Menu

TOG Users! I have questions!

DusksAngel

I really like what I've seen so far with TOG. I guess my struggle/question comes from when to start using it. My oldest is 4. I know that some suggest using it right from the start and some suggest starting the second time through.

If you start using it from the beginning, do you buy all the extras (map aids, evals, writing aids, etc) or do you wait and pick them up the next time around? When do you start using the writing aids program? Or do you use something else in it's place? Do you use a set spine or use different resources?

I'm trying to decide when to purchase and these questions are driving me (and thus the dh) nuts. Thanks for helping!

All the extra are not necessary, with the exception of map aids. Everything else can wait. So can TOG, for that matter. I recommend waiting until your oldest is at least in UG level before purchasing. Take it from someone who knows, lol!

I agree. TOG is wonderful, but it is best used when the oldest is at 5th grade level or beyond and the younger students are pulled in at a lower level so that the family is all studying the same era of history at the same time. This is what Marcia Sommerville, the author of TOG, had in mind when she created the curriculum.

Until your family reaches that point, why not consider SOTW with the companion workbooks and activity guides, combined with LG lit. choices from the TOG book lists? I believe that is exactly what I would do if I had young children to homeschool.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We're just starting TOG Year 1 this year with my 6 year old and 4.5 year old. I wouldn't bother doing it with my 4.5 year old if my 6 year old wasn't also doing it. I think, but could be wrong, that when people are saying to start from the beginning, they mean if you have a 9, 7 and 5 year old doing it, go ahead and have your 4 year old join in. To me, there's just too much that my kids cannot do that it would just wouldn't be worth it if my oldest was just 4. I wade through the info every week, and find most of what applies to my kids is reading, vocabulary practice and projects. So we just do lots of readings (with one reading comprehension journal entry a week) movies and LOVE the projects. We have done a little map work, but I don't like to make my kids write too much in their TOG projects (they write so much already with phonics, math, science and handwriting...) so I end up making labels on the computer and having them cut them out to glue them on. The maps in TOG are a little small for this kind of project so I've used maps from other sources.

We plan on using WWE as our writing spine, which is pretty adamant about the level your child should be when you start- 6 years old, first grade. Because I don't feel we're there yet, we're aiming to start that in January. So I don't know yet how the writing aids will work with WWE. I can tell you that the Writing Aids are divided up into 12 levels, so I am thinking those will follow close to the twelve grades (so there's no kindergarten.) The first 7 weeks have no writing aids for levels 1 and 2 and then in week 8 they start writing sentences and toward the end of the first three months they get to paragraphs. So I would keep that in mind- if you want your four year old at that level that early that may work for you. If you want to follow WWE, though, the writing aids are un-needed until your child is 6.

If my 4.5 year old was my oldest, and I wanted to start TOG right away, then I would do one of two things: 1) Do Year 1 twice, in two consecutive years, (doing light readings and simple projects the first time through, adding maps and writing, deeper reading and projects the second time) or 2) Take two years to do Year 1, going half-pace and coming back around every once in a while to review things as your child gets older.

Oh, just to mention- I put together the first unit's laptop book, looked it over, and boxed it up for our next time through. There was very little my kids could have done with it, let alone enjoy. It's pretty writing intensive. But they are nice, I am excited to use them in Year 2!!

Short answer- TOG can be interesting and useful for a 4 year old younger sibling, but the vast majority of it is just too advanced for them. Thus it's an expense, and a ton of paperwork to drudge through, for very little payoff, in my opinion.

If you can emotionally hold off one year, I would say do so. But if you just cannot stand to wait (and I totally understand this) then start small with the basics. If you get the DE version, you can download and add whenever you want.

How I would do it (assuming you are using Year 1)

Pick a spine for history. I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Book-World-History-Picture/dp/0860209598

Read pages that go with that week.

Start working on vocabulary that they have listed for LG. I search http://www.quizlet.com and use flashcards from there. Here is LG YR 1 WK 1: http://quizlet.com/2241045/tog-yr1-unit-1-week-1-lg-flash-cards/ MAKE IT FUN!!! No pressure. Just enjoy working the terms and make a game of it. Even if you only pick 5 words and do one a day. :)

Pick one history or literature picture book to go with weeks theme. (More ONLY if your child enjoys it.)

