Menu

Ideas for activity/craft/keep-them-occupied thing during Thanksgiving dinner

We will have 17-20 kids for thanksgiving this year. The kids will have a separate eating area on our lanai while the adults sit down for a formal dinner.

Every year I put together an activity for the kids to work on after dinner to buy us some time before putting on a movie (I like a long lingering dinner).

I have done popsicle stick frames, poetry painting on our plastic fence (huge hit), and last year they could paint or bejewel raw wood photo frames that I bought in bulk.

Any great ideas for this year? I'll have ages 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15- with some multiples in there to add up to 17 kids for sure.

It is a great group of older kids who will do a great job working with the younger, so that isn't a problem. I'm just fishing for ideas.

Mahalo!

~Jo

One year my mom printed out a bunch of Thanksgiving themed crossword puzzles, word searches and coloring pages to keep the kids occupied. They were a hit. She also had a glass container filled with candy and whoever guessed the closest won the container. Also a huge hit. They kept passing the jar around and trying to count.

One year my mom printed out a bunch of Thanksgiving themed crossword puzzles, word searches and coloring pages to keep the kids occupied. They were a hit. She also had a glass container filled with candy and whoever guessed the closest won the container. Also a huge hit. They kept passing the jar around and trying to count.

Thanks. I thought about that, but with all the ages I'm thinking I'll need something a little more interactive.

There will be plenty-o-boys, and if it isn't interesting they'll reach for the nerf-guns, which I'm trying to discourage on Thanksgiving (we have crazy neighbors that call security if we are too loud :glare:).

The guessing jar is a fantastic idea! It is on the Plan of the Day.

~Jo

What about having some salt dough Christmas ornaments for them to decorate w/ glitter and glue ons. I love the ones that smell like cinnamon. Of course, the littles might try to eat them. (or pre-make and bake some ornaments w/ that light weight sculpey clay stuff)

We made picture frames out of tongue depressors one year at cub scout day camp, and they decorated them w/ leaves, sticks, and things they found laying around outside. That was a hit.

Leaf rubbings (rub the crayon over the ribbed side of leaves) to go in the picture frames?

Edited by Unicorn

If the poetry painting was a hit, you could always bring that back.

What about a scavenger hunt or a treasure hunt (going from clue to clue)?

If you live somewhere with autumn foliage, these are cute: http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/holiday-seasonal-crafts/fall-crafts/nature-crafts/foliage-friends-671141/

Do you celebrate Christmas? Would making handprint wreaths be a good idea? It might be too much cutting. Or something like this: http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/holiday-seasonal-crafts/winter-crafts/more-winter-crafts/cheery-cupcake-wrapper-wreath-940823/

Ornaments of some kind? Something with salt dough? How much "mess" are you able to handle (for example, if you're limited to the living room that has carpet, you might not want paint)

Yes! The tissue paper crafts like this: http://www.orientaltrading.com/foam-and-crinkle-tissue-paper-indian-corn-craft-kit-a2-48_4633-12-1.fltr?Ntt=tissue+paper+craft

take FOREVER to do and are very cute. LOL They have a few styles like the Indian corn, a pumpkin, candy corn (no fall leaves, I know because I was looking...). There is an adhesive section that you peel off and then little squares of tissue paper that you crinkle up a bit and then stick them to the shape. You *can't* mess these up--however, there are more complicated shapes/pictures like the turkey or snowman where you do sort of need to put the right color in the right spot. We did these several years ago--Easter eggs--and the kids really liked them! (Kept them busy at great-grandma's very boring house. LOL)

Also, there are fun coloring and activity placemats that can keep them busy.

My mom had these Find It games on each table. It was a blast. Everyone got into it. Not the theme you were looking for but a good memory maker.

You can make these with two liter bottles, colored rice, and whatever small items you can find around the house that fits. You can get your items back when done with them.

You can make smaller versions for the younger kids with a 1 liter bottle.