Menu

I need to be educated on mixed drinks! Please Help!

I grew up in a very French family. Wine was a staple, as were brie and good crusty bread. That said, I know very little about other forms of alcohol and types of mixed drinks. My Grandmother had a nightcap every night....what is a nightcap?

What are other typical drinks....other than Margaritas, Daiquairis, and Bloody Marys', those I know.

Also, what are normally associated as "Man" drinks?

Gin and tonic? We use 2/3 tonic to 1/3 gin; a good lime wedge squeezed and dropped in, and lots of ice. Husband drinks it too.

In winter we sometimes have a hot toddy: freshly-squeezed lemon juice, sugar or honey, a shot of whisky and hot water. Oh, and hot chocolate with peppermint liqueur in winter too - husband doesn't like that one though.

I think of a night cap as a drink at a particular time, rather than a particular kind of drink.

Laura

A nightcap just means a drink before going to bed. Doesn't indicate which one.

My man drinks single malt scotch, with a splash of water. You might want to look into single malts if you enjoy wine, as many of the same things apply....the area the barley was grown, the casks they are aged in, etc effect the taste. And there are SOOOOOOOOO many kinds. Just like you can like a Pino Grigio but hate Chardonnay, you can love one scotch and hate others. I thought I hated scotch because I'd only had dewars. Then I had Glenfidditch and Laphroaig and realized I loved it. Kind of like basing your feelings on wine by only trying the cheap 4 dollar bottles, lol.

Gin and tonic? We use 2/3 tonic to 1/3 gin; a good lime wedge squeezed and dropped in, and lots of ice. Husband drinks it too.

In winter we sometimes have a hot toddy: freshly-squeezed lemon juice, sugar or honey, a shot of whisky and hot water. Oh, and hot chocolate with peppermint liqueur in winter too - husband doesn't like that one though.

I think of a night cap as a drink at a particular time, rather than a particular kind of drink.

Laura

Mmm..my hot toddy favorite it hot tea with lemon, honey, and scotch. Yum.

Wolf likes beer, brandy in the winter, and will drink vodka straight.

When we went out dancing, a shot or two of tequilia was his thing.

He will also drink wine *gack* I can't get it past my nose, unless its ice wine.

Me, I go for girly sort of stuff. When I'm not pregnant, I love Smirinoff Twisted Black Cherry coolers in the summer. Yummy. I also enjoy a rye whiskey and coke now and then.

My Dad, 6"4, truck driver, full beard...'Manly Man' drank Fuzzy Navels, Singapore Slings, and Screwdrivers :lol:

Wolf likes beer, brandy in the winter, and will drink vodka straight.

When we went out dancing, a shot or two of tequilia was his thing.

He will also drink wine *gack* I can't get it past my nose, unless its ice wine.

Me, I go for girly sort of stuff. When I'm not pregnant, I love Smirinoff Twisted Black Cherry coolers in the summer. Yummy. I also enjoy a rye whiskey and coke now and then.

My Dad, 6"4, truck driver, full beard...'Manly Man' drank Fuzzy Navels, Singapore Slings, and Screwdrivers :lol:

The image of your dad is crackin' me up!!!! :lol:

You know what my dh did? He got the Esquire Guide to Mixed Drinks and made us a new one every day. He found the book used, cheapo. It made for a really fun summer project. :0)

hmmmm....there is an idea!

That's what mine did, too, but it was another book. Fun was had by all. :001_smile:

I bet you guys had a blast! Any that you HATED? :tongue_smilie:

You know what my dh did? He got the Esquire Guide to Mixed Drinks and made us a new one every day. He found the book used, cheapo. It made for a really fun summer project. :0)

There's a free ipod app called Mixology that has tons. You can also search by ingredient - like if you have cranberry juice, it will suggest things to mix it with. It's not great, and has a lot of duplication with the same thing under several names, but well worth it for free!

Go, Dad! Reminds me of our friend, an enormous, rugby-playing firefighter who likes virgin peach margaritas. As far as I know, nobody has had the guts to tell him there's anything unmanly about them. :)

Just don't ever let my Dad mix you a drink. Could strip wallpaper with what he mixes up. Phew.

That's what mine did, too, but it was another book. Fun was had by all. :001_smile:

Too funny! We did this too, with the Playboy Bartender's Guide (DH had received it as a gift). We starting working our way through the drinks, but DH had strict rules. We had to use actual recommended brands, and the right glasses, mixing tools, etc. AND we had to work our way through the book in order, and finish one drink...the whole drink. Unfortunately for me, gin drinks were first. You would not believe how many martinis there are, with just slight changes. Gin, vermouth, twist of lemon. Gin, vermouth, olive. Gin vermouth, pickled onion. Aack! I burned out on gin pretty fast. :lol:

A lot of the mixed drinks were way too sweet, but we did find a rum punch that was delicious, and we've made it at several get-togethers by request. I don't have the book in front of me, but I googled the recipe and this looks right (the block of ice is important, so it doesn't water down the punch. DH just freezes water in a medium-sized pot so it'll fit in the punch bowl):

BARBADOS BOWL

12 oz dark rum

12 oz light rum

8 oz lime juice

12 oz mango nectar

1.75 qt pineapple juice

1 banana

2 limes

1 cup sugar

Make sure you chill all your ingredients before starting. Blend 6 of the bananas, sugar and lime juice in a blender until smooth. Pour result over a block of ice in your punch bowl. Add the rums, mango nectar and pineapple juice and stir well. Refrigerate for at least an hour, then slice limes and remaining bananas and float the slices in the punch bowl. Serve in punch glasses!

I grew up in a very French family. Wine was a staple, as were brie and good crusty bread. That said, I know very little about other forms of alcohol and types of mixed drinks. My Grandmother had a nightcap every night....what is a nightcap?

What are other typical drinks....other than Margaritas, Daiquairis, and Bloody Marys', those I know.

Also, what are normally associated as "Man" drinks?

Scotch, bourbon, gin, and whiskey are "man" liquors. Well, not exclusively man drinks, because bourbon is my favorite. "Man" cocktails tend to be all alcohol, or at least very little mixer.

A night cap usually is a liquor on the rocks (on ice) or neat (no ice) with no mixer served before bedtime.

Dh doesn't like hard liquor although occasionally he will drink a Long Island Iced Tea. He's into microbrews, but he's not a fan of the darker ales (think Guiness).

I'm a sweet/fruity martini or mojito type of girl. Magaritas are yummy as well! I also like white wines with Reisling and Moscato being my favorites. Can you tell I have a sweet tooth? :D