Menu

Proud owner of 1/2 cow and 1/2 pig!

I just went to my grassfed meat supplier and brought home lots of meat - completely filled my brand new 14.8 cubic foot chest freezer, plus 2 shelves of my upright freezer!!!! I'm hoping I don't over work them!

As I was putting the meat in I was attempting to organize it and I've come across stuff I have no idea what to do with!! Pork Tongue (I know what it is, but I don't know if I can actually eat it!), Ham Hocks, Pork Rind (?), some types of bones (obviously cow or pig, but ????), and a few others that I can't think of right now.

So, can anyone offer me advice on what to do with these cuts of meat/bone?

Thanks

Yummmm. Our beef arrived a couple weeks ago. We were very unhappy with our last hog so we haven't bought another one since. We need to wait until our beef is about 1/2 gone before we do anyways.

I give the odd meats that I don't know what to do with, to my Hispanic neighbor who squeals with glee when I pass them on to her. LOL She knows exactly what to do with them, and is happy to get the premium meat (they live on a very, very low fixed income).

Yummmm. Our beef arrived a couple weeks ago. We were very unhappy with our last hog so we haven't bought another one since. We need to wait until our beef is about 1/2 gone before we do anyways.

I give the odd meats that I don't know what to do with, to my Hispanic neighbor who squeals with glee when I pass them on to her. LOL She knows exactly what to do with them, and is happy to get the premium meat (they live on a very, very low fixed income).

What was wrong with the hog you got?

Actually I have a whole hog, and the hams are delicious - we had one a while ago when I bought a mixed 50lb box to try it. YUMMMMY! Dd and I shared a ham steak last night and had leftovers - the farmer said we got a big pig. He's not kidding.

I've thought of giving away the liver and tongue, as well as the other stuff I cannot identify and is not labeled (looks like the hip/shoulder bone, maybe?). I don't know who to give it to, so I may just post it on freecycle.

Thanks,

What was wrong with the hog you got?

Thanks,

We suspect it was left hanging too long. We split it with a friend of ours who coordinated the purchase. Some of the meat tasted fine, the rest was nasty tasting. There was no way to know until you ate it and some pieces would change from decent to gross mid-piece. We stopped eating it. We called the other couple to talk about it, and they said it tasted fine to them. No problems....they had eaten several items and it was great. Had they not thought it was fine, we would have called the butcher shop to complain.

Then about 6mths later, I told dh he should take the rest of the hog to them because we won't eat it and they didn't mind the off flavor. He called to ask if they had room for it, and they said they threw it all away because they didn't like it either!

UGH! So, we literally threw $200 worth of meat in the garbage can.

I make bean soup from smoked ham hocks. Are the hocks smoked? I'm not sure what to do with them, otherwise! I guess it's time to google!

I'd really like to do this sometime, too. How does one find out info on it? We have two large freezers. One is currently stocked with frozen dinners I made in advance of morning sickness.

Once I am feeling better, I want to get half a beef. I hear the meat tastes so much better than what you can get at the store--has anyone here found that to be true? How does the price compare to grocery store prices?

I make bean soup from smoked ham hocks. Are the hocks smoked? I'm not sure what to do with them, otherwise! I guess it's time to google!

I'd really like to do this sometime, too. How does one find out info on it? We have two large freezers. One is currently stocked with frozen dinners I made in advance of morning sickness.

Once I am feeling better, I want to get half a beef. I hear the meat tastes so much better than what you can get at the store--has anyone here found that to be true? How does the price compare to grocery store prices?

To get the hocks smoked, you have to order them smoked. It depends on the instructions given to the butcher.

You can ask at the butcher shop or just start asking around. A good way to go about it is to ask people involved in 4-H. We have bought hogs that didn't qualify for the fair before, typically because they didn't make weight. We like to support the kids involved and because they were raised to 4H standards we feel they were raised in a standardized manner.

For our beef, we paid a around $3.50lb after the meat is cut and wrapped (for the bring home weight of meat). We get a family friend discount, so it is a very good deal at that price. Our meat is almost free range (25 beef cows and hundreds of acres) grass fed, and while not certified organic, it is raised with out chemicals unless absolutely necessary.

There are 3 typical fees when you buy meat in this way.

1. When you buy meat, you buy it based on 'hanging weight' which is the weight as it hangs in the butcher shop before being processed. You lose about 20-30% of the meat to bone/fat that is cut away (can be more due to bread and raising techniques). If they say your hanging weight is 300lbs, you will pay for 300 lbs, but you will actually bring home 200lbs of meat. When we pick up our meat, we always ask them to weigh the bring home weight of the meat for us. It varies each year from 20-30% loss which is pretty common.

2. The kill fee is obvious, but the farmer may figure this into the price of the beef.

3. The cut and wrap is the charge to process the meat from a whole side of beef, to the nice little packages in your freezer. You get to tell the butcher exactly how you want the meat cut. You can tell them you want 1.5 ich thick New York steaks, or 2 inch porter house. You can pick a prime rib roast or rib steaks. Some people want the flank steak left whole, some want it ground up and added to the hamburger etc. You get to decide precisely how you want it prepared. I donate all organ meats and bones to the butcher OR to family who is getting the other half of the beef if they want it.

The meat tastes like a different animal to me. You can smell and taste the difference. I also like the fact that we help to support a farmer who is using his land respectfully and raising the animals humanely.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Very helpful info--thank you! I would really like to have something healthier to feed my family, and to support local, humane ranchers. I've been very concerned lately about the amount of garbage that goes into our diets from GMOs and chemicals. I figure, even small changes can help. We have 20 hens we keep simply for eggs. I'm eating a ton right now because I'm pregnant and it's a quick, easy protein source. Good to know this little one isn't getting a bunch of hormones and antibiotics THAT way.

Thanks again!

I'm sorry, but I just have to say from your title: what do you call a half cow and half hog? a 'pow'? a 'cog'?

The bones are for stock making purposes. You can fry the rind up to make fried pork rinds, a yummy treat.... I'm afraid I wouldn't touch the tongue with a ten foot pole, LOL, so can't help with any ideas for that....

That's great! Isn't it wonderful to have that in there! We have two full sized freezers and the combo unit in the kitchen. We raise a lot of our own meats though and buy from local farmers when need be.

Do you have a small generator in case the power goes out? You do not want all that spoiling in there.

Get the cookbook Nourishing Traditions. Have fun!!:001_smile:

Our last 1/4 cow the suet and bones "disappeared" somewhere between the time of harvest and getting to me through the farmer. I am :glare: un happy in a BIG way, especially since I spent 3 hours on the phone talking to him about cuts (and what cuts i got didnt really matter) and how important to get all of my suet and bones were because we eat a high-fat, heavy bone Beothuk diet. Grrrrr. So, I'm very jealous of your freezer right now. ;) Enjoy!

I'm hoping I don't over work them!

Thanks

It is better for the freezer, and more energy efficient, to be full of something, rather than empty with lots of air in it. And, the more full it is, the longer everything will stay frozen if you lose power. And if you do lose power, as long as you keep the freezer closed, everything should stay safe for a pretty long time. As I empty out our chest freezer, I like to fill it up with ice just to keep it full of something.