a different charter that was willing to work with us and accept non A-G classes. We plan for our kids to go to community college for 1 or 2 years and then transfer to a University.

I am nervous about the CC route now, with the dream acts just passed, from my understanding, we will be having more students able to enroll for free at the CCs...I'm worried there will be no seats for my kids. Financially though, CC first is what we can handle.

Ours too. Jennifer had her older son take the CHPSE in 10th grade, which allowed him then to register for the cc classes as a regular student, ahead of homeschoolers and dual enrollment kids. I'm planning on having dd take that this coming spring just in case we want to go the cc route, because it seems like the only way to get her into classes.

I'm planning on having my 10th grader take the CHSPE in the spring just for this reason.

We have belonged to a private PSP the entire time. We are the PSP's affidavit.

If you have your dc's take the high school test and they pass, then they are "college students". No more high school. If you are planning on your dc enter a 4 yr college as a freshman, then this wouldn't work. Scholarships are generally for entering freshmen; just something to consider.

Many homeschoolers in our city have gone the community college route in the past but unfortunately that option if quickly running out. Our local cc has over 20,000 students and now accepts homeschoolers and dual enrollment students DEAD last. Budget restrictions have really had a negative impact on the dual enrollment program. The waiting lists are insane.

We were lucky, because the c.c. that my dc attended enrolled homeschoolers as "student under 18 not enrolled in high school." They were NOT dual-enrolled; they paid the same tuition as any other student. Not all of the c.c. in the Bay Area did that, though; I feel your pain. :-(

$400 does feel steep but it is actually the cheapest option in town. Nothing is included beyond transcripts and advising. High School seems expensive enough. I really hate having to add $400 extra just for someone else to rubber stamp my paperwork, kwim?

That's a bummer. I charged $200 per family, plus $25 per child, regardless of the age/grade of the dc.

I don't really want my children attending USC or CSU but I also don't want to limit their choices.

Yeah, IKWYM.

I took the CHSPE when I was a teenager. I passed it, and then enrolled at community college as a full time student. I transfered to UCSB two years later. I never had any trouble, and I was never asked about having a high school diploma. For me the CHSPE/community college route was a positive experience, and I would recommend it to others.:001_smile:

DD is enrolled in a charter school so that she can play varsity sports at our local high school. If she wasn't doing that I would have had her take the CHSPE last year and then enrolled at the cc full time. As it stands right now, she is dual enrolled and that process has been a nightmare due to the impacted classes. Like pp's stated she gets dead last priority and there is almost nothing available by the time it's her turn.

Another vote for affidavit in high school. Our charter school experiment was a 6-week flop.

High school is definitely not the time to switch to charter school.

PSP I could see being helpful if it has a reputation for strong high school help. Otherwise, you might as well go it alone.

We also did the CHSPE route. It absolutely does NOT mean you've graduated from high school so you can truly have it both ways... take full-time CC and apply as a freshman.

Even during our charter school experiment this was the policy (you could pass CHSPE and stay in the charter school).

Yet another Private School Affidavit here. We don't like being told x book is the only one approved for a specific subject. Too many amazing options to learn and be engaged in learning are available outside of the a-g requirements.

DD 15 will take the CHSPE in the spring to give herself the ability to more easily enroll in courses that support her interests at the local Community Colleges and State Universities. She will be going into college as a freshman with dual enrollment credits under the rules of OUR Private School.

Scotia

PS I am going to PM you too Jenn. That transcript file sounds wonderful.

I took the CHSPE when I was a teenager. I passed it, and then enrolled at community college as a full time student. I transfered to UCSB two years later. I never had any trouble, and I was never asked about having a high school diploma. For me the CHSPE/community college route was a positive experience, and I would recommend it to others.:001_smile:

My dds were too young to take the CHSPE when they started at the c.c. (14yo), but I definitely recommend the CHSPE for older dc, so they can enroll as college students instead of dual-enrolling.

