Menu

Poor hotel service - I was irate last night!

Virginians, we just came back from the beautiful Shenandoah park. Because I made pretty last-minute arrangements, I didn't have my pick of hotels. I made reservations through the park service. The lady securing my reservations was being a bit of a pain WRT my wish to have a rollaway bed. Finally, she called me back with an "inn" (that I knew would be a dump) that was persuaded to allow the rollaway bed. Great! Except it was nagging the back of my mind that this would not work out as expected.

After hiking and climbing for hours and miles at "Little Devil Stairs," (OWWW! My calves are on fire!) we found the "inn" and I checked in. I asked the check-in lady, "...and you have my request for a rollaway bed?" She deferred to the grinning guy in the corner who didn't seem to speak much English. He said something that she reiterated as, "Oh, the rollaway is already in the room! Great!" She handed me the key. We headed off to dinner; it was already 7:00pm. Of course we came back late and exhausted. And what do we find when we open the door? No rollaway bed! Naturally.

I went to the office and there is the grinning goof, but no check-in lady. I asked about the rollaway. "Oh, all rollaways in other rooms." Simpering smile as if this was perfectly okey-dokey. I admit. I lost my cool. I asked him if there was another room they could give us, but no, they are all filled. He had no answer. He could say nothing rational. I don't even think he said "sorry." He just babbled how there were no extra beds with that insipid grin in place.

My dear, sweet 11yods slept on the floor; the nasty, crotchety, 1940's floor. :mad: I feel so scre*ed. I feel as though I was stuck there by the reservation lady without a real prayer of getting what I asked for. I wish I had just lied from the first moment and said I had 2 kids; at least I could have prepared with a blow-up bed. I don't think there is anything I can do about it now, except complain to the Shenandoah reservation line people, but still...it won't help anything except maybe they will actually say, "Sorry." :rant:

Okay, rant over.

That's frustrating. :( It reminds me of the time my sister and I drove over 1,000 to go to our grandma's 90th birthday. We booked a hotel about 2/3 of the way because we didn't want to drive straight through. We each booked rooms with two queen beds because we each had four children at the time. When we arrived to check in, we were each given a room with ONE queen bed. All of the other rooms were full. There were rollaways available, but the person on duty refused to bring them up to our rooms because his knee was hurt. My parents had arrived at the hotel a few hours ahead of us and had been given a room with two queens. They had some of our kids sleep in their room. It was a miserable night and we were ticked because our reservations clearly showed double queen rooms and we got NO apologies or help when they gave our rooms to other people. :glare:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I TOTALLY understand!!!! We are always honest with the number of people we have and all and we have six. I would DEFINITELY complain!!!! Even after the fact. DO it!!!!

And, then. When you get home join a hotel chain's frequent stayer program. We've chosen Marriott and we have had wonderful luck with them . Lots of upgrades for free. LOVE it!!!

I really hate staying at hotels. We've never had any ultra bad experiences, but I just hate it in general. We have left a hotel before after checking in (we got our money back). I always try to be sure that I make reservations well enough in advance that I have my pick of hotels to choose from. I'm very funny about where I stay.

OH! You should read some of my reviews! If it bites, I write it up. If it's good, I write it up. Interesting to see which owners contact you for more info. They tend to be the best.

When you write a HORRENDOUS view, nobody from the hotel contacts you directly, but there will be a brand new review which tries to refute the previous (your) review. "They may have some troubles, but this is a *GREAT* hotel. I have been there several time and have never seen vomit on the stairs! Sometimes people do get sick. "

etc etc

When we arrived to check in, we were each given a room with ONE queen bed. All of the other rooms were full. There were rollaways available, but the person on duty refused to bring them up to our rooms because his knee was hurt. My parents had arrived at the hotel a few hours ahead of us and had been given a room with two queens. They had some of our kids sleep in their room. It was a miserable night and we were ticked because our reservations clearly showed double queen rooms and we got NO apologies or help when they gave our rooms to other people. :glare:

Ugh! Yes, that is very similar to what happened. It just made me feel like, "How can you NOT honor the reservation the way it was made?!"

Also there are lots of on-line travel/hotel review sites. I would give them bad reviews on as many sites as you can find. I know we look at those sites when we travel.

Yes. I intend to do this. I usually book on-line and I usually read reviews. I messed up this time by short notice. Planning at least several weeks out is far superior, for sure!

I really hate staying at hotels. We've never had any ultra bad experiences, but I just hate it in general. We have left a hotel before after checking in (we got our money back). I always try to be sure that I make reservations well enough in advance that I have my pick of hotels to choose from. I'm very funny about where I stay.

This is definitely what hurt me in this case. :glare: I'm not even terribly picky about hotels; if they are clean and there is a BED for everyone :glare:, I'm good for one night. This place was truly crummy. The bathroom was outfitted in the same fixtures as my grandmother's house (literally fixtures from the 40's or 50's at the latest). It was the bed thing that really got me, though.

OH! You should read some of my reviews! If it bites, I write it up. If it's good, I write it up. Interesting to see which owners contact you for more info. They tend to be the best.

When you write a HORRENDOUS view, nobody from the hotel contacts you directly, but there will be a brand new review which tries to refute the previous (your) review. "They may have some troubles, but this is a *GREAT* hotel. I have been there several time and have never seen vomit on the stairs! Sometimes people do get sick. "

etc etc

Good idea. I have written reviews before. The times I have done this, though, were when I booked on-line. So, I went to Expedia or Travelocity and wrote the review. I'm not sure how to go about it for this one, because I didn't book it that way. I did a search on Travelocity and didn't even get this hotel on the search. (It is the Cardinal Inn in Luray, if anyone is curious.)

The best thing about writing bad reviews on Tripadvisor is that you get periodic emails telling you how many people have read your review. I reviewed an obscure but way pricey camp in Namibia where I had an awful experience, and every time I get one of those emails, it makes me happy.

Terri

I'd complain. Big time. It's in my nature. If I pay for it, I want what I paid for. If it were free, I'd expect nothing great. Kwim?

When we lived in the states we use to check Motel 6 online for specials. NEVER had a bad stay there, and I know it's not top of the line. We often got to stay in their BRAND NEW places for less then half of what the going price was. When we would see the actual rates on the door in the room we were shocked.

I would complain too. We used to travel a lot, I always booked rooms online. I had one chain I used a lot, so I knew their system. I knew what requested and confirmed meant in a reservation.

We went to my sister's wedding. my parents drove down in their car. My son was about 2 1/2, he wanted nothing more than to share a room with my parents. I had book adjoining rooms or a suite, I can't remember. Nine hours, we're walkie talking with my parents and telling ds how much fun he's going to have in a suite with us all.

When we get there, we can't have the room we booked as guaranteed room. It was late, we all went to bed and ds cried himself to sleep over not being able to share a room with my parents. He wanted us all together, not just going to stay with them.

After nine hours of driving, not getting what we had been guaranteed, and a night of not sleeping I was not a happy camper. I gathered my mother's skillls of diplomacy and complained the next morning. At first they tried to blow me off, which ticked me off even more. So I pulled out my reservation form and read their definition of guaranteed vs. requested (not the exact terms, I can't remember). We ended up with a free night.

Maybe not my finest moment of grace and diplomacy, but I had booked that specific hotel for their guarantee we could room together. It was a large city, I had plenty of choices.

I hate crappy hotel service. You didn't get what you requested, what you were promised, and it's not like you just showed up and requested it upon check in. I'd complain.

I'm not generally creeped out by hotels, but sleeping on the carpet. UGH :ack2: