Menu

Baby throwing up-need reassurance

Baby girl is 7 months. She hasn't spit up in months. I was in our bedroom watching Project Runway and I heard her spit up. She started crying, so I picked her up and we were watching together. About 7ish minutes later she threw up again, kinda forcefully. As I was taking her shirt off, she threw up again, much more forcefully. She cried a little bit, but stopped when I started walking. She hasn't cried since then.

She had some rice cereal earlier in the evening and then about an hour later I nursed her and she went to bed. Her temperature is 97.7. I had noticed her coughing a lot throughout the day. She's not listless or anything, just seemed tired. Can someone please tell me she'll be ok? I've never had a baby this young throw up before. I know I should worry if she can't keep anything down or if she gets listless, right? Is there anything else I should keep my eyes open for?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I wouldn't be too worried yet--the coughing earlier could easily have been a bit of reflux/heartburn starting up, which makes babies puke, or be a bit of a cold/cough with the mucus triggering a puke, and a cold/cough is going around here (ask me how I know :glare:). I hope it's nothing serious! Just watch for more puking, diaper output, make sure she gets liquids, watch for lethargy & fever, all that normal stuff.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I wouldn't be too worried yet--the coughing earlier could easily have been a bit of reflux/heartburn starting up, which makes babies puke, or be a bit of a cold/cough with the mucus triggering a puke, and a cold/cough is going around here (ask me how I know :glare:). I hope it's nothing serious! Just watch for more puking, diaper output, make sure she gets liquids, watch for lethargy & fever, all that normal stuff.

I agree :grouphug: reflux can cause coughing and vomiting... or could just be sick :( Hope she feels better in a hurry.

Dang, is cold season starting? :glare: I hate cold season. It seems every time we step outside, the kids catch a cold. And then with each cold I'm worried they've caught mono or RSV or meningitis or something. I swear, the anxiety these kids' illnesses give me.

Dang, is cold season starting? :glare: I hate cold season. It seems every time we step outside, the kids catch a cold. And then with each cold I'm worried they've caught mono or RSV or meningitis or something. I swear, the anxiety these kids' illnesses give me.

School started, which is code for sick season. :glare:

As long as she's nursing and still having regular diapers I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. Keep an eye on her and trust your Mommy instincts!

I didn't nurse her before I put her to bed again. She went right to sleep again. I had heard that when children get the stomach flu you aren't supposed to give them anything for a few hours. Is this the correct thing to do? I have a feeling she'll be waking up in the middle of the night (because she always does) and wanting to nurse.

Guest submarines

I'd let her nurse as much as she wants, and watch her closely. Right now seems like a stomach bug to me. I think all of mine had it before they were 1 year old, at least the younger two for sure. Usually they throw up for a day and sleep a lot, but never as listless as to make me worried, then are better for a day, then throw up for a day again, and then it is over. :grouphug:

I didn't nurse her before I put her to bed again. She went right to sleep again. I had heard that when children get the stomach flu you aren't supposed to give them anything for a few hours. Is this the correct thing to do? I have a feeling she'll be waking up in the middle of the night (because she always does) and wanting to nurse.

I dont' think it's a problem that she didn't nurse again. Just follow her lead when she wakes up. The most important thing with vomitting is to make sure she stays hydrated, and to keep an eye out for listlessness, fever, etc....Don't be afraid to call the nurse line if it'll make you feel better :grouphug:

Guest submarines

I always nursed as much as they wanted to, even if it meant they'd throw up right after. Breastmilk gets absorbed really fast, and I'd rather they get something, than nothing. I'd also find it hard not to nurse a sick little one who wanted to.

I hope she sleeps well tonight.

I'd let her nurse as much as she wants, and watch her closely. Right now seems like a stomach bug to me. I think all of mine had it before they were 1 year old, at least the younger two for sure. Usually they throw up for a day and sleep a lot, but never as listless as to make me worried, then are better for a day, then throw up for a day again, and then it is over. :grouphug:

I dont' think it's a problem that she didn't nurse again. Just follow her lead when she wakes up. The most important thing with vomitting is to make sure she stays hydrated, and to keep an eye out for listlessness, fever, etc....Don't be afraid to call the nurse line if it'll make you feel better :grouphug:

I always nursed as much as they wanted to, even if it meant they'd throw up right after. Breastmilk gets absorbed really fast, and I'd rather they get something, than nothing. I'd also find it hard not to nurse a sick little one who wanted to.

I hope she sleeps well tonight.

Ok thank you. I will definitely be nursing whenever she wants and I've got a little puke bucket handy. I hope she sleeps too.

hi,

i'm an RN. could be a few things that were mentioned earlier. could have some type of stomach bug. If has a post nasal drip, sometimes the drainage if swallowed can make the stomach upset. could be the reflux acting up again. glad no fever. do clear liquids for now. do you have clear pedilyte? i say clear cuz it doesn't stain. main thing to watch for right now is hydration. watch that diapers are being wet like normal. if you think it is reflux, having your baby sleep with head elevated (like in a infant carrier) gravity may help keep the liquid down. if baby continues to not keep things down, go to MD. little ones can become dehydrated quickly due to small size. throwing up a just a few times won't make a baby seriously dehydrated. it would be consistently throwing up, not able to keep liquids down, and urine in diapers dropping off. (you can feel the weight of the diapers and even weigh them for comparison. and yes it is very good you are watching for baby's alertness. hope this helps and ya'll are able to get some sleep.

I always nursed as much as they wanted to, even if it meant they'd throw up right after. Breastmilk gets absorbed really fast, and I'd rather they get something, than nothing.

:iagree:It does sound like a simple stomach bug. That said, at 8 months ds had what was not a simple stomach bug, and as I'd thus far managed to go 6 years without encountering a child with a stomach bug, I did not really know what to look for, or that what I was seeing was not normal. In ds's case, he would periodically scream and actually try to crawl out of my arms or up the bed, i.e. he was in pain, and trying to "get away" from it, which is not normal for a simple stomach bug. We have since had the pleasure of many stomach bugs (unlike dd, ds seems prone) and there is usually some crying before puking (and wails of outrage afterwards), then he is better for a while, then the whole process repeats until we run out of clean clothes and sheets. Fun fun fun.

Poor little one!