Menu

1st Grader - What are you using?

Hottater

I have a DS who has been doing copy work sentences for writing, using A reason for handwriting, and we didn't do any spelling or story writing in K. So, I need help with what i am missing for this coming year.

My projected grade 1(.5) materials:

Math- singapore 1B, MUS end of alpha and beginning beta

English- First language lessons

Reading - Ordinary parents guide to teaching L 115, Abeka readers, and Mo willem books, Dr. Seuss books, bob books, Read alouds - konos vol 1 suggestions

Spelling - Spelling workout A

Writing/Penmanship - A reason for Handwriting, transition Book

Art- Artistic Pursuits (k-3) book 2, konos vol 1

History- Mystery of History vol 2, konos vol 1

Music - Konos vol 1, Piano- Faber primer, John Thompsons note speller

Science/Bible character development - Konos- vol 1 / Real science for kids- pre-chemistry

Geography - coop- country of the month.

Edited by Hottater

Your list looks good! I used WWE for "writing" (composition). I don't do story writing, as my son isn't naturally inclined to write stories at this time - forcing creative writing would result in tears here. We work on oral narrations and copywork in first grade. We added dictation in second grade (though he did dictation in AAS in first grade).

Math - Saxon Maths

Reading - Red Rocket Readers

Spelling - Spelling workout A (I think I stuffed up! I haven't even got the books yet but I've since discovered All About Spelling and I think I'll get and use AAS instead as it seems a lot more structured and complete)

Science - REAL Science 4 kids, Pre Biology

History - The Story of the World 1 (LOVING IT!!! :thumbup:)

Penmanship - Handwriting without tears (True and tested)

Art - Meet the Masters (Love it)

Music - Recorder and possibly piano later on

We also do Book Reviews on all the books I read the children which is mainly copy work but they dictate to me what the story was about, their favourite part etc which helps with their comprension.

Hope this helps, but keep in mind I am constantly checking to see if the there are better programs out there especially if the one I have isn't working for my children.

:)

For writing/composition in first grade I have used:

WWE

journal writing (I bought a 1st grade journal from Miller Pads and Paper which has space to draw a picture and two lines to write a sentence or two)

Evan-Moor workbooks (How to Write a Story grades 1-3, and How to Report on Books grades 1-2)

All of those are good. You could even do all of them, alternating days on which you use them.

This year I ended up starting my 1st grader using IEW with my 3rd grader, though I didn't plan to do that. I learned from the teacer's DVDs that Andrew Pudewa has used the program with 1st graders with success, so I decided to throw in my 1st grader to see what happened. She is actally doing great which I can't believe, though IEW would probably be over the top for first grade in general.

We're using a combo of a lot of different things.

Math: Singapore 1A/1B and McRuffy Color Math 1

L/A: Phonics Road 1, McGuffey Readers, copywork

Science: Unit studies

History: 1 year world history overview, using the library for lots of read alouds

Geography: Beginning Geography by Evan Moor and Expedition Earth

Here is a more detailed list: First Grade curriculum

I was so tempted by Konos, I see you are using that. It looks like a really interesting and neat way to learn.

Edited by drexel

My son just finished first grade and my daughter's just starting, so I feel like we've been doing first grade forever. Here's what we're using this year, which is essentially the same curriculum grouping son used, except he used Spelling Workout A instead of AAS. I was fairly happy with SW, but when I came across AAS I preferred its more thorough approach and use of manipulatives. I'm a student myself and may use SW as a backup when I need extra study time, since it can be done independently, unlike AAS.

Yeah, i have a toddler and a three year old, and evening piano teaching work, so any time I can have him do independent core stuff is better (SWO). I seem to see all these other posts with AAS as being the best choice, but am being overwhelmed with the time it takes to get all this stuff taught and prepped, as my DS needs so much hand holding to get through everything it seems.

Yeah, i have a toddler and a three year old, and evening piano teaching work, so any time I can have him do independent core stuff is better (SWO). I seem to see all these other posts with AAS as being the best choice, but am being overwhelmed with the time it takes to get all this stuff taught and prepped, as my DS needs so much hand holding to get through everything it seems.

Looking at your list again... It looks like you have doubled up some things?

I understand toddler and 3 year old. I'm there too (except I have a 4 year old, but he's worse than he was at 3 :lol:). Unfortunately, 1st grade and independent don't usually go together. :tongue_smilie: I'm just starting to give my 2nd grader a little bit of independence in history/science, but only because he's a really strong reader. In first grade, I didn't do anything independent, really. I did select programs that didn't require much prep time from me. For example, AAS is completely open and go. I grab the book and box of stuff (which I stack on top of it), grab the white board with our letters already placed on it, and start teaching. I don't think you need to use AAS, of course. SWO is perfectly fine. As long as it's working for your child, stick with it! :D I'm just pointing out that some curricula that are "teacher intensive" to teach are little to no prep time, and that can make a difference. In the curriculum list in my sig, the only thing that requires any prep is reserving library books for history. Everything else is open and go, so we can easily finish in 2 hours even with the distractions of the 2 and 4 year old (though in a pinch, Blue's Clues does some babysitting :tongue_smilie:).

