Menu

New to First Grade... feeling like I'm not doing enough

NikkiMarieLG

I am using the McRuffy phonics along with Explode the Code, Right Start Math, SOTW, Writing with Ease. We do CC one day, a FIAR co-op another day and piano, soccer and swim team. I just feel like we are flying through everything (except for the CC grammar work - infinitives at age 6?). Should I be doing First Language lessons for this year or can it wait until second grade?

Panicked because I am homeschooling in the face of protest from EVERYONE. I did homeschool my DS (19) for freshman year and it was CAKE compared to first grade!:chillpill:

If you feel like you and dd are not overwhelmed and you have time to add your FLL, then why not? How about science? Is that covered in the FIAR co-op?

Other than that, I would say enjoy the fact that your school fits around your life. It was like that for us for K and maybe 1st with my oldest. But those days are long gone now as the workload increases :) I miss those days!

Sorry you are getting flack. It sounds to me like you guys are doing a lot and your child is getting a well rounded education and social opportunities. But you can't please everyone.

We're not spending that long either. We do some FLL, but that takes all of five or ten minutes. I have her write down a sentence or copy something. We read a Science book (animals for the first 20 weeks of school) on Tue/Thurs and she listens to me read from SOTW 2 to the elders. She'll do 4 pages of Math Mammoth, Spelling Workout A, Printing, plus some Arabic and Islamic Studies that I do with all 3 kids.

I think you're doing fine. Oh yes, she does read about half an hour at least a day during school.

Sounds great to me! My 1st grader doesn't get nearly that much attention because she has older siblings that tend to require my time as well. Enjoy 1st grade. Kids learn ALL the time especially when they are not being taught. I know that we don't really get to business until the weather becomes more fallish anyway.:D

We are also in 1st grade and you are definitely doing enough!

It just seems like you are flying through things because you are working one on one, not with 25 other kids! So everything goes faster and smoother. A 1 hour public school math lesson may only take 10-15 minutes in a homeschool setting (for example).

It sounds fine to me. If it's any help, here's what my first grader is doing:

English -- reading books, copywork and dictation each 1x per week, Evan-Moor Daily Six-Trait Writing (2nd Grade). No grammar or spelling.

Math -- Math Mammoth, fact practice, one problem a day drawn from MEP.

Science -- Kind of incidental. We do Lego robotics, science kits, museum trips, and videos.

Social Studies -- SOTW 1, other related books, some mapwork and activities. We also watch a German children's news broadcast, which provides an opportunity to discuss current events.

German -- Saturday school, reading books, copywork and dictation 1x per week each, some other stuff. This is where we have been studying penmanship, but we are essentially done studying letter formation in print and cursive, so from now on she'll just be practicing penmanship during copywork.

Music -- My husband teaches her piano once a week. We sing German songs during our morning circle time.

Art -- She likes to draw; we go to art museums. Sometimes we do programs at art museums. Every now and again, we do an actual art lesson together.

PE -- Things are a little nuts this semester on the PE front; she's doing four separate classes/sports. I didn't exactly mean for that to happen...

Anyway, I think we are doing plenty, and it looks to me like you are, too. We have the study of German fairly heavily integrated into our curriculum, but I can't imagine we would be doing that if it weren't an important part of our family culture.

Anyway,

Looks good to me and trust me she is getting more out of her day in learning than she would be at school. You are dealing with her- not 25 or so kids. We moved to HS this year and we start an hour later then the ps does and end about 1.5 to 2 hours before they get out- we don't have to deal the transitions and all that! Anyway just looked like maybe science and maybe you could always add in lifeskills- sewing, baking, etc.??