Find or purchase color sheets and/or lap book stuff to play with weeks concepts.

Find a cartoon to go with theme on http://www.youtube.com Bible stories are SUPER easy to find! :)

Discuss themes casually.

For instance, my little ones were getting really wild and I asked if they were Barbarians. ;) They then picked what tribe they were and staged a full fledge Celts vs Huns vs Vandals vs Visigoths vs Romans fight! :lol: (No real weapons.....just pillows!)

Another time, when studying Monks we took a 5 min vow of silence. :D

Make it fun and light! Use this time to play with them and educate yourself.

You could tie in letter of the week (Creation: A is for Adam), numbers (Noah's arc filled 2 by 2), and science (flood).

Do ONLY what they are interested in!!!

Take the rest of the time to get a good routine and establish good habits and discipline.

Hope that helps :)

This is our first year with TOG as well, but my son is almost 6 and we're calling this first grade. I was one of those who couldn't wait. :D But I knew going into it that we wouldn't be using the vast majority of material in it. I'm OK with that. A lot of it has been an education for me and I like that it keeps me on track. For history we really only read the book suggestions and a SOTW chapter if there is one listed as an additional resource for that week. But my son seems pretty into it and asks tons of questions. I feel much better equipped to answer his questions because I can read the Teacher's notes and glance ahead to where we are going in the weeks ahead. I'm sure not everyone is as clueless as I am/was when it comes to history. :) For me (again because I am pretty clueless when it comes to this), it's also been really helpful to have some of the Bible readings incorporated into the schedule. We have a nightly Bible story already, but it's nice to see some of the same names and places show up in our history readings. The past few weeks we have also been study the 7 elements of art as suggested in TOG. That's something that would not have occurred to me to teach (and no - I didn't know those either, ha!) so I appreciate it being in there.

Well, that was a lot of rambling and when I look back at the original question it's not even what you asked. :rolleyes: I purchased Writing Aids because it was a one time purchase. It looks great and I read through some of it, but I don't feel like we're "there" yet. You could look through the Writing Assignments on the sample week plans and decide whether or not you're ready to do any of those. If not, then your Writing Aids will just probably just sit on the shelf like mine. At least until next year. :)

I wouldn't want to be without Map Aids. I'd spend hours looking for maps. Like another poster, I make up labels and have the kids stick them on instead of writing out the place names. They can do that next time. For now, we're just getting familiar with maps and how to find things on them. Even my 3 yo enjoys this (even if most of her stickers do end up upside-down).

We also bought Pop Quiz, which was the one I had the most difficult time deciding on. We bought enough stuff though (and at the right time maybe) that the Y1 discs were only $25. My husband enjoys them because he doesn't have the time to sit down and read the teacher's notes like I might, but already I've gone to him to talk about our history/bible material and we've been able to have more meaningful conversations because he has the gist of what the week covers.

MAKE IT FUN!!! No pressure. Just enjoy working the terms and make a game of it. Even if you only pick 5 words and do one a day. :)

I really like this idea. I had abandoned vocab words because the list seemed so long and overwhelming. But there's no reason I can't do just 5!

And I agree with AngelBee about the history spine. We use the Internet-linked version (though we haven't actually used the Internet bit - ha!), but my son really likes it. The pictures are great and (in our version at least) it's got a great running timeline along the bottom that really helps us place the events in history.

Strange but I think if the OP is considering it, why not?

I am thinking of getting TOG just for myself and this is after deciding to stop using it for my children. It's just the pace that did us in as well as the books that my oldest was totally not ready for. So we're using something else for our hs but I'll tell you this. TOG is the most rigorous curricula I've come across in 8 years of hs'ing. It would serve you as mom very very well.

TOG does alot of building skills at the younger levels. Some really good skills.

Writing foundations, map work, biblical exposure relative to historical events, literary helps and the ability for mom to improve her own education.