When my son Did SW A, he needed someone to sit with him and keep him on task, so while technically it could have been independent work, it still took about the same amount of immediate attention from me that AAS would have. He's six now, though, and a bit more capable of keeping himself on task. So that's just something to consider--is your DS actually going to do SW independently, or will you have to make the same time commitment anyway?

R&S 2 for English Grammar

2nd grade Core Curriculum workbook for Phonics and fun activities

RS4K pre-level 1 biology

SM 2a&b, Math Mammoth geometry

Spelling Plus and Dictation

SOTW Vol 1

Daily Assigned reading

Copywork that lines up with history for handwriting

Looking at your list again... It looks like you have doubled up some things?

I understand toddler and 3 year old. I'm there too (except I have a 4 year old, but he's worse than he was at 3 :lol:). Unfortunately, 1st grade and independent don't usually go together. :tongue_smilie: I'm just starting to give my 2nd grader a little bit of independence in history/science, but only because he's a really strong reader. In first grade, I didn't do anything independent, really. I did select programs that didn't require much prep time from me. For example, AAS is completely open and go. I grab the book and box of stuff (which I stack on top of it), grab the white board with our letters already placed on it, and start teaching. I don't think you need to use AAS, of course. SWO is perfectly fine. As long as it's working for your child, stick with it! :D I'm just pointing out that some curricula that are "teacher intensive" to teach are little to no prep time, and that can make a difference. In the curriculum list in my sig, the only thing that requires any prep is reserving library books for history. Everything else is open and go, so we can easily finish in 2 hours even with the distractions of the 2 and 4 year old (though in a pinch, Blue's Clues does some babysitting :tongue_smilie:).

I love open and go, but DS needs visuals. OPGTTR is great for me, but plodding for him. He likes cartoony pics, VERY visual. And I like an idiot bought Spelling power, couldn't return it, cause it's the wrong grade level, and won't know if I need to use it for my other children later. Doubling up on lots of stuff, because I am in a konos co-op, and really want less plodding, as well as i don't want to miss anything, I don't want to get into a "homework=all workbook" being no fun, type of teaching. Like, MUS and singapore. He went through singapore not really mastering his subtraction facts. I've used online games for the addition facts, and something wasn't jiving, so I had to go back to MUS to supplement the incremental thinking. I would love to use AAS, if it stops the teacher intensive planning and attention along with the plodding from my son. My son will just zone out sometimes, and I will ask him the same question 3 times. Like repeating 10-8 = 2. He just won't memorize auditory info, even if I repeat it 3 times. :banghead: It took us a month to memorize the states and capitals, but only by song.

We are using-

Miquon math

Beautiful Feet books for history and geography

Charlotte Mason style nature notebooks for science

Copy work for handwriting, grammar, spelling, and bible ala CM

First Steps and various readers for reading

She is also writing to two pen pals weekly, playing on Time For Learning, watching nature documentaries, visiting interesting museums, science centers, aquariums, zoos, farms, sanctuaries, nurseries, preserves, theaters, and traveling a ton...we have gone to the Keys, the mountains, and we are planning a trip to the desert soon. Most of our learning happens as we experience it first hand. :)

DS6 is my 1st grader; he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to learn at the moment so we're still at the beginning stages in many respects. We use:

LA:

Spelling Workout A

MCP Phonics A

Explode the Code 1

Bob Books and Usborne Very First Reading Series

CLA Handwriting with Diligence

(and by the end of the year we will have used some of) WWE 1

Math:

Saxon Math 1

Latin:

SSL

Content subjects:

Apologia Astronomy with Knowledge Box lapbooks

SOTW 1

Arts:

Drawing with Children (Mona Brookes)

Piano, Suzuki style

When my son Did SW A, he needed someone to sit with him and keep him on task, so while technically it could have been independent work, it still took about the same amount of immediate attention from me that AAS would have. He's six now, though, and a bit more capable of keeping himself on task. So that's just something to consider--is your DS actually going to do SW independently, or will you have to make the same time commitment anyway?

My son just turned six, so I don't if I should do more hand holding through SWO or just go AAS. His reading level is beyond SWO A through to the middle of the book, so, maybe he could do it himself if I explained some of it to him ahead of time? Does it have spelling rules like AAS? Anyone know the comparative analysis of whether one is more comprehensive and sequential than the other?

His reading level is beyond SWO A through to the middle of the book, so, maybe he could do it himself if I explained some of it to him ahead of time?

