Menu

Help wording this invitation

rgrin

DS's birthday is next week and he really wants to do something. But we're new in the area, and we haven't had a chance to make new friends yet. We've had one day of our homeschool co-op and he would like to do something with them. But there are 15 kids in his age group/class. I don't feel like I know any of these people well enough to have all of these families over to my box-filled house, it's too cold to do anything at the park, and I can't afford to pay for all of those meals at a restaurant. How do I send an informal lunch invite (I don't even know the names of the kids or their parents, yet:blushing:) that lets them know that even though it's for his birthday, the purpose is to give my son a chance to meet people and make friends in our new area?

What I've got (without giving away too much personal information) is:

[son's Name] is turning 6!

Come join us for a birthday lunch at

Dairy Queen in [town name]

Tuesday, October 4 at 11:30.

R.S.V.P or questions to [Rgrin] (his mom):

[555-my-phone] or [my email address]

No gifts please; your presence (and a chance to make new friends)

is the only present desired. Lunch will be “Dutch Treat,â€

but a DINO-MITE ice cream cake will be provided for dessert!

ETA: Possible NEW VERSION in post #11

Edited by rgrin

I think I would do just cake too. I think telling people to "buy for yourself" no matter how gentle, lol xD Can come across stiff if you don't know the person. KWIM? I understand why your doing it. I totally would too, but some people find any excuse to be unhappy.

You could always do a mall party depending on the age of the kids. Make up a list of things for them to do a scavenger hunt for, and then have cake at the food court. :p

Something like this: http://www.birthdaypartyideas4kids.com/freebie-shopping-spree-mall-scavenger-hunt-list.htm

Edit: Oh he is 6... this may not work. hummmmmmm I'd probably go with the just cake idea. :p

Edited by Caterpiller

[son's Name] is turning 6!

Come join us for a birthday celebration at

Dairy Queen in [town name]

Tuesday, October 4 at 1 pm.

[555-my-phone] or [my email address]

No gifts please; your presence (and a chance to make new friends)

is the only present desired.

A DINO-MITE ice cream cake will be provided!

How about just shifting the party to 1:00 and doing just ice cream cake? That way you don't have to worry about the wording and you won't have people sitting out becasue they can't afford to go out for lunch.

That's just it, it's not really a "party." I have not been able to find anywhere in town that has a set up for kids parties. None have an indoor playground, a room set aside, or anything. DS chose Dairy Queen because he likes their lunch and he saw an ice cream cake with a dinosaur on top that he wants. That's it. We can't move the booths out of the way for games. There's no room for a pinata. Nothing. That's why we settled on lunch. A chance to sit, eat, mix up the tables and talk to someone new. Would people want to come for just ice cream cake and then leave? I'm really lost on this. :confused:

How about just shifting the party to 1:00 and doing just ice cream cake? That way you don't have to worry about the wording and you won't have people sitting out becasue they can't afford to go out for lunch.

:iagree: I think inviting someone to lunch, and asking them to pay for themselves, is... well, tacky. Just do the cake.

That's just it, it's not really a "party." I have not been able to find anywhere in town that has a set up for kids parties. None have an indoor playground, a room set aside, or anything. DS chose Dairy Queen because he likes their lunch and he saw an ice cream cake with a dinosaur on top that he wants. That's it. We can't move the booths out of the way for games. There's no room for a pinata. Nothing. That's why we settled on lunch. A chance to sit, eat, mix up the tables and talk to someone new. Would people want to come for just ice cream cake and then leave? I'm really lost on this. :confused:

Would your son be willing to hold off a week to get the house put together so you could have a party at home? I think that what you described isn't going to really make him any friends to he honest. They need a chance to DO something together. He could still have his dino cake. :p

Another idea is to find the sweetest lady in the club OR the one who organizes everything, and see if they can't help out. They may be willing to help host the party as a way to help you feel included.

Okay, if I can come up with some games that we can play from the booths of the restaurant, how about this?

[son's name] is turning 6!

Come join us for

DINO-MITE ice cream cake and games at

Dairy Queen in [town]

Tuesday, October 4 at 1:00.

[555-my-phone] or [my email]

No gifts please; your presence (and a chance to make new friends) is the only present desired. We’ll be there at 12:30 for lunch if you’d like to come early and join us!

yeah, can't invite to lunch then have it "dutch treat." the following is an idea. hand out invites at next co-op homeschool time. have fun!! :)

please join new pal,

johnny smith

in celebrating his 6th birthday

for ice cream

at

Dairy Queen

Thursday, March 10, 2011

at 2pm

no gifts please. your presence alone

will make this celebration extra special.

can't wait to meet all of you.

john, jane, and johnny smith

regrets 225.788.8888

Okay, if I can come up with some games that we can play from the booths of the restaurant, how about this?

Come join us for

Dairy Queen in [town]

No gifts please; your presence (and a chance to make new friends) is the only present desired. We’ll be there at 12:30 for lunch if you’d like to come early and join us!

still though, if someone comes early, the people putting on the party would have to pay their lunches. like the rest of wording though.

Come join us for

Dairy Queen in [town]

No gifts please; your presence (and a chance to make new friends) is the only present desired.

We’ll be there at 12:30 for lunch if you’d like to come early and join us!

I like this version - I'd come :001_smile:. I liked your first version too - I understand Dutch Treat, and most definitely think you can invite someone to a lunch with the understanding that it is Dutch Treat. Games are a great idea, especially getting-to-know-you type games.

As an aside, I live in a country without Dairy Queen, but lived for several years where there was one, and right now I feel like heading back for a chicken quesadilla!

Is there a park where you could have a picnic? It wouldn't be expensive to make sandwiches and bring some juice boxes, then have cake.

I think it could be sticky to invite people you are just getting to know to celebrate your son's birthday by buying lunch at a place you chose. I understand the $$ issue, but some may be put out by the request.

• 1 year later...