Menu

So, I just bought WTM book for the 1st time -- how much is it going to rock my world?

So, I've homeschooled since day one, since my oldest was 3.5 and arguing the phonetic pronunciation of his younger brother's name; specifically, wondering why the letter A doesn't always sound as it does in the word /cat/, why sometimes it sounds like /cape/ instead.

I figured at that point my options were to move to a country with one sound per vowel, which was obviously out of the question (nevermind where we live now.....:lol:) OR start teaching the boy phonics. I took the easy road, bought curriculum, and we've never looked back.

We have been with the same curriculum company ever since, and I do love the book selections, mostly. As we creep closer and closer to high school, and in fact next year is high school and I'm making selections now for that, I find that some of the books -- a high enough number to bother me -- are not at grade level. This and other things has me growing steadily away from the curriculum we've always loved and for the first time ever I'll be buying a full year of curriculum, without spending a penny with that company.

(the company is in my siggy, I just prefer not to put it here in case of searches)

Yesterday I finally broke down and bought The Well Trained Mind, which I've never read. I'm assuming it's going to shake up my homeschool some.....anyone care to take a guess as to how much?? We've never followed the 4 yr cycle through history, I can't imagine teaching latin, and I've read on this board that the language we learned to live where we live is not a worthwhile language to learn.

So.....this time next year, will I be searching out Latin courses? Revamping my entire method? I kind of don't have a method....the boys do math and vocabulary and daily writing; they read history books and write mini-reports about what they read; they read literature and write mini-reports about that; we do science all together. I stopped using the IG for history/reading ages ago and we really don't mess with the timeline, though every year I say we will. We never do. I'm thinking for high school we will; he's got to get a fix on some dates, at least the general flow of things.

I realize this is a rambly post from a still sort of newbie....just wanted to jump in, express my trepidation about changing up our homeschool this late in the game for my oldest (though right on time for my youngest)....

If anyone reads all this, thanks!

Rhee were stages for me (and I just have littles). First, I was amazed by the wonderful ideas. Second, I realized how much I had NOT been taught in my private high school. Then, there was overwhelming panic - I can't do this! I never learned this! Finally, I started reading these boards and then reread the book - I can do this, it is possible. We are now in Tue middle of our first grade year, doing the four year cycle, and memorizing as much as we can. We are not perfect, but we are doing it.

I think the four year cycle will he an adjustment for you. It OS very different from the way history/social studies is done in schools. I have really had to adjust my thinking here.

Latin may come easily, I don't know what language you have learned, but if you are already bilingual (especially if the language is Latin based) you may find it very similar.

Enjoy it!

:lol:

Your world will shift some. There is no way you cannot be changed after reading it. Seeing in your sig line you used Sonlight it might not be a cataclysmic change though. I was mostly a textbook schooler (for about 17yrs) when I read this book about 2 yrs ago. I am slowly changing things out...I think if I go completely TWTM way my darlings would be in shock.

Enjoy!

Rhee were stages for me (and I just have littles). First, I was amazed by the wonderful ideas. Second, I realized how much I had NOT been taught in my private high school. Then, there was overwhelming panic - I can't do this! I never learned this! Finally, I started reading these boards and then reread the book - I can do this, it is possible. We are now in Tue middle of our first grade year, doing the four year cycle, and memorizing as much as we can. We are not perfect, but we are doing it.

I think the four year cycle will he an adjustment for you. It OS very different from the way history/social studies is done in schools. I have really had to adjust my thinking here.

Latin may come easily, I don't know what language you have learned, but if you are already bilingual (especially if the language is Latin based) you may find it very similar.

Enjoy it!

I'm hoping to stick my head in the sand and ignore anything that makes me think I need to teach Latin. :lol:

We speak Portuguese, as we live in Brazil, so maybe it wouldn't be too hard, but I just.don't.want.to.

I'm hoping the 4 yr cycle won't be too hard to get used to....I won't likely start my oldest on it, but it would be good for my youngest for sure. Will be interesting to see how schooling the littlest differs from schooling the oldest, and which bits overflow to my middle son....

:lol:

Your world will shift some. There is no way you cannot be changed after reading it. Seeing in your sig line you used Sonlight it might not be a cataclysmic change though. I was mostly a textbook schooler (for about 17yrs) when I read this book about 2 yrs ago. I am slowly changing things out...I think if I go completely TWTM way my darlings would be in shock.

Enjoy!

LOL, thanks! Yea, I hope it won't be too bad. Slowly, that's good. I can do slowly. I'm going to start reading next week (SO GLAD this book is available on Kindle!!) when I have plenty of time.

It completely changed my thinking. I was a unit studies person before it and not happy but I couldn't figure out why. Then I read WTM. And it all fell into place. :D

Oh, that's encouraging! I hope it does make sense to me. Why does reading this book make me nervous? Eek. You're making me feel better, though; thank you!

Yesterday I finally broke down and bought The Well Trained Mind, which I've never read. I'm assuming it's going to shake up my homeschool some.....anyone care to take a guess as to how much?? We've never followed the 4 yr cycle through history,

Well, you'll probably find some more great reading, and apparently reading on a more mature level, which shouldn't rock you too much. :D

I can't imagine teaching latin, and I've read on this board that the language we learned to live where we live is not a worthwhile language to learn.

So, it probably wasn't worth it for you to learn Portuguese, then, eh? Probably not at all useful to you LIVING IN BRASIL!! :lol: You know, I think Latin is a great language to study for many reasons, but you've already gone through the effort to acquire a second language - that is quite the accomplishment! I don't think you should feel obligated to start teaching Latin next week or anything. If you read up on it, and decide it would be beneficial to your family for some reason (I bet it would also improve your Portuguese), then go for it. But it's not the end of the world if you don't, esp. coming up to high school already.

