Menu

visiting Scottsdale AZ!!

We're going to go on vacation to Scottsdale AZ this December. I've been looking online at some fun outings, and now I'm overwhelmed! Is there any chance that one or two of you can provide some guidance?

I'd like to take the boys on a desert tour. There seem to be many companies that do this. Do you have a recommendation for one that is good (not cheesy)?

What else should I be sure to do??

Thanks so much for any help you can give. I really appreciate it!!!

Things we liked:

--Frank Lloyd Wright tours -- Favorite thing we did here

--Arizona Capitol Museum...short drive to Phoenix from Scottsdale -- My second favorite

--Pueblo Grande Museum and Archaeological Park -- I must say our oldest enjoyed this more than the rest of us. Guess it is her thing. :001_smile:

My kids like the Desert Botanical Gardens and it's a great way to see a variety of desert plants.

There are different tours of Taliesin you can take, so look them over and see what will most interest all of you if you're going to go there. I know at one point they were discouraging young children from the tours inside and expecting everyone to be quiet.

What are things you like to do? Do you want to stay in greater Phoenix, or are you interested in going out to Sedona to see the red rock and that area? Are you hikers? How long will you be in town?

Real Pirates is at the Arizona Science Center, it was a great exhibit here, and the Science center is fun!

Luminaria walk at the Desert Botanical Gardens is $$ but beautiful.

You could hike up Camelback Mountain, it's an easy hike with a fantastic view.

And although I HATEHATEHATE zoos, I actually really like the phoenix zoo. The animals seem to have more room, and seeing a saguaro next to a giraffe is pretty neat.

The Arizona Science Center is excellent, as is the new (3 yo?) Phoenix Children's Museum. The latter would be for younger children, say, under 8 or so. Unfortunately, both are fairly expensive.

Ditto the Phoenix Zoo - excellent!

I would recommend a day trip to Sedona. It's a beautiful drive, especially if you tack on Oak Creek Canyon. (Gorgeous drive, but twisty . . . give yourselves lots of time.)

Of course, the Grand Canyon is about 4 hours away. I wouldn't recommend doing a turn around trip, but a one night stay would be good.

You can visit a place called Pioneer Arizona that would make for a great field trip about Western pioneer days:

http://www.pioneeraz.org/

The Desert Botanical Garden is interesting and fun for people of any age. They have free afternoon admission the second Tuesday of every month, if your trip happens to be then. (It's next to the zoo in a large desert park.) The Heard Museum is also excellent if you're interested in past and present Southwestern Native American cultures. I enjoy Pueblo Grande, but although the things that went on at that site prehistorically are amazing, not everyone finds what's visible there now all that exciting. If you're interested in archaeology PG is great, but for the average family with "big kids" the Heard might be better.

A lot of companies do horseback tours of the prettier desert areas north of Scottsdale, which would be a great trip for kids the ages of yours! They are pretty expensive, though, and the only one I have experience with (Windwalker) no longer has an active website. The jeep tours are more affordable. If you ask your hotel and describe the kind of thing you're looking for, they could probably help you.

I will echo recommendations that others have made (Desert Botanical Garden, Taliesin, the Heard Museum) but I'd like to add two more things for your consideration: The Boyce Thompson Arboretum (about an hour east of Phoenix) and the White Tank Mountains (maybe thirty miles west of Phoenix). The Arboretum has amazing desert plant specimens! I even saw a gila in the wild when I visited the Arboretum last July. The White Tank Mountains have wonderful petroglyphs. Both are relatively inexpensive to visit.

Also, in old Scottsdale is the Sugar Bowl, an ice cream parlor that Bill Keane who drew the Family Circus strips visited regularly. Some of his original drawings hang in the parlor. This can be fun for the kids.

Edited by Jane in NC