Menu

Learning Latin myself?

Hope this isn't a thread this board has hashed over and over again. I tend to hang out at the K-8 board. If so, I appreciate your patience in answering it again!

Anyhow -

I'm early in the hs journey - 1st grade dd and preschool ds. We plan to stick fairly closely to the WTM model, including Latin. I'm excited about homeschooling as much for my sake as the dc's - a chance to go back and learn all of this again... for real... :-)

My question is on Latin. I'd like to start working on it now so I have the basics under my belt by the time we start it in a year or two. Do you have any recommendations on a Latin path for adult beginners? I've done other languages, French and German, and have an English degree, so grammar isn't really a problem.

Thanks -

Here's another good resource:

http://latinum.mypodcast.com

The author of this podcast is teaching through an adult Latin textbook by Adler. The site is difficult to understand, and the lectures are difficult to understand; but I suspect it's worth plowing through.

To get started, look at the link on the right called "First Language Lessons and Latin Suffixes." From that page (which is very slow to load), scroll all the way to the bottom. The first lesson is at the bottom. The 2nd is just above the 1st. The 3rd is just above the second. Then listen to the 4th lesson, which is just above the 3rd.

After that, go back to the home page. Scroll down to the blog entries on the right side of the page. The first one with lessons is the next to the last one, called "16 Week in 2007." Click that. Again, the page will load very slowly. Again, scroll to the bottom, and listen to the lesson at the bottom first, working your way up. The 3rd one from the bottom is entitled "First Lesson for Beginners." The first two (the bottom two) are kind of an advanced introduction. (Meant nothing to me.)

I agree w/Plaid Dad's suggestions. I like the Henle/Lingua Latina combination.

I'd use LL earlier, though. If you take the readings slowly, you should do fine, and not have to wait until you complete unit 7 in Henle.

(Sorry, Drew! I've had a slightly different experience w/LL and Henle.)

if you wish to be the best man, you must suffer the bitterest of the bitter.-------------------------Our wow power leveling website offer Fast and Secure wow powerleveling service. WoW Power Leveling 60-70, Cheap wow power leveling 1-70. The Professional Cheap WoW Gold! Powerlevel wow gold now. WOrld of warcraft Power Leveling bloom of true love associated with this time of year!

SPAM!!

I really liked LatinStudy http://nxport.com/mailman/listinfo/latinstudy for adult Latin learners.

HTH

Even though I want to study Latin, I really need the accountability of an on-line group. I like the fact that it's free, and it goes as a fast enough pace to keep me interested. I'm sure when the concepts get more difficult, it might be too fast.

HTH!

Hey, it looks like I've been doing it too! Only, I don't have this English Grammar for Students of Latin book--can anyone tell me exactly what it does? Is the idea that I probably didn't get any grammar in school (true enough), so this will help me out?

Hey, it looks like I've been doing it too! Only, I don't have this English Grammar for Students of Latin book--can anyone tell me exactly what it does? Is the idea that I probably didn't get any grammar in school (true enough), so this will help me out?

It is a nice book that explains basic grammar concepts and how they work in both English and in Latin. (They don't always work in quite the same way.) It is set up in Question and Answer format. (Ie. What is a Noun? What is Gender? What is the Pluperfect Tense? What is the Subjunctive Mood? What are Sentences, Phrases and Clauses?) They use Greek and Roman mythology for the examples. It won't substitute for your Latin textbook, but it will supplement it. It's a lot less technical than some of the other Latin Grammars -- it really supposes you don't know much grammar at all. It's really helpful if you already know grammar but you're going to be explaining grammar concepts too.