Menu

Feel kinda bad...I just bit the head off of a phone solicitor

I'm assuming the upcoming elections have something to do with the extreme amount of 800-number phone calls we've been getting lately. We get so many every evening during dinner and our family time that we've quit answering them. This was the third time tonight this number had called, once before during dinner, and once while I was reading with the kids, so I grabbed it to tell them to get me off their list.

Turns out they were fundraising for breast cancer research. Aparantly I've donated over the phone to them in the past (which is something I typically do not do) and I had asked them to call me again! :confused:

Heck, it might be true! But at the time I didn't think so, and I continued with my irritated, b*tchy rant. I could tell the poor lady was caught off gaurd and a little bit shocked. Now I'm feeling like a dolt!

Aparantly I've donated over the phone to them in the past (which is something I typically do not do) and I had asked them to call me again! :confused:

!

It sounds like "a line" I've been fed before by solicitor's. it's "a line" to make you think you've donated/bought/etc. so you won't stop to think before forking over your credit card number.

Um. Are you sure that you did ask them to call you again? Was it an organization you recognize, like the American Cancer Society or the Susan G. Komen foundation? Because a lot of phone solicitations for charity are scams or near-scams. (A "near-scam" would be where they do donate some tiny amount to the charity, but most goes to more "fundraising.")

I don't give to causes over the phone. I ask them to send me something in the mail, and they practically never do.

Actually I'm pretty ticked at the cancer society right now. I have volunteered for them for the last 20 years but last year and this year they've started to have more strong arm tactics to get donations. I reamed them out last year. I got a very apologetic call from the head office (because they still wanted to sweet talk me into volunteering). This year they're at it again. Sigh.

Right, that's why I don't give over the phone. I think it was something where you pledge and they send you an envelope. But even that I'm not very comfortable with.

Still, she did sound genuinely hurt that I could be so nasty to someone just trying to save lives! ;) The tone of that poor woman's voice is going to haunt me. That was a bad thing to do.

Once when I was at my grandma's, a telemarketer called asking for my grandfather. At that time he had been dead for 20 years and I was so horrified, and shocked that they would call using his name that I yelled at the girl and told her she should be ashamed of herself. I remember her small voice: "oh... sorry..." poor thing, because of course it was not her fault at all.

Anyway now I have a standard answer as soon as I realize who it is:

"ohsorryican'thelpyoubye" and I hang right up without letting them speak.

Um. Are you sure that you did ask them to call you again? Was it an organization you recognize, like the American Cancer Society or the Susan G. Komen foundation? Because a lot of phone solicitations for charity are scams or near-scams. (A "near-scam" would be where they do donate some tiny amount to the charity, but most goes to more "fundraising.")

I don't give to causes over the phone. I ask them to send me something in the mail, and they practically never do.

Yeah, there's a really good chance that it was a scam or close to it. And scammers are very very good at feeding you a line and sounding sincere. So don't feel too bad, even if she did sound hurt.

One time some woman called me on my cell phone saying she was with my credit card company yadda yadda yadda, could I verify my credit card number? I said, "My credit card company doesn't have this number." She hung up on me. And yes, she said "your credit card company" she didn't specify a card or bank. :p Basically, I'm super cynical when people call me. I'd probably bite people's heads off more but most people call my land line which never gets answered. :)

One time some woman called me on my cell phone saying she was with my credit card company yadda yadda yadda, could I verify my credit card number? I said, "My credit card company doesn't have this number." She hung up on me. And yes, she said "your credit card company" she didn't specify a card or bank. :p Basically, I'm super cynical when people call me. I'd probably bite people's heads off more but most people call my land line which never gets answered. :)

Now those we do get quite often. It's an automated voice that says something in regard to our current credit card and could we please call this number back. I suppose it could very well be our credit union, but at no time is it mentioned by name so I'm assuming it's a scam. Our CU knows where to find us if there's a real problem.

I know people will disagree with me, but it's YOUR phone and YOU pay for it for YOUR benefit. It may not be the most wonderful thing in the world to bite someone's head off, but it's your phone and they are invading your privacy.

I would bet that you didn't donate and ask them to call back. They are trying to make you feel guilty and will stoop to any level. Don't feel guilty :grouphug:!!!

I know people will disagree with me, but it's YOUR phone and YOU pay for it for YOUR benefit. It may not be the most wonderful thing in the world to bite someone's head off, but it's your phone and they are invading your privacy.

I would bet that you didn't donate and ask them to call back. They are trying to make you feel guilty and will stoop to any level. Don't feel guilty :grouphug:!!!

I agree with you.