Menu

Crickets singing...hmpf.

Well, we are entering week two.

Not a single phone call or note to come help with PTA, grants, classroom or the promised intro's of networks at the school.

Ya, ya..sing me the song of parental involvement needed. Blah.

I sent in notes to the teacher in her folder today to read and communicate with me on different things I'd like her support with.

Will she respond?

Or will it be more cricket songs?

Is anyone else out there getting a chance to help out or work with the school or classroom?

Heidi, I don't even know how I ended up viewing what I did last night..I honestly was searching for math videos on youtube.

Did you know there is a whole world of kids out there that take their cell phones to school and use the video function on the phone to record their teachers having emotional/violent outbursts in class?

It was really upsetting stuff to view.

And then I sat there thinking..."Is this a piece of technology I'm going to want to offer to the kid when she gets into the upper grades?"

What happens to those teachers? Anything?

You'd mentioned the "issues" of violence concerns and realms of power in the schools. I *get* it...I understand it.

Maybe they don't want parents in the schools because we present a behavioral or unknown risk? What do you think?

Why do they say they want us involved but act completely the other way? Just because it's a politically correct thing to state or what?

In our school parents are more than welcome. There is at least a one parent volunteer in the classroom every day in addition to a teacher and a teacher's assistant. In fact I spent this past Thursday and Friday in my son's classroom helping out (K).

There were two of us and the teacher kept sending us one kid at a time so we could sit with kids individually and help them with reading and writing. Through PTO, parent volunteers also run an Art program where kids learn about famous artists as well as paint all sorts of wonderful things. PTO funds the arts program as well as all the field trips.

Next Friday I will be helping out in my first grader's classroom.

Hopefully you will get some responses.

when my kids were in public school volunteering in the class was welcomed. a few teachers wanted to wait til after the first 2 weeks or so. i volunteered a lot and enjoyed the experience.

what did vary greatly was how much info got sent home. the wonderful teachers (who were the majority) sent home newsletters, talked to parents at pick up and drop off, sent home examples of work throughout the year, etc. A couple of teachers, who were my least favorite, didn't do much communicating, since it wasn't required.

I know I have to go into the school on Thursday or Friday and meet with the school nurse there..just some follow-up/informing after our visit in Seattle.

I talked a bit about my discouragement at home, darling agrees, "They don't want you there, it is pretty obvious."

I'll be absolutely amazed if I get a communication back from a note I sent in with her today.

Earlier last week, she brought home some math papers on Monday which she bombed on coordinate planes. We talked about them, what wasn't she understanding? Did the teacher correct her paper so she could understand it?

She answered no. I printed up new worksheets and went over them. I don't know what it was that was stumping her so much. Everyday we practiced them at home, by Sunday it snapped for her, she has it nailed. That was a toughie.

So the note I sent in today was about that. I really track her skills, and although it might be unusual to do so..I'm curious to see if this sort of support at home even matters out there.

If you were to try to communicate with the school on a small area of skill like that, how would you try to do it? Just let it build up and cover it at conference or as it comes up?

when my kids were in public school volunteering in the class was welcomed. a few teachers wanted to wait til after the first 2 weeks or so. i volunteered a lot and enjoyed the experience.

what did vary greatly was how much info got sent home. the wonderful teachers (who were the majority) sent home newsletters, talked to parents at pick up and drop off, sent home examples of work throughout the year, etc. A couple of teachers, who were my least favorite, didn't do much communicating, since it wasn't required.

Yes, that's basically our experience. We get weekly e-mails one from the teacher and one from the principle. The teacher's e-mail is very detailed. It even lists all the books they read during the week.

Well, we are entering week two.

Not a single phone call or note to come help with PTA, grants, classroom or the promised intro's of networks at the school.

Ya, ya..sing me the song of parental involvement needed. Blah.

I sent in notes to the teacher in her folder today to read and communicate with me on different things I'd like her support with.

Will she respond?

Or will it be more cricket songs?

Is anyone else out there getting a chance to help out or work with the school or classroom?

When I read the title, I thought you meant, literally, crickets singing. :lol: My friend has crickets in her basement & it's driving everyone batty.

It's been my experience that teachers wait a couple weeks before bringing in the volunteers. I have yet to see a teacher turn down a volunteer. Do they background check all volunteers? That could take even longer! You could try calling the librarian or front office at the school to see if they need help. At least it gets you into the school sooner.

