Menu

Breaking news in Baby Lisa case

Embarrased to admit it as well, but all three of my children rolled off the bed at one point in their "rolling" stage. DS#1, with me, DS#2 while Grandma was watching, and DS#3 while DH was watching. Instantly horrifying, gut-wrenching, and stupid...nevertheless, all three were fine. It was a carpeted floor, but still.....I don't see rolling off a bed as cause of death, unless it was an extreme freak accident. In that case, why go to the extreme to hide it/cover it up/make up this story. No, I think it was something more/different.

Whew! I thought we were the only ones. All 3 of my kids have rolled off of the bed at one time or another (and one onto a cement floor :eek:). None of them had anything more than a small bump.

It's not like the mom would have been thinking, if she did accidentally overdose the daughter, "Well, it was an accident, that will be taken into consideration, and so I'll just turn myself in, because if I try to cover it up, it will be much worse." I'm sure she realized she'd be facing extremely serious charges, and a whole lot of time in prison. That creates a huge incentive to do something terrible like hiding the body and making up a story about an abduction, because you know you're already facing a long prison sentence.

It's like when people want to make rape punishable by life in prison or the death penalty. It sounds good in theory, but in practice all it does is give the rapist a reason to kill the victim so that they might have some chance of getting away with it. Since they're penalty won't be any higher if murder is added on, they've got nothing to lose.

We think that we're helping things by upping penalties more and more, but there's no evidence to suggest it deters crime and it may, in cases like this, cause people to commit further crimes to hide evidence since they are already facing such serious charges and such long prison sentences that a few more crimes won't make much difference if they're caught and might help them, in their mind, not get caught.

I'm just trying to figure out what would possess somebody to dispose of a body and make up a kidnapping, instead of just confessing to an accident. But when the accident may result in an extremely serious charge carrying a long prison sentence, people are going to do stupid, desperate things.

The problem with 'lenient' sentences for rapists is that they can rape again when released. Who wants a known rapist running around free? Chances are someone who truly, accidentally kills someone isn't going to repeat the offense. I totally agree with the bolded, though.

And as far as carrying an already dead baby through town out in the open for miles and miles, I just can't imagine that. Maybe if you're in shock but otherwise I would think that would be one of the last things you'd do.

Dumpster fire. Unclothed baby. Sounds like someone stole her and then burned her clothes so it would be harder to identify her. That's probably just wishful thinking, though. I'd love for that precious little girl to still be alive.

Edited by Trresh

Embarrased to admit it as well, but all three of my children rolled off the bed at one point in their "rolling" stage. DS#1, with me, DS#2 while Grandma was watching, and DS#3 while DH was watching. Instantly horrifying, gut-wrenching, and stupid...nevertheless, all three were fine. It was a carpeted floor, but still.....I don't see rolling off a bed as cause of death, unless it was an extreme freak accident. In that case, why go to the extreme to hide it/cover it up/make up this story. No, I think it was something more/different.

My 6th little one fell off the bed for the first time at 3 weeks old - seriously. We have pictures of her at various ages on the floor!:lol: Most of my babies never had a crib. Our bed was not very high off the floor and babies really aren't all that fragile. This is why no one believes the "broken arm happened when the baby fell out of the crib" stories that abusive parents come up with.;)

Must agree. Terribly frightening -- but usually not fatal. I shudder to think what happened to that poor little baby.

My point exactly -- usually everything works out fine. The twins will be 11 on Monday. When I was 18 mos old, my mom sat me in my carriage and turned her back on me for a nanosecond. We were at my grandfather's bakery -- the floor was concrete. I launched myself out of the carriage -- fractured my skull. See :blink: -- I'm fine! really - I am. I think something else happened to that baby.

