Menu

I am so lost.....

Shanaudria

I have an 11yods and a 9yods.

I read far too many curriculum reviews and am torn..... Go easy with your advice, I'm far too emotional about this right now.

I bought all Rod and Staff for them. (6th and 4th) They aren't exactly schooling with a lot of enthusiasm with it.

I tried a more CM/Ambleside/Robinson thing with them and LOVE the literature part....however.... I felt they were churning out really immature one sentence scribbles for supposed "narrations".

For instance, after reading a chapter in Apologia Elementary Astronomy, my 11 year old sprawls out a one sentence, "I learned it takes almost a week to get to the moon." I'm not even sure if this is correct. Sigh.

Excuse me....but had he been doing Rod and Staff 6th grade science, he sure would have had to generate more substance than that.

I fear having him/them just read and then write narrations about it is going to leave me pulling my hair out with no ability to get more out of him/them than that.

I read about Robinson Curriculum, and I think they probably don't need to *do* anything....just read great books and they'll end up smart.....and then I try it and think, NO, they'll learn more doing Rod and Staff. My 11 year old can scarf down a 120 page book in a day. My 9 year old,not so much.

I notice they read fewer books on their own for pleasure when we do Rod and Staff (all subjects). But then when they read more books on their own, they churn out insipid work.

I really enjoy reading to my dc.

I really enjoy them reading to themselves.

I really enjoy lit based history.

I really don't want to mess this thing up.

I really want them educated.

I know *other* people can make their children do Rod and Staff (or Abeka or BJU) and mine aren't less capable.

I also know *other* people can give their children great educations with Robinson, Sonlight, MFW, HOD, Ambleside, etc.

I would sure hate to squash their "love of learning".....but NOBODY cared about *my* "love of learning"....we just went to school and did it. Dh doesn't want me catering to their belly aching, but leaves it up to me what to do with them.....He would be firmer, no doubt.

My dc, they just want to get school done and out of the way so they can go on to other things. They don't want it to take all day.

Any advice????

Edited by Shanaudria

They've always been home schooling. We've used Rod and Staff before, always for math, English and spelling. My 11 year old did all Rod and Staff last year for 4th. My 9 yo was slow to learn to read, so he just read books to me (easy readers ala HOD) last year.

I've varied the stuff we've done for history and science.

I think it IS possible to learn just by reading, but *somehow* I think you need to be sure the comprehension is there. Which is where the narrations come in. I don't know your children, but perhaps they have never been formally instructed in what is expected for narration? A whole chapter of science would require more than one sentence, for example. Maybe try just oral narrations for a while to see how much content they can come up with. If narrations aren't accomplishing what you want, perhaps you could try hands on projects to reinforce the science learning. My children are younger than yours, so I don't have specific advice for that age group. I wish I could offer more. I know how it is to feel frustrated with an aspect of school that just isn't coming together...and if it would make you feel better, I don't think there is anything wrong with using all Rod & Staff. It may not be the most *exciting* curriculum out there, but your peace of mind about your children's learning is invaluable.

Narration is a hard skill to learn, and it needs some serious guidance of what is expected at first.

Your selections aren't bad, but you need to go deeper with what you are doing.

Go back to the narrations, and read TWTM and some of Charlotte Mason Help for how to grow them into excellent narrations.

I'll come back to this later, have to run.

I know that my kids have gotten better the more we have done this. I know it helped when I told them specifically what I wanted as far as narration goes. Tell me about what happened in the story..... This prompt seems to work really well for me. When I first started with them I also for one sentance answer would say , than what happened or tell me more about that...Also, I have my youngest narrate first. She does pretty good. Than, I have my older, of course he does better. This way she hears his narration which I think helps my youngest figure out a little better what to do.

Can you meet them in the middle? Do parts of their lessons from their textbooks then find good, real, living books for the rest? Like for their history or science lessons, do part of the lesson in the textbook then get real books for them to read more on that subject? Or do a lesson in their textbooks one day then leave the next day for living books for them to read?

