Menu

Can someone reccommend a good Chemistry curriculum?

I have heard that Apologia is good, but their chemistry curriculum doesn't seem to match up with high school level curriculum. I want to become a nurse and I need a SOLID foundation in chemistry to be able to get through college, and I am not the best at chemistry lol. I would really love to know which ones are the best for students who teach themselves because I don't have a teacher to teach me.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! (and quickly please!):bigear:

Spectrum Chemistry is good. It has a lot of labs. It is, however, fairly expensive.

I have heard of Spectrum Chemistry, do you know the price?

My dd is using BJU Chemistry with the dvds. Mr. Harmon is the teacher and does a great job, IMHO. I am learning along with my daughter! :)

BJU, is this really expensive? I can't afford a lot of the nice chemistry curriculums because they are quite pricey, but if BJU can get me into college, then I will try it!

We are using Chang, General Chemistry (you can get a used copy very cheap).

This is the text Chemadvantage used for their honors chem class, which unfortunately no longer exists.

There are resources on the web for this book, here is a very nice site of a class that uses the text:

http://www.doctortang.com/Honour%20Chemistry/units.htm

If you search the web, you will find other schools that use the text and have information available.

We are using Labpaq for the labs.

BJU, is this really expensive? I can't afford a lot of the nice chemistry curriculums because they are quite pricey, but if BJU can get me into college, then I will try it!

The on-line option with the books is $349. I think it's $299 w/o the books. I have an extra book if you need one.

I really liked the DIVE cd for Chemistry, which we used along with both of the Apologia texts. The labs are on the cd so if you can't physically do all of them you can still watch and learn. I think the cd is around $50 and the texts should be available used somewhere. The author/lecturer has syllabi for several texts, so you don't have to use the Apologia texts if you don't want to. This was great preparation for AP chemistry using the Chang book. Good luck!

Blessings,

April

I have heard of Spectrum Chemistry, do you know the price?

http://beginningspublishing.com/oscommerce/catalog/index.php?cPath=30&osCsid=4ce9aa01fb01eebddbfb6757d499f287

The complete set runs $316, but you don't have to piece anything together that way -- lab equipment, consumable supplies, textbook, lab manual, and teacher book.

Julie

I really liked the DIVE cd for Chemistry, which we used along with both of the Apologia texts. The labs are on the cd so if you can't physically do all of them you can still watch and learn. I think the cd is around $50 and the texts should be available used somewhere. The author/lecturer has syllabi for several texts, so you don't have to use the Apologia texts if you don't want to. This was great preparation for AP chemistry using the Chang book. Good luck!

Blessings,

April

I might be doing this as it will be more in my budget range and I will be able to find the boks used, so if I can I could get everything for maybe $150! Then I will go onto either Spectrum or Chang for AP Chemistry.

Thnak you all for the great reccommendations!

Can someone please compare Conceptual Chemistry to Spectrum in terms of difficulty and time required. I understand that Spectrum is lab based and Conceptual Chemistry is not.

I am trying to get a feel for whether ds could handle Spectrum specifically. He will be in 7th, but have enough math (AoPS algebra) and the ability to work with a science text (Tarbuck Earth Science (college level)). He will have about 4 hours per week to spend on Science (I could possibly bump it to 6 if I have to). Is Spectrum at all reasonable?

hopefully I am not hijacking the thread....

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

Can someone please compare Conceptual Chemistry to Spectrum in terms of difficulty and time required. I understand that Spectrum is lab based and Conceptual Chemistry is not.

I am trying to get a feel for whether ds could handle Spectrum specifically. He will be in 7th, but have enough math (AoPS algebra) and the ability to work with a science text (Tarbuck Earth Science (college level)). He will have about 4 hours per week to spend on Science (I could possibly bump it to 6 if I have to). Is Spectrum at all reasonable?

hopefully I am not hijacking the thread....

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

Sounds like it would work. Usually, reading the book and doing the exercises takes 1-2hrs a week and the experiment takes about 2 hrs, including the write up. We have been watching the Khan Academy chemistry videos, but you certainly would not have to watch them.

I do wish I had the money to do Spectrum Chemistry, it does sound really good but I have to do what I can afford which is the Dive CD and Apologia Chemistry. Hopefully next year I will be able to try Spectrum Chemistry, if not then I will look for a cheaper program because next year is AP Chem for me.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

and is taking College Chemistry. She used Apologia Chemistry two years ago, and I thought that would be sufficient. It was not! You also need to be through Pre Cal at least in Math. She is having to drop her Chemistry course before she fails it, and will be changing her major since that Chemistry class was a Prereq. to most of the other PreNursing courses.

She will probably just pursue being a midwife, and sticking to her Liberal Arts degree that will be useless.

I really thought she would do fine in Chemistry, but we learned the hard way.

I will say that several of my friends who teach Chemistry in a Co-op setting said that they prefer Apologia because it is simpler to teach. One teacher said she prefers BJU if the kid is going to be a math/science/tech major though.

HTH>

and is taking College Chemistry. She used Apologia Chemistry two years ago, and I thought that would be sufficient. It was not! You also need to be through Pre Cal at least in Math. She is having to drop her Chemistry course before she fails it, and will be changing her major since that Chemistry class was a Prereq. to most of the other PreNursing courses.

She will probably just pursue being a midwife, and sticking to her Liberal Arts degree that will be useless.