In California, no one cares if a c.c. transfer has a high school diploma or not. High school graduation is not a requirement for being accepted at either the c.c. or the UC/CalState. :-)

We also did the CHSPE route. It absolutely does NOT mean you've graduated from high school so you can truly have it both ways... take full-time CC and apply as a freshman.

Even during our charter school experiment this was the policy (you could pass CHSPE and stay in the charter school).

The CHSPE (for non-Calif folks, California High School Proficiency Exam) is the equivalent of a high school diploma in California (IOW, other states might not recognize it). Students must be 16 or in the second semester of 10th grade. Public school students who take and pass it may still attend high school (private schools can do whatever they want; it's why they are called "private." :D )

An advantage for homeschoolers: if their dc take and pass the CHSPE, they no longer have to worry about the complusory education laws. :-)

Wow! Thank you for setting me straight. I also went to the ca dept of Ed site last night to confirm. Yes, you can have it both ways and earn a "diploma equivalent" if one prefers. I am so happy this conversation continued. Jenny I also pm'ed you:)

Yup, your dc can pass the CHSPE and remain in high school. Passing it and receiving the certificate only means that the student has passed the exam, can work without a work permit, and can enroll in a college as a regular student because of having the diploma equivalency. The student can then stay in high school and earn a diploma and never even tell anyone about the CHSPE because it becomes irrelevant after earning a diploma. It is a huge advantage to pass the CHSPE. In order to leave school after passing the CHSPE there is a second form that must be completed. Some PSPs require students to pass the CHSPE as a graduation requirement. It helps prove that the student has the minimum education that the state requires.

My dc started cc as dual enrollment, then passed the CHSPE when they were old enough, then registered at the cc as a regular student. It was a relief to have them have earlier registration dates and be able to take any classes they wanted without completing the application every semester. The downside was we had to pay for courses. But it was worth it because it is far cheaper than a university charges. And my ds did get a freshman merit scholarship even though he had cc courses that transferred. Universities have different policies about college courses taken during high school. The schools my dc applied to didn't care how many college credits were earned as long as they were completed while still in high school. They could still apply as freshmen and get freshmen scholarships. Some schools place a limit of the number of credits, but it is still often cheaper to complete college courses during high school and skip freshmen scholarships because financially it is cheaper to take the courses at the cc than a university, even with a scholarship. My dd went to the cc full time during high school. She got her AA and received a full tuition transfer scholarship to the university of her choice based on her cc GPA. The school didn't even ask for a high school transcript because of the the cc transcript. That was a much better deal for dd than a freshman scholarship. So even if your dc can't get a freshman scholarship, check into transfer scholarships. It all depends on the university. There is no one best way. BTW, I found that it was often less expensive for my dc to take a course at the cc than to buy the home school curriculum, especially for math, science and foreign language courses. Plus they got college credit for it. For us it was a good option.

It is easy to keep transcripts, register for SAT or ACT tests, and apply to colleges. It takes time and attention to detail, but it is not difficult. If you like having someone else keep the records and want help with the process, or just want the peace of mind that you don't need to do it yourself, and it is worth $400/year to you, then go that route. If you can be organized enough to keep your own records, then save the money and file an affidavit.

As far as deciding between a PSP and filing your own affidavit, do what best meets your needs. Do you want someone else to manage the records and issue a diploma, or do you want to do it yourself? Do you want a different name as Administrator on forms or the diploma, or do you even care? How confident are you that you will research and understand the process of maintaining a transcript and giving universities what they are looking for? Do you want to be more anonymous to your county or the state, or is that a non issue? Are there other activities or classes the PSP offers that will help your dc that would make it worth enrolling? Do they offer other things that will be helpful, like work permits? What is your comfort level?

Both methods can yield the same results: a transcript accepted at universities and a diploma. Do what will be most helpful to your family and meets your needs.

