Menu

WWYD?

I went to my son's K open house on Thursday and was appalled to see above the blackboard a Alphabet Chart of junk food. The alphabet took up the entire stretch of wall above the black board, and above each letter was a symbol of junk food. Above the A a box of apple jacks, above the B a burger king hamburger wrapper, etc.. Seriously, it was only fast food, candy bars, and the like. My husband says I should write the school about it. Is it worth making a stink over? I don't know the situation maybe these companies pay to have these symbols up there and the school needs the finances. I was very surprised to say the least. It is not educational at all. WWYD?

It's not something that was received. Above each letter is a box or candy bar wrapper or hamburger wrapper taped to the wall. It's was made by someone there possibly the teacher. It's kinda stupid really. Like a Payday bar for P?!!! I would think that kids would associate p with pig or some more common word really unless they are totally into candy. I guess I'll ask the teacher and take it from there.

I would say, "Teacher, WHAT is with the garbage food taped to the wall ? It's not healthy for kids to eat that junk, right ? A is for apple, B is for banana, C is for celery.....get my drift ?"

Maybe this teacher didn't put it up and will take it down if you complain. Or maybe it's for lessons about what NOT to eat ?? Maybe you could open the conversation with that assumption....hey I'm so glad you are teaching the kids an alphabet of foods that have no value ! WTG ! So is there a game to go along with this where they have to come up with something healthy for each letter ?

If this teacher did put it up and it's not for a nutrition lesson, but promoting eating that garbage, she deserves an earful. If that is in fact the case, if it doesn't come down, I would go to the principal, then on up the "food chain".

Edited by laundrycrisis

I'll go against the grain here and say to save your battles for bigger issues. I wouldn't be thrilled about such a display either--we are VERY health-conscious in our home and my kids have both been required to study/learn about the nutritional defects in fast food. However, I would be leery of complaining first thing in the year about something that is not a moral issue. I would be more inclined to work on a really, really friendly relationship with the teacher for future, bigger issues should they arise.

Here's a thought. Maybe she was trying to incorporate kids' real-world reading / recognized symbols into the classroom. Right or wrong, most kids (even crunchy moms' kids) recognize fast food logos and such, so that is a common place to start for kids who don't have any other reading knowledge. Also, obviously the logos are effective at drawing kids' attention, so that would get the kids looking up the letters more often.

I am crunchy too, and we don't watch TV, so my kids would probably be clueless about half of those symbols - but the kids who need literacy help the most will probably be all over that chart.

Bottom line, it's just a series of pictures. It's not going to cause a local obesity epidemic. I would roll my eyes but otherwise keep my opinion to myself.

I'll go against the grain here and say to save your battles for bigger issues. I wouldn't be thrilled about such a display either--we are VERY health-conscious in our home and my kids have both been required to study/learn about the nutritional defects in fast food. However, I would be leery of complaining first thing in the year about something that is not a moral issue. I would be more inclined to work on a really, really friendly relationship with the teacher for future, bigger issues should they arise.

:iagree:

Here's a thought. Maybe she was trying to incorporate kids' real-world reading / recognized symbols into the classroom. Right or wrong, most kids (even crunchy moms' kids) recognize fast food logos and such, so that is a common place to start for kids who don't have any other reading knowledge. Also, obviously the logos are effective at drawing kids' attention, so that would get the kids looking up the letters more often.

I am crunchy too, and we don't watch TV, so my kids would probably be clueless about half of those symbols - but the kids who need literacy help the most will probably be all over that chart.

Bottom line, it's just a series of pictures. It's not going to cause a local obesity epidemic. I would roll my eyes but otherwise keep my opinion to myself.

Yup. She's trying and it's not horribly wrong, just a little annoying. Let it go. Give her a break. Look for ways to help and support her instead.

You could also volunteer to bring in a healthier or non-food picture for each letter, to go above the garbage food picture, and stick them to the wall for her :001_smile:

I like this one. While I understand choosing your battles, in this case it would be easy for you to be an advocate for the other students, too. At a rate of 25 or so kids a year (or double if she has a.m. and p.m. classes), just think of how many kids have already gotten the wrong idea from the junk food alphabet.

Maybe she'll think this is a great idea (not sure how she couldn't). Worst case scenario, she may label you as a pushy granola parent or something, but it's principle we're talking about here. Sometimes you just gotta be a little pushy. ;)

:iagree::grouphug:

:iagree:Wise advice.