Menu

Dh put gas in my enamel stock pot/canner!

Ok, what says the hive?

I burnt sugar to the bottom of my enamel stock pot/canner. I soaked it for days with water, dish soap and vinegar. I scrubbed on it for days with steel wool. I barely made a dent in it! So DH got it clean by scrubbing with gas and other solvents. He insists we can clean it with dishsoap and continue using it as a stock pot and canner. I really don't think so, but he insists.

Does anyone know?

Maybe I'm missing something....why would there be a problem with using it as long as you wash out the gas or whatever else was used? Are you concerned about residual chemicals, or that the chemicals might have damaged the structural integrity of the pot?

For getting burnt sugar out of an enamel pan, I would try (not all at once - one at a time!)

1. vinegar/baking soda paste left on over night (my goto for burned pans). Scrape loose with spatula. If still not removed, rinse out, boil water in the pan, add more baking soda, and let simmer about 20 minutes. I have had to alternate these a couple of times for really bad messes before all of it came loose.

2. Easy-Off Oven Cleaner (I do this in the garage or outside because it stinks). Great for enamel pans.

3. Cover bottom of pan with a couple inches of water. Add 4tbsp salt, stir, leave over night. Then bring to a boil the next morning. This works for burnt jelly, so maybe it will work for burnt sugar?

This is what you do, ( or at least what my toolmaker husband does)

He got a piece of dowel, attached steel wool to the end, placed the other end in the drill where a dill bit would usually go and POLISHED THE BURN OFF!

I told him he should invent a machine that does that and we would be millionaires as every single household would buy one. He expressed shock that everyone doesn't already know how to polish metal clean.

By the way I only just worked out that when you say gas you are meaning petrol, not propane. I was sort of wondering what your husband did!

This is what you do, ( or at least what my toolmaker husband does)

He got a piece of dowel, attached steel wool to the end, placed the other end in the drill where a dill bit would usually go and POLISHED THE BURN OFF!

I told him he should invent a machine that does that and we would be millionaires as every single household would buy one. He expressed shock that everyone doesn't already know how to polish metal clean.

By the way I only just worked out that when you say gas you are meaning petrol, not propane. I was sort of wondering what your husband did!

LOL! It's enamel though, not stainless steel? Won't polishing take the enamel off?

Oven cleaner ? That is what you would use inside an oven...I think that is an enameled surface....

It's sitting with the oven cleaner now. Thanks! I can't believe I didn't think of that. Of course, my mom said that you can't use oven cleaner on dishes you eat out of. I don't know why and when I asked her she said "you just don't". :confused::001_huh: I think that's why the gas and rust remover bothered me. When I asked DH why it would be okay his response was "because it just will". :confused::001_huh: Sometimes i feel so stupid!

For getting burnt sugar out of an enamel pan, I would try (not all at once - one at a time!)

1. vinegar/baking soda paste left on over night (my goto for burned pans). Scrape loose with spatula. If still not removed, rinse out, boil water in the pan, add more baking soda, and let simmer about 20 minutes. I have had to alternate these a couple of times for really bad messes before all of it came loose.

2. Easy-Off Oven Cleaner (I do this in the garage or outside because it stinks). Great for enamel pans.

3. Cover bottom of pan with a couple inches of water. Add 4tbsp salt, stir, leave over night. Then bring to a boil the next morning. This works for burnt jelly, so maybe it will work for burnt sugar?

Great idea! Thanks they are next on the list.

Gas stinks. I would boil some water and see if any petrochem floats to the top, or if I smell it.

I think you'll be okay if the enamel isn't too old and cracked.

It was an almost new pot. I worry that we might have scratched the enamel with the steel wool though. I didn't see any scratches, but I haven't seen it in 2 days since it was taken to "man world" to be fixed. :tongue_smilie::lol:

When I do it, I cover the bottom of the pan with cream of tartar, get a good layer on the bin, then add a couple inches of water....not scientific at all, but it's worked. Sometimes it takes a couple rounds, and you ha e to ne sure you don't boil the water away completely before removong it from the heat....that defeats the purpose....sale me how I know. ;)

When I do it, I cover the bottom of the pan with cream of tartar, get a good layer on the bin, then add a couple inches of water....not scientific at all, but it's worked. Sometimes it takes a couple rounds, and you ha e to ne sure you don't boil the water away completely before removong it from the heat....that defeats the purpose....sale me how I know. ;)

LOL, that's pretty funny! You're supposed to watch the cleaning of the burnt on gunk so that you don't make a worse mess for yourself. Well if I was any good at watching the pots on the stove, I wouldn't be in this mess! LOL :tongue_smilie:

It was actually a case of too many irons in the fire. I really need to prioritize!

I would scrub it well a few times, then use it.

Think of the chemicals used in oven cleaners, and no-one has ever thrown away their oven after a good clean!

I don't use oven cleaners at all, but at least they don't usually directly touch the surfaces that your food is directly cooked in. I wouldn't use an oven cleaner in the pot. The harshest thing I would use would be Bar Keepers Friend.

Here is a link about using oven cleaner on utensils. It is not about enameled surfaces, but it states that surfaces are safe after washing and rinsing in a vinegar and water solution.

http://www.easyoff.us/faq.shtml

"Can EASY-OFF® Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner be used on any aluminum? We do not recommend using this product on aluminum, as it may pit and discolor it. However, it does not penetrate into the metal or remain on the surface after the recommended rinsing instructions have been followed. Utensils and appliances cleaned with EASY-OFF® Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner are completely safe for use in cooking or serving food after they have been thoroughly washed and rinsed in a vinegar and water solution."

This might sound weird, but it has worked for me on more than one occasion.

Put a bit of ammonia in the pot (1/2 cup?) plus some water (1 cup or so), and put the whole entire thing in a trash bag. Set it outside for a few days (TIME is the critical factor here, give it 3-5 days), and the stuff should wipe right off.

I never believed that until I tried it, and - stuff I couldn't get off with boiling / scratch-pad-scrubbing, etc. just WIPED OFF WITH A PAPER TOWEL.

In theory, you're supposed to use a black trash bag in the hot sun, but I live where the sun doesn't shine that often and have used a white trash bag with equal success.

Key Ingredient = TIME.

It's sitting with the oven cleaner now. Thanks! I can't believe I didn't think of that. Of course, my mom said that you can't use oven cleaner on dishes you eat out of. I don't know why and when I asked her she said "you just don't". :confused::001_huh:

Cook's Illustrated recommends using oven cleaner to remove the seasoning from cast iron, I trust them.