So.....this time next year, will I be searching out Latin courses? Revamping my entire method? I kind of don't have a method....the boys do math and vocabulary and daily writing; they read history books and write mini-reports about what they read; they read literature and write mini-reports about that; we do science all together. I stopped using the IG for history/reading ages ago and we really don't mess with the timeline, though every year I say we will. We never do. I'm thinking for high school we will; he's got to get a fix on some dates, at least the general flow of things.

It doesn't sound to me like you'd be completely revamping everything, although you might decide to change HOW you go about writing for history/science/literature. You might decide to go about history chronologically, and then using a timeline is easy to fit into that. Read, put dates on the timeline, compare to and discuss what else was going on at the same time, done. Add some memory work, and you'll have made studying content that much easier.

Enjoy planning!

Just don't head into a tailspin and crash the plane. Pull up easy, back out of what you want to change slowly, and add in new directions slowly.

And don't start demanding things of your kids, frantic that you've missed the boat.

What other transportation mode can I add in here? :001_smile:

I, too, just bought the WTM and am waiting for it to arrive. The portions available on Amazon were already very thought-provoking. The fact that this is the most sane homeschooling community I have come across, full of parents who take their children's education seriously and who are obviously thinkers, convinced me to buy the book. If you all like it, it must be good.

My own education was full of gaps, and I am totally ready to reeducate myself, too. I'm curious what you think too - perhaps us new readers can exchange our views about it as we read it?

TWTM helped me find focus and words to express what I want to do in dd's education.

Remember, your first reading of it is for YOU. You don't have to make sweeping changes with the kids unless it resonates with you and you have a direction/change you want to make.

Relax. Enjoy the book.

So, I've homeschooled since day one, since my oldest was 3.5 and arguing the phonetic pronunciation of his younger brother's name.

:lol: I had a girl like that... aren't these kids fun?

I find that some of the books -- a high enough number to bother me -- are not at grade level.

This is not the first time I've heard that complaint about your curriculum.

Yesterday I finally broke down and bought The Well Trained Mind, which I've never read.

WHAT? :svengo: :toetap05: :lol:

I've read on this board that the language we learned to live where we live is not a worthwhile language to learn.

Portuguese is certainly a worthwhile, beautiful language. Whoever said it isn't is stupid. :glare:

So.....this time next year, will I be searching out Latin courses?

Not everyone who "does WTM" studies Latin. We plan to, but you could definitely teach the other subjects according to WTM methods, and leave the Latin out. ;) (Don't shoot me). However, I think that with Portuguese already in your toolbox, formal Latin study would be interesting and would show the connections between the languages. If full-blown, formal Latin study doesn't appeal, go with a word roots program, such as English from the Roots Up or Vocabulary Vines.

Revamping my entire method?

You could -- and probably should? -- ease yourself into WTM a few subjects or areas at a time. Colleen in NS found WTM later into her homeschooling journey. Perhaps she would have some good advice for how to make the switch without too much anguish.

HTH.

Express my trepidation about changing up our homeschool this late in the game for my oldest (though right on time for my youngest)....

I just noticed the ages of your children, and wanted to add that ALL your children are at perfect ages for starting a WTM approach. Here's why:

14 year old -- at the beginning of the Rhetoric stage

Start by ensuring that all his basic skills are firmly in place -- math facts down cold, strong in reading, legible penmanship, correct punctuation & mechanics, proper grammar, accurate spelling, ability to narrate & summarize, ability to outline, and so on. IOW, spend the first year (9th/10th) working on those foundations at the grammar (e.g., memorization) and/or dialectic (e.g., outlining) level. When those skills are strong and solid, you can spend the rest of his high school years working on rhetoric skills.

10 year old -- at the beginning of the Dialectic (Logic) stage

Again, with your 10 year old, the journey begins where he is, so start at his current level. Does he need to go "back" and firm up some grammar level skills and content? If so, there is no hurry. Spend the first year of doing WTM working on grammar level skills, easing into a more logic stage approach as you finish out the year.

6 year old -- at the beginning of the Grammar stage

With your youngest son, you are starting from the beginning. At this point, school/academics can wait while you get your bearings in the WTM-way with your older sons. For your youngest, focus on character formation, healthy & respectful habits, following directions, and Read Alouds. If you have many cores already, why not simply read through some of the lower cores with him for a year? Keep it low-key and snuggly while you figure things out.

I like certain aspects of WTM, but I strongly disagree with what I see as an over-emphasis on time-intensive, formal History and Science in the primary grades (1st & 2nd) -- perhaps at the expense of time to simply play and be a child? I was swept up in that four-year cycle idea when I first read WTM (11 years ago), but have since had a change of mind about it. What does a six year old really need to learn and do each day? IMO, all he needs at the start is reading, a bit of handwriting, some informal math, read alouds, and play time. HTH.

It completely changed my thinking. I was a unit studies person before it and not happy but I couldn't figure out why. Then I read WTM. And it all fell into place. :D

:iagree: I was a lot like that, too. TWTM just made perfect sense to me and as I started teaching with that philosophy I realized how right on it really is. Even with things as small as - doing a lot of memorization in the grammar stage. That's not done at all in PS, but my kids just pick it up so well and I can see how beneficial it is. SWB's ideas regarding writing I think are right on, too. Reading the book was really a paradigm shift for me, but it "just feels so right!" (breaks out into song!:D)

TWTM was about the 20th book on homeschooling that I read (it was a well-stocked library) and it was the book that made me say - I can do this, and this is what I want to do. And here we are 11 years later - not following a perfect model, but keeping in mind what is important to us in the education of our children.