Marcia is pro mom's education. SWB is too for that matter. TOG is self education scheduled out in my opinion for us as mom's desiring to go deeper.

Just my 2cs.

I am thinking of getting TOG just for myself and this is after deciding to stop using it for my children. It's just the pace that did us in as well as the books that my oldest was totally not ready for. So we're using something else for our hs but I'll tell you this. TOG is the most rigorous curricula I've come across in 8 years of hs'ing. It would serve you as mom very very well.

TOG does alot of building skills at the younger levels. Some really good skills.

Writing foundations, map work, biblical exposure relative to historical events, literary helps and the ability for mom to improve her own education.

Marcia is pro mom's education. SWB is too for that matter. TOG is self education scheduled out in my opinion for us as mom's desiring to go deeper.

Just my 2cs.

I am actually skipping some books and letting them choose from lower level things as well because of the fact it is such a deep program.

I really like what I've seen so far with TOG. I guess my struggle/question comes from when to start using it. My oldest is 4. I know that some suggest using it right from the start and some suggest starting the second time through. I assume that by "from the start" you mean when he is in first grade, right?

If you start using it from the beginning, do you buy all the extras (map aids, evals, writing aids, etc) or do you wait and pick them up the next time around? I bought Writing Aids - I think it is an excellent resource even though I don't use TOG's writing assignments at this point. If you want to do geography then you want map aids. I will probably never use any other extras so definitely not the first time through. When do you start using the writing aids program? Or do you use something else in it's place? WWE for now. I plan to use WA the next time through. Do you use a set spine or use different resources? I like the variety of books TOG offers so I have not used a spine.

I'm trying to decide when to purchase and these questions are driving me (and thus the dh) nuts. Thanks for helping!

You could buy one unit with no extras right now. Look through and see what you think. That is the best way to get a feel for it. FWIW, I would wait until your oldest is between 3rd and 5th grade. There are other programs that do the job TOG does at lg level just as well and are a lot easier on Mom. I am still undecided whether I did the right thing by starting so early. I suspect I could have made my life a lot easier if I had just waited. Live and learn.:001_smile:

If I were starting TOG with a Kindergarten student...(which I will be soon)

Use Lower Grammar books.

Skip the evaluations and Writing Aids.

Use the maps or google for similar maps if you are so inclined and if it makes sense to your child.

If your child enjoys arts and crafts go for the lap books (kits or printable files as suits you).

If you want a more gentle approach to discovering what your child has retained you could use the Pop Quizzes-designed as a verbal exchange between parent and child. You could use LG evaluations and just read the questions to them and write the answer yourself until their skills catch up. Alternatively you could do a Charlotte Mason style narration on the topic of the week or particular readings. Write down what your child tells you until they can do it themselves or use what you write down as copy work for handwriting practice.

Read as many or few books on the topic as you need. Seek extras from the library as needed or as rabbit trails develop.

Also, if you start in K you don't need to finish all of Y1 that year. You can take it slowly and finish it up during 1st grade too.

I find with early elementary it is a good idea to find coloring books that go with the topics-many are listed in the curriculum. Sometimes it is easier to use those during read aloud sessions to keep the hands busy while the ears listen.

I started using TOG when dd was 5.5yo. I do not for a minute regret it, and we are loving it. Now that we have year under our belt, here is my advice.

1. Do not use TOG when your oldest is LG, UNLESS she is immensely interested in history AND is not struggling with the 3 R's. There is so much to the TOG program, it is easy to feel like you are not getting your money's worth if you don't do it all. And this is especially true at the LG level. Even the TOG folks will tell you to focus on the 3 R's and that history is "dessert." With TOG, we are doing history/literature every single day, because my dd6 is a little sponge when it comes to history. If we weren't doing that, I would most certainly feel that I had paid too much for what we were getting out of it. (I do sometimes feel like I should have just done SOTW, especially since we still use it as a supplement. But I love how TOG has everything laid out and scheduled for me each week.)

2. Do not start until 1st grade. Take the K year to do geography so that all that history will make more sense when you get to it. I did not have it planned that way, but it just worked out. But I was really grateful that we focused on geography first, because it has made our history studies that much more meaningful.