My dh was in a walker and fell down the basement steps when he was 9 months old (with no lasting effects.) His final adoption hearing was that same week and MIL was terrified that the judge wouldn't let her keep him because of it.:lol:

My dh was in a walker and fell down the basement steps when he was 9 months old (with no lasting effects.) His final adoption hearing was that same week and MIL was terrified that the judge wouldn't let her keep him because of it.:lol:

Oh my -- isn't the stuff we remember just amazing! :)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My 6th little one fell off the bed for the first time at 3 weeks old - seriously. We have pictures of her at various ages on the floor!:lol: Most of my babies never had a crib. Our bed was not very high off the floor and babies really aren't all that fragile. This is why no one believes the "broken arm happened when the baby fell out of the crib" stories that abusive parents come up with.;)

:iagree:DD fell down an entire flight of uncarpeted basement stairs when she was about 9 months old. DH forgot she could crawl and left the door open. She got curious, and bounced all the way down. He felt terrible! And, I must admit, I yelled at him for it. But she was totally fine. No bumps, no bruises. She was VERY fat at the time, so it must have prevented injury. Babies are generally resilient.

I heard today that all troops are supposed to be home before New Year's, don't know if that is true or not but if it is than it wouldn't be long before he got his boy back.

Just the troops in Iraq. We have far more in Afghanistan.

My middle flung herself from my dh's arm (his other arm was getting her bottle) when she was 2-3 weeks old. SHe jerked her body to get at the bottle and because she was only being held by one arm, she managed to fall. I guess it was probably a four-five foot fall onto tile floor and she didn't die. She did get a broken femur but it was just a simple fracture, not with bones sticking out or anything and she heeled with no bad effects. She did have a cast for about six weeks.

Usually bedrooms are either carpeted or wood floors, not tiles, and beds aren't up as high as dh was holding her. So no, I don't think it happened from falling from a bed and since she was 10 months old, it wouldn't happen even if she fell into bedding or clothes. She would move herself and not let herself suffocate.

I didn't think the child was alive from the first time I heard about the case. That age children just are very rarely stranger abducted. Newborn or nearly newborn, yes. Older like preschool or older, yes. Toddler=not usually.

I think a really good point to remember is something that was said on the Today Show the other day. They were interviewing the lawyer and were discussing human decomposition. He said that there are many things that can cause human decomposition....such as a dirty diaper left on the floor...or nail clippings that fell there.

I may be naive....but for some reason....I don't think the parents are guilty.

ETA: The OP said that "cadaver dogs have indicated a body was at one time on the floor". I just want to clarify that the dogs are trained to detect human decompostion. If they detected something on the floor near the bed....it doesn't mean that it was a dead body; human decomposition does not always = dead body.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I think a really good point to remember is something that was said on the Today Show the other day. They were interviewing the lawyer and were discussing human decomposition. He said that there are many things that can cause human decomposition....such as a dirty diaper left on the floor...or nail clippings that fell there.

I may be naive....but for some reason....I don't think the parents are guilty.

I saw an article yesterday and it said the family's attorney took news crews through the house to show them how the police search was really mainly for show. She showed how the bedroom had no carpet cut out so if the dogs did get a hit why didn't the police take a swatch with them. She also said how on the tv they kept showing pics of police walking out with a rolled up carpet. The attorney said they actually didn't take the carpet and it was still in the garage. I know nothing about police searches but it all seemed really strange.

I saw an article yesterday and it said the family's attorney took news crews through the house to show them how the police search was really mainly for show. She showed how the bedroom had no carpet cut out so if the dogs did get a hit why didn't the police take a swatch with them. She also said how on the tv they kept showing pics of police walking out with a rolled up carpet. The attorney said they actually didn't take the carpet and it was still in the garage. I know nothing about police searches but it all seemed really strange.

I saw a news segment where they went through the house to show the possible route of an abductor. To be honest....if someone did come through the window, all they had to do was go right into Lisa's room (which was directly across from the room with the tampered screen), go out of the room and turn a quick corner (right where the cell phones were), and right out the door. It seemed like the entire process would have been just a minute or less.

The article says:

one of his 82nd Airborne unit mates had an infant disappear.

by "mates" if they mean close personal friend, then yes it is strange. If by "mates" they mean a fellow member of the 82nd Airborne, well that's like saying someone who lived in the same town, which is much less strange.

There's a link in that article to this. They've hired Joran van der Sloot's lawyer. I know it's faulty reasoning (guilt by association) but in my view, that's the most d*mning evidence against them.