Menu

Looking for a pie crust recipe that doesn't use shortening...

Dh brought home two bags of apples he picked from a customers tree. They have never been sprayed (yay!). He wants apple pies. I love apple pies too....but, I haven't made them in years. The only pie crust recipe I have ever used was from one of my old cookbooks and it uses shortening (I used Crisco). Is anything even made using Crisco anymore?? I just looked in another cook book for a different pie crust recipe and it also uses shortening. Can I make a decent pie crust that doesn't use shortening?? If so.....I need the recipe. Thanks!

Dh brought home two bags of apples he picked from a customers tree. They have never been sprayed (yay!). He wants apple pies. I love apple pies too....but, I haven't made them in years. The only pie crust recipe I have ever used was from one of my old cookbooks and it uses shortening (I used Crisco). Is anything even made using Crisco anymore?? I just looked in another cook book for a different pie crust recipe and it also uses shortening. Can I make a decent pie crust that doesn't use shortening?? If so.....I need the recipe. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you can make a butter pie crust the same way you'd make a shortening one. Just make sure the butter is very cold so it doesn't start to melt, and cut it in well. Should work the same way! I'll see if I can find some proof though :D

ETA: Bingo!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/butter-flaky-pie-crust/detail.aspx

I'm pretty sure you can make a butter pie crust the same way you'd make a shortening one. Just make sure the butter is very cold so it doesn't start to melt, and cut it in well. Should work the same way! I'll see if I can find some proof though :D

Yes, this or coconut oil in its hardened state.

Yes, this or coconut oil in its hardened state.

Ooooh, I never thought of that! Yum! Now I'm craving pie. That would be a pretty stinkin' cool surprise for DH when he comes home, if only I wasn't so exhausted from our first (very long) day of 4th grade *sigh*

I wonder if I can pull something together in time...

We made pie crust this weekend--

Just an interesting (to me, anyway) tidbit--

Pie crust is notoriously hard to roll out, b/c you use very little water. If you substitute vodka for some of the water, you can make it moister and easier to roll. Vodka is 60% water and 40% ethanol; the ethanol bakes out, so you can use more to wet the dough.

I thought that was kinda cool--chemistry at it's finest...:lol:

My grandma taught me to use oil. Take a heap of flour, add a dash of salt, mix in oil with a fork until it is kinda dry clumps, add cold water and mix until it seems about right, add more oil if needed. Do not over mix! Alas, neither she nor I (nor my dad, who also uses this "recipe" ) ever measured. We just know from experience when it looks right, and when to add a bit more oil or water (or flour if we really mess up!). Too much oil and the result is a powdery crust, too much water and it bakes rock hard. Just right - amazingly tender crust. Grandma also taught us to roll out the dough between sheets of wax paper - avoids adding in flour, doesn't stick, and then the wax paper helps get it into the pie pan in one piece.

Here is a recipe I googled - it might just be what I have been using:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1937,154170-231199,00.html

Thanks everyone! The All Recipes flaky pie crust is the one I used. It was PERFECT. Best pie crust I ever made. It was super easy. I used about 1/2 the amount of water and only refrigerated the dough about an hour. I made two so I could make a lattice top. I fluted the edges. I'm so proud. I took a picture. :lol: It was an awesome apple pie. :drool5: I don't mean to brag....it's just that I haven't made a pie in like 10 years! Now dh wants me to make one every day until the apples are used up! :001_huh: :glare: :001_smile: I had a little leftover pie crust dough, so I made cinnamon sticks (like my mom always did when she made pies). Oh.....and I didn't add the vodka. :D

I do them in the food processor. It's super easy, and once you've done one you might as well do some more and put them in the freezer, as you're doing the clean-up anyway. Great for the holidays - make up a bunch for Thanksgiving and do some to carry you over to Christmas. I store them in fat round blobs, to make them easier to roll out once they're defrosted. (Make a ball, then flatten it, wrap in wax paper, put into zip-loc with others.

I use semi-defrosted butter to make them.

I do them in the food processor. It's super easy, and once you've done one you might as well do some more and put them in the freezer, as you're doing the clean-up anyway. Great for the holidays - make up a bunch for Thanksgiving and do some to carry you over to Christmas. I store them in fat round blobs, to make them easier to roll out once they're defrosted. (Make a ball, then flatten it, wrap in wax paper, put into zip-loc with others.

I use semi-defrosted butter to make them.

Great idea. Thanks!