I will say that several of my friends who teach Chemistry in a Co-op setting said that they prefer Apologia because it is simpler to teach. One teacher said she prefers BJU if the kid is going to be a math/science/tech major though.

HTH>

Wow I had no clue! I think I will go with BJU Chemistry or something like that then just so I won't have to drop my chem course in college like she had to. I am so sorry this happened to you and your daughter. But I thought being a midwife you had to have your RN and then continue on to midwife?

Maybe not I am not so sure lol.

Wow I had no clue! I think I will go with BJU Chemistry or something like that then just so I won't have to drop my chem course in college like she had to.

I think your plan sounds good. I just wanted to mention, though, that focusing on the "foundations" of chemistry are more important than going thru all of an advanced chemistry in high school -- at least at my house with my kids (and with me).

Being comfortable with math (not intimidated by long equations, move terms around equations with ease, really get why the distributive properties work, really know what parts of a long equation are going to be positive vs. negative) and familiar with & interested in the elements & their arrangement on the periodic table and the details of chemistry, for us, makes any of the higher level stuff approachable. Those things make the chemistry class go from a Charlie Brown teacher saying "wah wah wah" to a class where we're hearing and interested and getting it. So I try to be very careful to build the strong foundation.

Just what works at our house,

Julie

HTH>

How sad! I have a friend in her 40's the just went back to nursing school and finished. The reason she changed her major back when she was in college the first time was... chemistry. It was very hard to go back later, but she always felt that was what she was supposed to do originally. Why not take some of the other courses that may help and then try that one again? Even a different teacher can make a difference AND there's always tutoring (most colleges offer) that can get you through a hard course. i hate to see her give up her dreams.

I think your plan sounds good. I just wanted to mention, though, that focusing on the "foundations" of chemistry are more important than going thru all of an advanced chemistry in high school -- at least at my house with my kids (and with me).

Being comfortable with math (not intimidated by long equations, move terms around equations with ease, really get why the distributive properties work, really know what parts of a long equation are going to be positive vs. negative) and familiar with & interested in the elements & their arrangement on the periodic table and the details of chemistry, for us, makes any of the higher level stuff approachable. Those things make the chemistry class go from a Charlie Brown teacher saying "wah wah wah" to a class where we're hearing and interested and getting it. So I try to be very careful to build the strong foundation.

Just what works at our house,

Julie

Thank you Julie, this seems to make a lot of sense and I should really be doing this too, especially with all of the chemistry that I will have to take in college. Does BJU cover enough? Or can I do Apologia along with DIVE, I want to learn everything I can in Chemistry.

Thank you Julie, this seems to make a lot of sense and I should really be doing this too, especially with all of the chemistry that I will have to take in college. Does BJU cover enough? Or can I do Apologia along with DIVE, I want to learn everything I can in Chemistry.

I would get a used BJU book and the DIVE CD. You will have a complete chemistry course that way. DIVE will give you practice problems and labs, so you won't need the BJU Activity manual and lab manual. Buying the BJU book (especially used) to go with DIVE will be just as affordable as using Apologia with DIVE, but I think you will be more prepared for college chem.

I would get a used BJU book and the DIVE CD. You will have a complete chemistry course that way. DIVE will give you practice problems and labs, so you won't need the BJU Activity manual and lab manual. Buying the BJU book (especially used) to go with DIVE will be just as affordable as using Apologia with DIVE, but I think you will be more prepared for college chem.

Thank you Momto2Ns, I really appreciate this as it willbe my most affordable option, and I hate being on a strict budget but if this will better prepare me for college then I will have to do this. I will buy the used BJU book and the DIVE CD, an dmay I ask if you have done this? It sounded like you have.:bigear:

Guest thanneaKS

An alternative, if you have a community college available, would be to take General Chem there. The only pre-req would be Algebra 2. It generally is a 4 or 5hr class. It is very difficult to replicate the labs in the home setting. My younger two took all of their lab science at the community college during their junior or senior year. Some waive tuition for high schoolers if you dually enroll through the public high school.

Don't worry too much at this point. You just need enough chem in high school to be able to get through college chemistry with a decent grade. My dd is a NNP and she had no trouble going from homeschool to a 4-year nursing program. It's a wonderful career.

No, I haven't done it. I've used 3 years of BJU science and used DIVE Integrated Physics and Chem. so I'm familiar with both. I also have a science degree, so I feel reasonably competent to evaluate high school science programs.

I may use that same combination for my dd when she gets to high school. She is interested in a career in a medically related field. My oldest will be doing Chem next year and he'll do something easier because he is a computer guy, not a science guy.

No, I haven't done it. I've used 3 years of BJU science and used DIVE Integrated Physics and Chem. so I'm familiar with both. I also have a science degree, so I feel reasonably competent to evaluate high school science programs.

I may use that same combination for my dd when she gets to high school. She is interested in a career in a medically related field. My oldest will be doing Chem next year and he'll do something easier because he is a computer guy, not a science guy.

Well I am glad it worked out, and I thank you for your advice, I think this is what I will be doing!

Sounds like you have it worked out, but I just wanted to add that we used Conceptual Chemistry last year and really liked it. There are lots of online resources with it, including little video experiments. Here is the website, although I don't know if you can access much of it without the teacher's code (which you get, even as a homeschooler).

http://www.conceptualchemistry.com/