With the PTA, it can take a while for them to sift through all the paperwork before contacting volunteers. If you have the phone number of someone in charge of the PTA, you could call & offer your assistance immediately. I'm sure they'd love the help!

As to the kids with the cell phones, in the schools my kids have been in & are currently in, the phones are immediately confiscated if they are seen or heard during school hours. On the second offense, a parent needs to come to the school to pick up the phone. However, I know not all schools are this strict.

We have had opportunities to sign up for volunteering at registration in August, again the Back to School Night the 3rd day of school. For DD'S kindergarten, helping with reading/math/science small group "centers" starts in October. Sign-ups also filled up for the class for Room Mom (& 2 assistants), and a few other roles such as Recycling coordinator. There seems to be many opportunities for both in the classroom and more administrative roles. We'll see what happens next month!

Last year at my dd's school nothing happened until the 3rd week of school in terms of communication with the parents about volunteering in the classroom, PTA, etc.

After that, the flood gates opened. The staff and PTA at the school couldn't wait to have me help. Maybe they just haven't gotten their act together yet?

And it might end up being just that and I'll be singing a whole different tune in a month. I'm cool with saying I'm impatient.

I think I'm mostly this way because of the last two years and have some cynical rust in my thoughts.

I gotta tell ya, it's hard staying positive though.

I think I have beaten-dog syndrome...if you know what I mean.

I've heard from PS friends in our district that parent volunteers are welcome for grades K-2, and tolerated in some classrooms for grade 3, but by grade 4 they "cut the cord" and parents are not allowed. The district says it is because they have to prep students for middle school, but I wonder what exactly they are prepping them for that requires disengaging parents?

It's different here too. Dd was previously in a super small Catholic school so there was really nothing left to wonder about. Now in a ps it's all more formalized with newsletters - but already plenty of requests for help. I emailed the teacher last Friday and she called me back that evening to chat. My son's preschool is crazy with quick and efficient communication. I believe it's all a district goal.

Well, papers sent in asking questions were not returned. Pfft.

I did get some communication today though...

I called the school bus department to let them know that a young fella was giving me and another mom the finger as they pulled away this morning...just as a "heads up" kinda thing..lol

Bus driver brought the young one to the front and made him apologize face to face with me and Mom #2.

So, ya..a little bit today...I'll take what I can get? lol

We'll see.

At my kids' school--

Kindergarten there is at least one parent volunteer in the classroom every day. Same with first and second grades. By third and fourth grades, it seems that parents are in the classroom maybe three days a week. Fifth grade seems to have a parent in the room one day a week and then several big days where they need lots of volunteers at once--like the Civil War battle re-enactment, Where are your ancestors from day, etc. Those seem to happen about every two to three weeks.

Then there are volunteers outside the classrooms--media center, copy room (works like a Kinkos for he teachers so they can use their planning for things other than copying), greeter to meet every person who walks into the building, etc.

Parents are encouraged to eat lunch with their kids.

We have a book study group for parents. Last year we read Parenting with Love and Logic.

Parents are encouraged to visit all the time.

Just out of curiosity, when was the teacher supposed to answer your questions? During her 20 minute lunch? During her planning which is likely taken up by meetings? Give her a day or two. She is busy teaching children all day.

Well, papers sent in asking questions were not returned. Pfft.

I did get some communication today though...

I called the school bus department to let them know that a young fella was giving me and another mom the finger as they pulled away this morning...just as a "heads up" kinda thing..lol

Bus driver brought the young one to the front and made him apologize face to face with me and Mom #2.

So, ya..a little bit today...I'll take what I can get? lol

We'll see.

I'm going in there in a couple days anyway, I'll catch up with her then if I can. We are supposed to have a password to the math site that matches their workbooks at school.

It never came home, and I have no idea how to log in there. I can't mark it off her homework sheet if I don't have it ya know?

As a teacher, give it more time. It's really crazy the first few weeks of school, just getting to know the students, completing baseline assessments, training the paid classroom aides, etc. Even if there are things you could help with, the teacher may not have had time to organize it or figure out which things parents can assist with. Trust me, I'm sure the teacher will reach out, enjoy the down time....probably the first month or so.