HTH

Just my 2cs.

It is quite interesting to hear you say this considering you were one of the ones who advised me to "simply get some history books that look interesting and read the bible with them." :tongue_smilie: I'm really curious to hear what brought on your change of heart.

Are you suggesting the OP purchase TOG simply to self educate, but not to use with her children?

Are you saying you won't be using TOG for your own children, but just to self educate yourself? :confused:

As for the pace and the books being too advanced, what advice would you give to TOG users on how to avoid being "done in" by TOG?

I know everyone says "TOG is a buffet", but in some cases if you don't use the indepth readings, then you're unable to answer the questions, at least from what I've read. (I'm not sure if this is isolated to Year 1 only, or does it happen with the other years as well?)

To the OP, sorry for the hijack! :001_smile:

Momee, I'd love to know the answers to Jennifer's questions as well. I'm about to dive into TOG yr1 unit 1, just ordered some books today. I will say that I'm not totally confident that this is the right choice. I feel like we will not be able to keep up with the pace. I fear history will take over our homeschool and burn us all out. I've tried just about everything else out there and nothing seems to be just right for us, so I figured I might as well give it a try. I bought it last year but chickened out back then. Anyway, I'd love to know your thoughts since I've followed your SL/TOG posts with great interest. Thanks!

Edited by mom&nana

I have two kids, 14 years apart. I started TOG (Classic) with DD when she was 7th grade and used it through high school. I started TOG (Redesigned) with DS last year for 1st grade.

Honestly, I don't understand why so many ppl say not to use it with the lower grades. I wish I had found it when I first started homeschooling with DD...low these many years ago. However, I do think 4yrs old is a bit young for formal schooling (I'm CMish, not WTM). At that age I would do "fun" schooling like Letter of the Week.

TOG in the younger years doesn't have to take that much time. In fact, it's the smallest part of our homeschool day. We do all our table work first, then cuddle up on the couch for our history and literature reading. I don't require DS to sit and listen, but instead allow him to color, play with legos, etc., while I read. (Although he usually does end up on my lap because he likes looking at the pictures as I read.)

If we're doing maps that week, I print off the teacher's map and have him highlight the names of the area's we are studying. If we are doing lapbooks that week, I have him do one or two mini-books a day. (I do all the cutting and writing inside. He does any coloring and gluing.)

I pick out several extra activities, like a craft project or a movie, but we rarely do more than one or two a week. At this age it's more about introducing them to history, rather than expecting mastery of it. I guess you could say I'm a very laid back TOGger. :D

I have absolutely no regrets starting TOG with my youngest (and last) at the start of his school career. But I also learned when teaching my oldest that there is NO WAY you can do everything listed in a typical TOG week. It is really and truly OKAY to just pick one history and one lit book and not do anything else.

Edited by photojenic

Having done SL CORE3 before, I think TOG's LG level actually has less work. TOG YR2 at least.

So very doable for littles.

My only issue has been that my children don't love to read or be read to. That is an issue with any lit based program though, so that has been our challenge finding a balance between reading and hands on/visual opportunities.

I have absolutely no regrets starting TOG with my youngest (and last) at the start of his school career. But I also learned when teaching my oldest that there is NO WAY you can do everything listed in a typical TOG week. It is really and truly OKAY to just pick one history and one lit book and not do anything else.

You are right. It is absolutely okay to do this. But moms that are buying TOG need to know that they are paying $200 for what ends up being a book list. I am okay with it, because we do read almost everything in that list, and I like that the longer books are broken down into a few pages to read each week. And since my dd loves history so much, I am confident that we will continue to use TOG more deeply as she gets older.

Photojenic, I think you are agreeing more than disagreeing. The last line of your post reads:

It is really and truly OKAY to just pick one history and one lit book and not do anything else.

That is why I think TOG can be overkill at those ages. You either spend A LOT of money for a booklist or you spend A LOT of time planning, organizing, printing, cutting, etc. There is nothing wrong with that, I just think one should go in with eyes wide open. I have spent over $700 over the course of 3 years on a booklist. I hope in the long run the price will even out but my eyes have recently been opened to the fact that life happens. When life happens the best laid plans can go right out the window.

