Menu

What is CC???

JOHNNABONNA

Either Christian content or Classical Conversations. The second is a classical curriculum. We are.doing Foundations at home. It is prepared memorywork. It covers history, science, Latin, grammar, math, Bible, and geography. We don't go to a group, we use it as supplementary work at home.

If you have more specific questions, I woyld love to help you out.

Classical Conversations... It's a co-op that is available at many locations around the country.

You can see more about it at classicalconversations.com

It's actually not a co-op.

Classical Conversations is a company that offers classical-inspired homeschool classes through independent contractors who open campuses in their area. You can search the boards here for many threads on it. :001_smile:

Thanks it is getting clearer, clear as mud lol:tongue_smilie:

Just kidding I do appreciate every bodies help here, especially with this being our first year. I still feel like I'm wading through to find what is best for us. KWIM?

Chepyl I just saw that we are both in OK! How are you liking it? I see in your siggy that you are using varied curriculum so I'm guessing there is not specific "CC" curriculum you use. It's JUST memory work? Is it a lot to fit in alongside everyday work?

CC stands for Classical Conversations. There are local communities that implement their program.

Each community uses the standard 24 week program. Every community right now is on Cycle 3.

Our group did Week 8 today. We learned:

- 8 timeline cards (CC uses Veritas Press timeline cards - you learn short description timeline events like "Reign of Julius Caesar")

- geography - 5 states - their locations on the US map & their capitals

- math - skip counting by 14s

- some Latin nouns

- some English grammar

- science - parts of the circulatory system

- a detailed history sentence about the Missouri Compromise

Each child also does a 5 minute presentation each week. We do a science experiment, and had a music lesson (theory & tin whistle (sort of like a recorder)). Then we reviewed all the memory work from prior weeks.

So yes, in essence, it is a rigorous memory work program with some enrichment. You add your own reading/phonics/spelling, math, & handwriting, and you have a full homeschool program. In the upper elementary grades, they add Essentials (grammar/writing & math facts & something else?) to the Foundations program used for K4-5th. They have separate programs called Challenge for middle school & high school. (My kids are kindergarteners, so I am not very familiar with the programs for older ages.)

Some people add a lot of extra learning at home related to piece of memory work, some people just focus on memorizing in isolation, and some just use it as exposure. It is really up to each family to figure out how CC fits into their homeschool.

The communities often do a lot of things together. Our group has a children's theater performance to attend on Thursday, and a pumpkin patch/farm visit on Friday. We also alternate between Playball (sports skills) and handbells after a big group lunch break on CC days.

While most people who say "CC" are referring to attending a weekly community, there are also people who use the CC memory work at home without a community.

Edited by MeganW

On the general board I expect CC to mean Christian Content.

On the high school board it usually means Community College.

On this board Classical Conversations is the most common usage.

You have to read and figure it out by context.

Yep, I didn't look at where I was posting, I use "new posts". The CC I was unsure about refers to on the general board- thanks for the clarification.

Why do people put Christian Content in the title on the general board?

Thanks it is getting clearer, clear as mud lol:tongue_smilie:

Just kidding I do appreciate every bodies help here, especially with this being our first year. I still feel like I'm wading through to find what is best for us. KWIM?

Chepyl I just saw that we are both in OK! How are you liking it? I see in your siggy that you are using varied curriculum so I'm guessing there is not specific "CC" curriculum you use. It's JUST memory work? Is it a lot to fit in alongside everyday work?

I love OK. I grew up in North Okc, my parents are still here, just in Edmond now.

I do not do a CC community. I loved the set up for the memory work. It is a three year cycle, each child repeats it twice. The history timeline is done every year. I did not want to use it as a full curriculum. And I am already in a co-op. I wanted more of a fun once a wek situation for my kids. It is more social than cc would be.

We started with cycle 1 this year because we are on Ancients and doing Biology. The memory work fit nicely from cycle 1. I am not super strict about the memorization this year. We get as much as we can. He is doing great with the timeline.

CC can be a full curriculum, you just add math. I added grammar and science, merging CC and WTM plans.

If you want to get a good feel for the philosophy behind cc, read The Core, by Leigh Bortins. She founded the company. I was as inspired by her book as by WTM. It does not lay everything out in Tue same way, but it has some great ideas.

Where in OK are you?

Why do people put Christian Content in the title on the general board?

1. Some people post a topic that is either directed towards Christians, or where they are seeking advice/comments from Christians specifically.

2. It used to be (maybe still is for some) that people had a long load time for pages, so they would click a topic and wait for it load to find out it wasn't of interest to them or not even meant for them. So as I recall this was also as a help to those who may not be interested.