Well said. The most common argument I hear for not doing CC is "you may miss out on freshman scholarships." I know some schools like Caltech are not big on transfers. But most are fine w/transfers, and I know UC has big prestigious transfer scholarships (I believe they have Regents for transfers) as well as freshman scholarships.

Applying as a freshman, you must show that you have college potential. Applying as a transfer, you show your actual college ability.

Some PSPs require students to pass the CHSPE as a graduation requirement. It helps prove that the student has the minimum education that the state requires.

I'm assuming you mean what the state requires for its public school students. :) And also...prove to whom?

Guess I'm the lone wolf here—we filed privately through Jr. High, but joined a local umbrella (PSP) for high school. It is wonderful: we have all the freedom we ever had in choosing our own resources and even designing our own classes, and the benefits include transcripts all done up for us, a graduation ceremony, tons of discounts on field trips, an ASB program, parent information meetings (always optional), park days, standardized testing, yearbook, and classes (in fact, I teach Spanish 1 and 2 for this group).

These groups certainly vary: for my first year I belonged to one that required tons of paper work and fined you if you were late with it. Sheesh. Thankfully, through word-of-mouth I found the one I'm currently with (about 5 years now) and I'm very pleased.

Originally Posted by Photo Ninja

Some PSPs require students to pass the CHSPE as a graduation requirement. It helps prove that the student has the minimum education that the state requires.

I'm assuming you mean what the state requires for its public school students. And also...prove to whom?

It has nothing to do with public schools or state requirements. There is a state test that public school students need to pass in order to get a diploma, but it does not apply to private schools, including hsers. In northern CA there are PSPs that require CHSPE as part of their requirements in order to obtain a diploma issued by the PSP. They say that it helps prove that there has been an acceptable level of education in case there is ever a question in the future about quality of education or validity of the diploma, and that helps protect the PSP. It is not a state graduation requirement. The CHSPE is just an option that helps some students.

Oh, I wish I had known the facts from CrimsonWife before my son entered high school. We went with a charter through high school and it has been inflexible. I have fought them and won on a lot of things. The good thing about the charter though is they had a competitive academic team and some elective classes. So my child has had a bit of a peer group. Also I couldn't have coped if I hadn't had some of the burden lifted by the charter, child was too much to school alone! He's graduating this year. Each child/family/charter is so different that you need to gather all the facts you can and then make the decision that's right for you and your family. That's what we have done all the way along, though most of the time it felt like we were walking in the dark. now we see the light at the end of the tunnel and it feels awfully good.

Each child/family/charter is so different that you need to gather all the facts you can and then make the decision that's right for you and your family.

I would also like to add that not only is each charter school different, but that a lot of times, your charter school experience is dependent on your supervising teacher. It has been my experience that sometimes it's not the school being inflexible, it's the teacher.

It has nothing to do with public schools or state requirements. There is a state test that public school students need to pass in order to get a diploma, but it does not apply to private schools, including hsers. In northern CA there are PSPs that require CHSPE as part of their requirements in order to obtain a diploma issued by the PSP. They say that it helps prove that there has been an acceptable level of education in case there is ever a question in the future about quality of education or validity of the diploma, and that helps protect the PSP. It is not a state graduation requirement. The CHSPE is just an option that helps some students.

There are some in SoCal that also require it. :-)

In the 16 years that I owned/administered a PSP, not one time did I or any of my graduates ever have to to prove the quality of their education or the validity of the diplomas I issued. Not.one.time. Ever.

Besides, the CHSPE is a 10th grade level test. How that proves or validates anything for someone who is graduating from the 12th grade is beyond me. :001_huh: How it "protects" the PSP is a mystery to me, as well.

I did recommend the CHSPE to some of my families because then their dc could more easily enroll in c.c. as a college student instead of a dual-enrolled student. If their dc passed the CHSPE (and all of them did), I would graduate them, and then they wouldn't have to worry about compulsory education requirements.