Menu

Just need to vent....

My DH is a commercial airline pilot ~ has been since the day I met him.

Tonight my kids declared our van was an airplane and asked if I'd the "airplane driver person". I posted on Facebook that, given my husband's job, one would think our children would actually know what this job is called.

I posted it because it was cute. Of course my children know what a pilot is....

Anyway, no less than five people immediately jumped on it and posted things like "Way to go home skol" and "OMG, and you homeschool your children?" or "What exactly do you teach your kids all day?"

It just really irks me ~ because I homeschool, my kids are never allowed to make a mistake, I'm never allowed to misspell something on FB and God forbid I have a rough day and try to complain about it on FB....ggrrr.

Sorry, rant over. Just had to get that off my chest.

Guest submarines

:grouphug: I don't even think it is about homeschooling. It is about people not having a sense of humor. And even more so, about people not getting humor shared via text.

I have a friend like this. When we text, I'd often joke about something, and from her responses I see that she thinks I'm 110% serious. I started adding "j/k" at the end of almost every line. ;)

And it *is* to some degree about homeschooling as well--just the general attitude towards homeschooling allows them to be critical of other people choices. After all if a parent of a public school child posted something similar, you would hardly read a "What are they teaching kids in school?" comment. And if there was a comment like this, most would think it was a tongue in cheek comment as well.

:grouphug:

Ah, I know this syndrome well. Anything my kids don't get on the intellectual front, it's because we're homeschooling. Everytime we get a cold or flu? It's because we're vegetarian. Any money troubles? It must be because we're self-employed. Cuz, you know, those 'regular' folks never get sick, can spout of the entire curriculum from k-12 at the drop of a hat, and have more money than they know what to do with. :tongue_smilie:

It's my personal belief that some people are very threatened by those of us who make different choices than they do/did. They take our choice as somehow making a judgment about them, rather than it simply being what works best for our family.

:grouphug: I don't even think it is about homeschooling. It is about people not having a sense of humor. And even more so, about people not getting humor shared via text.

I agree, but I'd consider the possibility that the comments were also intended to be humorous. It is so hard to read tone online. I tend to be kind of hopelessly optimistic about most things, but I'd probably err on the side of assuming they were just trying to be funny.

It's my personal belief that some people are very threatened by those of us who make different choices than they do/did

This. Over and over again. My fiercest and loudest critic, when I first announced we were going to homeschool ds1, was the mother of 3 teen boys in public school, who, I later found out, were respectively on drugs, in some sort of trouble with a girl and failing classes. It taught me to see that sort of criticism in a different light; I can't help but think she was feeling like she had failed her boys and saw me as some sort of threat.

Also, when my boys were younger, we had friends whose Dad was a bus driver, which was clearly the coolest job in the world. It was embarassing to have a father who was a chartered accountant. :lol:

Honestly, if those responses came from the people I'm friends with on Facebook I'd think they were just laughing with me about the whole thing and I'd probably joke back that I would have to send them off to school to learn that one thing or something.

I don't keep people on Facebook who would make those remarks in a nasty or vicious way.