Menu

Cat urinary food question

Our male cat came home today from the vet after having a major urinary blockage. They sell Hill's Prescription Diet food there, but we didn't buy it. I wanted to do some research first. I know that most brands sell urinary health products, but I don't know if one is superior or if they are basically the same.

Just quick research shows that people are quite adamant about a particular food, but that food differs on who you ask. I also have a female cat and they've eaten together for the past 5 years, so I'd like a food that wouldn't harm her. They both eat dry and wet, so we'd be getting both, unless one or the other is fine. I really want to try and prevent another blockage. Any advice or recommendations?

Regardless of what food you choose, keep watching your cat closely. I had a cat who had blockages like that & they ended up happening repeatedly. Eventually, he ended up having surgery that gave him plumbing more like a female (much less likely to get blockages). After that, he had no troubles (at least related to urinary tract issues).

I am having a tired moment but there is a powder that you put on the food to prevent this. Some type of vitamin. Let me see if I can remember what it was as it was about 5 yrs or so since I needed to know this.

Also, make sure the food is grain free and wet. If the cat doesn't like canned, add water to the cat's favorite dry food.

Edited by itsheresomewhere

Regardless of what food you choose, keep watching your cat closely. I had a cat who had blockages like that & they ended up happening repeatedly. Eventually, he ended up having surgery that gave him plumbing more like a female (much less likely to get blockages). After that, he had no troubles (at least related to urinary tract issues).

Our cat had the same surgery after blocking twice. It was life or death for him so we did it. He has been on Royal Canin Urinary SO diet. It's a dry diet and he has been fine with it. The only time he had an infection was when I switched the Blue diet that I thought would work and cost less. He was urinating blood within days. I have all the cats on this diet. It is all they get. With all males, hopefully this will help prevent other emergencies. It does have a lot of sodium in the diet so that encourages them to drink a lot. I have water bowls placed in different places to make sure that there is always some available. Of course, they like the sinks and tub too. They do urinate more and they have less bowel movements with this food, rather then cheap food.

Hope he feels better.

Our cat had the same surgery. He had infections before the surgery and he ate one of the Hill's Rx foods (s/d maybe?). After he had surgery, they sent away his stones for analysis to see what kind of minerals they were. After that, he ate Hill's x/d. Ridiculously expensive and they only sell it in 4lb bags :glare: but it was cheaper than repeated vet visits and better than him being sick.

I am having a tired moment but there is a powder that you put on the food to prevent this. Some type of vitamin. Let me see if I can remember what it was as it was about 5 yrs or so since I needed to know this.

Also, make sure the food is grain free and wet. If the cat doesn't like canned, add water to the cat's favorite dry food.

I think it is Cosequin. At least that is what we had to give our cat for a while.

Ok, I'm a Certified Veterinary Technician and I've done TONS of research on this. And honestly, your cats will make the choice. Ask if you can have samples of some of them, and let the cats pick which one they will eat. If they won't give you samples (my clinic has open bags in the back and we just put some in a ziplock for people) then you have to try one at a time until you find what they will eat. Luckily they all have a money back promise, so you won't be out tons of money. If I had to pick which is the most liked, and the best at working, I'd say Royal Canin S/O. But, it is higher sodium, so if either of your cats are senior citizens I would try Hills c/d instead, as it is easier on the kidneys of old cats. Purina UR is also good, but probably the least favorite of the cats I know. However, there are always a few that will ONLY eat that one. It might be the cheapest too...so you might want to start there.

Good luck!

I have had a total of five males cats. One of them had serious problems with unrinary blockages and our vet told us to change to a healthy urinary tract diet. This was several years ago and I picked Purina One Special Care Uninary Tract Formula because it was readily available in regular stores and not terribly expensive. A few years after that I tried to change them to a grain free healthier alternative but none of my cats will eat anything else. I tried very hard to wean them to a new food and I lost one of the cats in the process to liver failure. He refused to eat at all the vet said that could have contributed to his condition. So now I just let them eat what they will and they all seem to be doing fine. The youngest one is problem a little but overweight but I think that is because he eats more than his fair share of food.

First, wet is best. Get one with no grain. Second, get a cat water fountain to encourage drinking. Mine drink out of the tub... which is somewhat the same. I would also buy purified water (not spring)....for them. I think there are things to add to the water... (a bit at a time), too... but don't remember exactly. All my animals jump in the tub to drink water, but most people wouldn't be on call 24/7 for water hand outs :)

We were warned that he is susceptible. At this point I don't think I'm interested in leaving the house again. :tongue_smilie: It's funny watching my 13 yo scoop the litter every few hours.

The cats split a 6 oz. can in the morning and a 6 oz. can at night. They free feed dry all day, but he's the one that really eats it. She only nibbles occasionally.

My male cat had lots of urinary problems, but has been fine since switching him to canned food. I didn't realize how important wet food is for cat health. There is great information here.

I may see if this is something he can transition to. I think we originally bought the dry because he was overly skinny when he was younger and I wanted him to be able to eat something all day. My female cat would be perfectly content with just wet.

Ok, I'm a Certified Veterinary Technician and I've done TONS of research on this. And honestly, your cats will make the choice. Ask if you can have samples of some of them, and let the cats pick which one they will eat. If they won't give you samples (my clinic has open bags in the back and we just put some in a ziplock for people) then you have to try one at a time until you find what they will eat. Luckily they all have a money back promise, so you won't be out tons of money. If I had to pick which is the most liked, and the best at working, I'd say Royal Canin S/O. But, it is higher sodium, so if either of your cats are senior citizens I would try Hills c/d instead, as it is easier on the kidneys of old cats. Purina UR is also good, but probably the least favorite of the cats I know. However, there are always a few that will ONLY eat that one. It might be the cheapest too...so you might want to start there.

Good luck!

Thanks. That's two votes for Royal Canin S/O. He's 5. i don't know when cats are considered senior. I think we will go get a couple of cans of some different brands to try out.

Oh, and yes, the more canned versus dry the better. Also, encourage drinking. A lot of cats like those automated fountains that circulate the water, and will drink more that way.

We were actually talking about this earlier today. I know my cousin's cats like their fountain.

First, wet is best. Get one with no grain. Second, get a cat water fountain to encourage drinking. Mine drink out of the tub... which is somewhat the same. I would also buy purified water (not spring)....for them. I think there are things to add to the water... (a bit at a time), too... but don't remember exactly. All my animals jump in the tub to drink water, but most people wouldn't be on call 24/7 for water hand outs :)

DH is positively harassed in the morning when he brushes his teeth. Our female cat watches you take a shower so that she can jump in after you're done.

One of our neutered male cats was blocked last spring. We've been providing more wet food and using 1 ml. Uromaxx and, knock on wood, he's had no further problems.

The vet actually mentioned Glucosamine today. He said you can put it on the dry food. I've also read a lot about cranberry today. People are swearing by it on various forums.