Menu

XPost: Best Shakespeare movie

I know I've seen threads on particular versions of the plays, but couldn't find it.

Could anyone recommend your FAVORITE versions of:

Romeo and Juliet

Taming of the Shrew

Hamlet

Merchant of Venice

The Tempest

And any others 14 and 17 year old girls would be likely to enjoy.

(By favorite, I don't necessarily mean truest to the text, but nothing veering off towards Monty Python. The version that will have them liking Shakespeare.)

Romeo and Juliet-Zeffireli

Taming of the Shrew-10 Things I Hate About You (modern adaptation)

Hamlet-Branagh

Merchant of Venice-the Jeremy Irons/Al Pacino one

The Tempest-there is a fairly new one with Helen Mirren, I haven't seen it, but it is worth a shot.

Branagh's versions of Henry V and Much Ado About Nothing. The Midsummer Night's Dream with Kevin Kline. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is a different take on Hamlet.

I totally agree with Mrs Mungo and Taming of the Shrew (10 Things I Hate About You). For Romeo and Juliet, I adore the Leonardo DiCaprio version that was released in the 90s. I just watched it the other night while breaking out the sewing machine after the kids went to bed. :)

Ohhh, it also appears that there is another Romeo and Juliet coming out in 2012 with Holly Hunter and Ed Westwick. Nice!!

Edited by lilbean05
Another version of R and J!

I know I've seen threads on particular versions of the plays, but couldn't find it.

Romeo and Juliet

***Franco Zeffirelli, starring Olivia Hussey

Taming of the Shrew

***Marc Singer and Fredi Olsen -- a fabulous production that uses commedia dell'arte as its inspiration. Fast-paced and hysterical.

Hamlet

****Branagh

Merchant of Venice

****Henry Goodman, Derbhle Crotty. AWESOME.

The Tempest

Always an uneven play. DO NOTNOTNOTNOT watch the BBC filmed play with the Ariel that looks like the Oscar award. It is laughable.

(By favorite, I don't necessarily mean truest to the text, but nothing veering off towards Monty Python. The version that will have them liking Shakespeare.)

Our favorites:

Romeo and Juliet- I like the Zeferrelli version the best but the one with DiCaprio in it is definitely interesting.

Hamlet- I love the Mel Gibson version

Othello- The Laurence Fishburne/Kenneth Branagh version is awesome! "O" is good too but I miss the language of Shakespeare in that one.

Much Ado About Nothing with Branagh is excellent as well (Michael Keaton is hilarious)

We really enjoyed the version of Hamlet with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart---very well done and interesting take on the role of Hamlet. My daughter loved this one as well (doesn't hurt that she's a huge Dr. Who fan ;))

Taming of the Shrew---it's older, but we liked Kiss Me Kate. I was particularly interested that it had one of the first filmed choreography sequences by Bob Fosse.

Romeo and Juliet---I personally disliked the DiCaprio version, but haven't tried it on my daughter yet.