Menu

What would you do with a school budget of "10,591 per student?

Honestly since dh has been underemployed for about 18 months, we'd use that money to ease the burden a little. Dh could piddle around, work part time, cook lunch and dinner when he's not working, and keep the house clean. He's a neat freak and a better cook. I could concentrate on teaching. Our monthly expenses are low enough we could make do for several months without additional income.

I would provide the children with an education, but they already get that.

Funny; all the excuses, all the "apples and oranges" comparisons and we all forget that the while the ps system spends some 10,000 per student it does not do what many hs parents do for 10 to 20% of that sum.....actually educate children.

What a waste of funds.

I would provide the children with an education, but they already get that.

Funny; all the excuses, all the "apples and oranges" comparisons and we all forget that the while the ps system spends some 10,000 per student it does not do what many hs parents do for 10 to 20% of that sum.....actually educate children.

What a waste of funds.

:iagree:

I understand that buildings and busses cost a lot of $, but I think we could cut things down to just what is spent per capita after buildings and busses have been paid for and STILL see the same issue.

If I ever get into politics, this is why I will push for the education $$$ to follow the child to PS, private school, charter school, magent school,HS, whatever...and the PS building fund can be a separate entity. This is also why I will probably never get into politics b/c people are very grabby about *their* money, kids' needs aside.

Schools do what gets $. Right now, the almighty TEST brings in the $, so it is what schools are made for. Give PARENTS the choice about where the child goes to school, where that $ goes, and all of a sudden the parents have a whole lot more say in what goes on in a classroom. Give TEACHERS the opportunity to earn a salary in porportion to how many parents request their classroom (and give them professional freedom!!!), and we'll see some good changes (and some chaffe finding other lines of work).

It is fun to dream about what our little family could DO with all that money though.:001_smile:

If I ever get into politics, this is why I will push for the education $$$ to follow the child to PS, private school, charter school, magent school,HS, whatever...and the PS building fund can be a separate entity. This is also why I will probably never get into politics b/c people are very grabby about *their* money, kids' needs aside.

I have thought about that. But how will you determine how much money a school would get for a child. Would the child with no special needs and behavioral issues get the school the same amount of money as the child with lots of special needs?

If not how will it be determined how much money a certain child will get a school? Who will determine this?

Could a school turn down a child? Could a school expel a child? Could these options make it so a school will only accept non special needs children. Where will those special needs children go?

Could a school come up with reasons for not accepting certain students. IE. a school that focus on sports or a certain sport will have a reason to turn down any child with physical special needs.

I have thought about that. But how will you determine how much money a school would get for a child. Would the child with no special needs and behavioral issues get the school the same amount of money as the child with lots of special needs?

If not how will it be determined how much money a certain child will get a school? Who will determine this?

Could a school turn down a child? Could a school expel a child? Could these options make it so a school will only accept non special needs children. Where will those special needs children go?

Could a school come up with reasons for not accepting certain students. IE. a school that focus on sports or a certain sport will have a reason to turn down any child with physical special needs.

FL's voucher system does value scholarships based on the student. Regular vouchers for non-special needs are set at one price. For students with an IEP, the amount changes based on their level of disability.

I would LOVE that budget. :p lol!

DD would get to be in gymnastics AND dance. We would get to do a lot of those "hands on" experiances at places like sea world and the zoo (not to mention we could GO to places like sea world and the zoo. :lol:). We could spend a week on a ranch and learn all about horses. (She'd be SO happy.) She could probably even take a weekly riding lesson. She could take music lessons, and have a tutor come over to teach her all the different languages on her list to learn (She is 4 and wants to learn sign language, spanish, french, and chinese. :tongue_smilie:)

It could be fun. lol

Not here. Parents do not pay for busing in any of the places I've lived in the U.S. Is it normal to pay in Canada?

Sure they do. It's part of the cost of public education, paid for by taxes. Also, in some places, parents pay to bus their kids. Where we used to live, it was $600 a year ($300 per child; capped at $600; payable in July).

What if the way school dollars were allocated underwent radical change? What if say $1500 of the total $10,591 attached to the particular student was to be spent by the educator to purchase the materials, books, programs best suited to the child? What if teaching became less about applying a one size fits all and more about using data and judgment to develop a plan for each student?

Recognizing so many students need a safe place to be while parents are otherwise occupied, I suppose the remainder would be easily consumed in the costs associated with providing place and supervision.

I look at the tools, like what they are doing with Kahn Academy and the tracking components, and can't help but ask why we continue to view public education and funding the way we do. I am perplexed by why the amazing tools available are not employed and education is provided for so many in the same way it was before these types of tools changed life otherwise so greatly.