Even if he can read the instructions, he MAY not work independently. Ask me how I know. :glare:

DS can read and comprehend several grade levels above his current grade. He still prefers that I read instructions to him. It's the age. I was shocked the other day when I had given him some copywork in a new spelling book while I took a shower. When I got out, he said "I spelled all of them orally also. It said to do that." I could not believe it! :001_huh: There IS hope that one day he will just read the directions himself and run with them, since he's clearly understood those directions since he was a young 5. :tongue_smilie:

Maybe your son will be more independent though. :D

Even if he can read the instructions, he MAY not work independently. Ask me how I know. :glare:

DS can read and comprehend several grade levels above his current grade. He still prefers that I read instructions to him. It's the age. I was shocked the other day when I had given him some copywork in a new spelling book while I took a shower. When I got out, he said "I spelled all of them orally also. It said to do that." I could not believe it! :001_huh: There IS hope that one day he will just read the directions himself and run with them, since he's clearly understood those directions since he was a young 5. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I have a feeling he's gonna do the same to me. Moms never win... I shouldn't have been so happy that my daughter at 13 months started potty training and told me she had to go with a nod and eye contact and nod. The last 4 days she regressed. Poo all over the ENTIRE Crib/sheets, stuffed animals. I can't rejoice, murphy's laws seem to kick in...

My 6 yr old is sorta struggling. She thinks deeply and asks insightful questions and is very smart, but is really struggling with the reading/ writing/ math/ memory stuff and likely has some LD's. So we're doing a hybrid K/1st, and not the load my now second grader did last year.

Reading: Saxon Phonics 1 (maybe move to Webster's later)

reading aloud from this old series of American Language Readers and easy books

Headsprout and then probably Funnix 2

Handwriting: New American Cursive (gonna try. We'll see) Practice printing name.

Math: RS A, Miquon, Dreambox, and MUS Primer

Occassional journal writing. Not going to do formal spelling, grammar, or writing, since handwriting is such a struggle.

Join older dd for history, science, geography, religion, art, etc.

My 6 yr old is sorta struggling. She thinks deeply and asks insightful questions and is very smart, but is really struggling with the reading/ writing/ math/ memory stuff and likely has some LD's. So we're doing a hybrid K/1st, and not the load my now second grader did last year.

Reading: Saxon Phonics 1 (maybe move to Webster's later)

reading aloud from this old series of American Language Readers and easy books

Headsprout and then probably Funnix 2

Handwriting: New American Cursive (gonna try. We'll see) Practice printing name.

Math: RS A, Miquon, Dreambox, and MUS Primer

Occassional journal writing. Not going to do formal spelling, grammar, or writing, since handwriting is such a struggle.

Join older dd for history, science, geography, religion, art, etc.

Maybe your 2nd grader is just ahead. My ds I would say is already halfway into 1st grade material already, because I started him with stuff early. I started with abeka 3 yo, K4, and K5. Abeka also seems to be ahead in k compared to our state standards. as far as memory- try right brained material, it might help. I did handwriting without tears-- it was awesome, the wet chalkboard idea was THE best. Then i went from large font to small font to 3 lined paper. Then went with Explode the code for one word at a time, then a reason for handwriting for sentences.

Edited by Hottater

Exactly; the ability to work independently seems to have little to do with being technically able to read and follow the instructions. My daughter's not quite halfway through OPGTR and needs instructions read to her but has no trouble completing worksheets unsupervised, yet her brother, who can read anything you put in front him, can't stay on task unless he's fascinated by what he's doing. Every kid is different, and hopefully your son is of the more independent variety.

Exactly; the ability to work independently seems to have little to do with being technically able to read and follow the instructions. My daughter's not quite halfway through OPGTR and needs instructions read to her but has no trouble completing worksheets unsupervised, yet her brother, who can read anything you put in front him, can't stay on task unless he's fascinated by what he's doing. Every kid is different, and hopefully your son is of the more independent variety.

I think it's totally the boy/age thing, he wouldn't be independent unless it's a video game...

Phonics: finishing the Reading Lesson book and cd, Reading Eggs, then we'll move into HOD's Emergent Readers

Just started Writing with Ease and we'll see how that goes.

Math: TT3 and we'll fill in with other stuff if he hits a tough spot but so far he's doing great!

(family) History: SOTW 1 w/ AG and Vos Story Bible

(family) Science: Apologia Zoology 1

We are working through the Pathway Reader book for grade 1 and the accompanying workbook. He read the first couple grades of the pathway readers last year but I wanted to do the workbook- lol. We didn't do that with the reading last year. For some reason. Also, memoria press and their story time treasures book. We just finished up Billy and Blaze and the few pages with language arts. So far so good. Also, Singapore math 1 with the intensive practice. And Paths of Exploration by Trail Guide to Learning for history and geography, etc. We are working through Elemental Physics, and that's going well too!