Momee, I don't want you to feel like you got jumped on by posting in this thread but I have a question too.:D My "plan" with TOG is to make it work for all my kids. If one isn't into history or can't keep up then maybe they are in 10th grade but working mostly at D level. In retrospect, do you think that would have worked with your ds? Do you think there would have been a way to MAKE it work? I know you did what was best for your situation but I want to have MY eyes wide open as I go forward. I think you are the perfect person to answer this for me. Thanks.

You are right. It is absolutely okay to do this. But moms that are buying TOG need to know that they are paying $200 for what ends up being a book list.

Hmmm....I guess I don't see it that way. I don't believe it is just a book list, but a buffet because TOG integrates geography, history, lit, vocabulary, writing, fine arts, etc. I may not choose to "eat" some of the offerings, but they will be there whenever I want a sample.

I basically have two "only" children. I've never had the option of choosing curriculum with the idea that any other children would be using it, and I rarely get to re-use any curriculum EVER. But I can use TOG (once I get all the year plans) for my DS' entire school career. That is HUGE for me.

I already had all the Classic year plans, but I really liked the digital option with Redesigned, so we're making the investment again. I hope other families will be able to see that TOG can be used with young and only children successfully.

Edited by photojenic

Hmmm....I guess I don't see it that way. I don't believe it is just a book list, but a buffet because TOG integrates geography, history, lit, vocabulary, writing, fine arts, etc. I may not choose to "eat" some of the offerings, but they will be there whenever I want a sample.

I basically have two "only" children. I've never had the option of choosing curriculum with the idea that any other children would be using it, and I rarely get to re-use any curriculum EVER. But I can use TOG (once I get all the year plans) for my DS' entire school career. That is HUGE for me.

I already had all the Classic year plans, but I really liked the digital option with Redesigned, so we're making the investment again. My point is that other families will be able to see that TOG can be used with young and only children successfully.

:iagree: A friend just pointed out this thread to me and while I do not have the time to read everyone's comments I did read some that did surprise me. One was the comment about TOG being a book list in the early years which, much like Jen, I strongly disagree with. I am surprised to see moms that are using TOG with young ones recommend to others not to :confused:! This in not the first thread that I have observed this in either.

Jennifer (Jewel7123), I remember a few months back you were not only eager to start with your young children but were also adamant about self-educating (using the R materials) while doing so. I guess what confuses me here is the lack of understanding that what works in one home will not work quite the same way in another. And that is the beauty of TOG, this is why it is called a buffet. There is plenty to choose from. I think the only issue, which Lampstand Press does touch on, is the difficulty in deciding what to pick.

In the early years it can be a problem finding a balance. I have struggled with that myself and we have only fully completed 1 Unit of Year 1 because as TracyP mentioned, life happened. However, while doing this one Unit Adrian got so much out of it that he has retained a lot. I have now decided to continue with Year 1 units 2-4 during Adrian's grade 2 year (this year) and add a Natives (Canadian and American) unit and a Canadian Geography unit after we are done before proceeding with Year 2. I am also considering doing Year 2 in two years to give us more time to add in Canadian History. We will then either cover Years 3 and 4 in one year each or will continue doing two years of each. We shall see. I will just move on in level as we go.

I feel that the levels (LG, UG, D and R) do not work exactly like some may perceive them to. What I mean is, you do not need to cover each level (LG, UG, D and R) for each Year plan. It is clear that this could not work since there are 4 levels X 4 year plans, which would require 16 years. The levels are stages of development (kind of like maturity levels) and the child progresses through them at his/ her own pace. The Year plan does not matter once you end up going through them. Some of the stages within these levels (I am referring to LG and UG for the most part) the kids will go through naturally. Others they need guidance, especially in the D and R levels. TOG provides this guidance in the various notes provided. So TOG is definitely not just a book list, even at the LG and UG levels unless one chooses to use it as such. To be using TOG as a book list would mean to just read a book or two without any kind of discussion, activity or anything else. The vocabulary, activities, writing etc. work on building on the information that has been covered, particularly in the early years when discussions are not exactly easy with young children. Interacting with the information covered in the books through some of the many and various activities and through daily life (as AngelBee so nicely put it) is the form of discussion you can do with little kids :).

