Menu

S/O substitutions for swearing

after the other thread I began trying to think how many phrases we use, (DH and I), that are at their core substitutions. I was shocked at how many we have!

Crud

Shoot

heck

What the

Son of a biscuit

Oh my stars

Oh my heavens

Shut the front door

Gosh

Gee

Frickin'

Stinkin'

Heck to the no

Fudge

Freak

Frackin'

Freakin'

Darn

Dang

Kiss it

Kiss my grits

Heck no

Witch

Are there any good ones we are missing out on? :tongue_smilie:

I'd tell y'all to say "bless my heart", but we all know that is a sweet southern euphemism for "kiss my @%% and go to &*##." :D

I use lots of those.

I like frickin-frackin combined as a sweet, percussive duo that rolls ever-so-pleasantly off the tongue.

Crying out loud!

For cryin' in the pee-bucket! (Ummm, that was my dad's, but I've stolen it.)

Stink!

Crapola.

Gosh dern dagnabit. (Just when I'm channeling a country bumpkin from the 1920s. :D

And for name calling:

Little stinker.

Turkey.

Poo-head and poopy-head also make me feel much better.

We watch far too much Phineas and Ferb in this house so anyone who does anything moronic is called a doofenshmirtz. I really try not to cuss and rarely do, so I end up making up random words...it's certainly lightens the mood more than spouting off a cuss word.

my brother made up a word as a teen since our parents were so anti-swearing and even euphemisms were not ok.

He totally cracked up when he heard my oldest daughter use "his" made up word.

"Consarn it!"

See this is why I just use the proper words. Too much time and energy in translating. :tongue_smilie:

What's funny is DH and I do use the proper words on occasion. The substitutions are for minor moments, or when DH is trying to self-edit in front of the little kids. The kids use lots of them as well, and, I'm not gonna lie, I LMAO every time the 4 year old says "heck to the no"! :tongue_smilie:

I remember at my VERY Christian school, reading a book that kept saying, "Gee whiz."

My dear sweet 4th grade teacher made us skip that and say, "Goodness" while we were reading.

We thought it was so funny when some of the kids couldn't do that and would read it out loud without stopping themselves.

There were about 4 of us in the class who were fast readers and could think while we read so she quickly asked one of us to read those sections! :lol:

She equated Gee with being short for Jesus, used not as our savior. :tongue_smilie:

Well, because I love words, I like to try to come up with a brand-new expression whenever possible. :D Just yesterday, I used, "...there is no way in Timbukto..." and I recently coined, "What the hark?" :D "Carp" and "Oh my Bob!" are expressions I've snatched from these boards. I like them very much.

I don't really understand those who ban euphemisms along with actual swear words. How unexpressively dull!

I knew a boy when I was a teen who, when he got frustrated with someone or they cut him off in traffic, would say, "Oh, go read your Bible!" :lol:

I've been wondering for a long time now: what, specifically, makes a word "bad"? How did words come to be seen as "bad" and unacceptable for usage?

In most other cultures that I know of, "cursing" is more like what we read about from ancient times: placing a curse on someone. People in other cultures may "curse" you by wishing ill on your mother or all the generations of your decendents. Here, we just throw out random words or phrases that are considered "bad," instead of actually laying a curse on someone (generally).... How did these get substituted for cursing?

And why do we fall out (is that a substitute, I wonder?) over someone saying something like "sh--", but they can use another, acceptable form of that word (which will vary, from person to person, by the way) and we won't be upset? I'm thinking of terms like bowel movement, poo, poop, etc.

Similarly, why can we say a "horrible" thing like "f---," but if we shouted "intercourse" we'd just get odd looks because people wouldn't know why we were shouting that word randomly, but they wouldn't likely be offended by it, either...?

I wonder if it's something about the sounds that are present in those words that has caused them to be considered "bad"? I wonder if gutteral sounds, for instance, are considered harsh and are generally not preferred, so words that include a lot of them get branded...? I don't know, I'm just wonderin'....

It's all culturally based. Some people see nothing wrong with cussing, I unfortunately saw that too much when I volunteering to help little one's read at our local elementary school. And I see it even with older kids, eventually though some of them figure it out. In some social circles though they won't even wince if someone yells out the F word which is so sad to me.