If using a CM approach that would mean the books chosen for narration should be living books, correct? Not to demean Apologia Astronomy, but I'm not sure that would exactly qualify. It's a textbook.

Not that there is anything wrong with narrating from textbooks, but it can be unbearably dry. When it comes to textbooks I tend to ask for the facts, and that could be one or more things depending on the age of the student. For a lazy narration I would sit down with the selection myself in advance of the reading and key out what I wanted to see written. Then I'd grade that sucker as unsatisfactory and toss it back.

One of the key points in CM approach is attention to detail and training observation skills. A one-line narration like that would fail in both. If the child is capable of better than say so and expect better.

If he needs training in how to observe and collect detail than sit down and outline for the older student and do a basic story web for a younger one.

My suggestion to you would be to seek some balance. CM education far from being relaxed and hands-off is actually pretty intense and requires a lot of discipline on the part of the educator and the student. As far as curriculum goes chose materials that cover what needs to be covered in a format that you are comfortable teaching. For narrations be specific about what you want, demand a high degree of detail and clarity (and teach for it!). In the reading material chosen for narration I would also try to branch out beyond text books for personal accounts of the subject matter.

For instance, for the journey to the moon, a book written by an astronaut would be appropriate to find out just what a week to the moon entails.

I don't necessarily advocate curriculum hopping but have you ever thought about or looked at CLE? Their science and history aren't the most interesting (maybe similar to R & S... a little on the dry side) but still it does seem to cover the basics.

It's definitely comprehensive and rigorous for math and LA/Reading... but the lessons are broken down into "light units". The light units cover a couple of weeks worth of work, the quizzes and tests are included in each light unit and the kids seem to really enjoy finishing a book and moving onto the next one. Having a shorter amount of work to do may make the lessons seem more manageable.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Ok, so I just asked 11yods to tell me about the book he just got reading. He started Moonshiner's Son yesterday and finished it today. He talked to me for 3 or 4 miles while I was driving, telling me about the story. He obviously comprehended it. Lol.

Thank you, everyone, for the comments. It really helps to have a soundinf board and input from other moms.:)

I don't necessarily advocate curriculum hopping but have you ever thought about or looked at CLE? Their science and history aren't the most interesting (maybe similar to R & S... a little on the dry side) but still it does seem to cover the basics.

It's definitely comprehensive and rigorous for math and LA/Reading... but the lessons are broken down into "light units". The light units cover a couple of weeks worth of work, the quizzes and tests are included in each light unit and the kids seem to really enjoy finishing a book and moving onto the next one. Having a shorter amount of work to do may make the lessons seem more manageable.

Just my 2 cents worth...

:iagree:

We moved from R&S to CLE and my kids are doing so much better! The layout allows them to learn/reinforce in a short amount of time per day...we only use their LA and Math...

Ok, so I just asked 11yods to tell me about the book he just got reading. He started Moonshiner's Son yesterday and finished it today. He talked to me for 3 or 4 miles while I was driving, telling me about the story. He obviously comprehended it. Lol.

I think you are totally fine then. My oldest is like this. He reads all the time and understands and remember every little bit but really really hates to write. I let him do oral narrations most of the time while we work systematically on the writing piece. He is a creative, intelligent kid so that works for us right now. I don't want to limit everything else he does down to his writing level but rather continue learning while we work on his writing. I just last week was posting on this board for a writing recommendation. ;)

Without meaning to puncture anyone's balloon, being able to tell you the narration and being able to express those thoughts on paper are not exactly the same thing. So I'd still focus attention on his translating skills, particularly if he can give a detailed and organized verbal narration but can't get that on paper.

My two cents:001_smile:....if you're not happy with their narrations, then break it into smaller chunks to start. While learning the skill of narrating (either verbal or written, though I think it may be easier to start with verbal) it is better to start with less and get the skill down. For instance, even just go paragraph by paragraph or half a page to start.