I did initially try to do too much and it did slow us down and I did realize that I needed to find a balance between how much focus to put on history while working on the basics and on the areas that interest my son. We also have local requirements that I need to incorporate and we are in Canada so that right there makes my decisions and approach different to other families. As new homeschoolers and factoring in each family's unique situation, we will be working on finding our groove for several years, I find. Regardless whether one decides to use TOG or another program. However, while working on finding that perfect balance, my child is still gaining knowledge and maturity and building his way through the levels and I am happy with that.

Anyway, I am rambling now but what I want to stress here is, just like any other curriculum, it is up to the family what it will look like in their home. Giving advice based on what has worked in our own personal families will never represent what it will look like in another. Especially with TOG, which is not the type of curriculum to restrict how the materials are used by giving you step-by-step instructions on what to say, when and how. That is what I love about TOG. Whether we do only two cycles because my kids interests lie in other areas/ subjects or we do three full cycles does not matter. TOG will still be the closest program I have found that represents what I want for a history program for our family. It is not the perfect curriculum for everyone but neither are any of the others. I am sure we all tweak programs at various levels to suit our needs and our kids' needs ;).

Now back to working on unpacking and setting up our new school area :).

Edited by Guest

One was the comment about TOG being a book list in the early years which, much like Jen, I strongly disagree with. I am surprised to see moms that are using TOG with young ones recommend to others not to :confused:! This in not the first thread that I have observed this in either.

Doesn't the fact that we are TOG users with young ones only qualify us to give our opinion on when to start TOG? Now that I'm using TOG, I truly see why so many others said the same things to me (to wait) back when I was the one asking all the questions. Perhaps there is a good reason for why this isn't the first thread that you've observed this in.

Jennifer (Jewel7123), I remember a few months back you were not only eager to start with your young children but were also adamant about self-educating (using the R materials) while doing so..

Yes, I was sure I was going to use the R materials, but then, reality set in. With three small children, one of whom destroys the house faster than I can clean it, I just don't have the time to devote to self education right now. I need to be focusing more on teaching my oldest her skill subjects and keeping us with my household duties. The real truth is I told myself I'd be self educating this first go round so I would feel better about spending all the money I did on TOG.

I guess I should clarify that for ME, TOG is a booklist using Year 1, LG level. I don't do the writing assignments in TOG because I use WWE. I don't do vocabulary words formally with my 6 year old. (We just discuss new words as they come up in our reading.) The vast majority of activities in TOG come out of books, so again, I could have easily put those together myself. I'm not using TOG's mapwork but getting that from other sources or not doing it at all. I feel I should be perfectly honest because the OP has VERY young children, and the truth is, TOG really ISN'T necessary at age 4,5,6,7,8.

Have I changed my tune? Yes. I am actually USING it now. Have other people changed their tune as well? Yes. Are we allowed as home educators to grow and evolve and change our minds about curricula? Yes! :001_smile:

Edited by jewel7123

Doesn't the fact that we are TOG users with young ones only qualify us to give our opinion on when to start TOG? Now that I'm using TOG, I truly see why so many others said the same things to me (to wait) back when I was the one asking all the questions. Perhaps there is a good reason for why this isn't the first thread that you've observed this in.

Yes, I was sure I was going to use the R materials, but then, reality set in. With three small children, one of whom destroys the house faster than I can clean it, I just don't have the time to devote to self education right now. I need to be focusing more on teaching my oldest her skill subjects and keeping us with my household duties. The real truth is I told myself I'd be self educating this first go round so I would feel better about spending all the money I did on TOG.

I guess I should clarify that for ME, TOG is a booklist using Year 1, LG level. I don't do the writing assignments in TOG because I use WWE. I don't do vocabulary words formally with my 6 year old. (We just discuss new words as they come up in our reading.) The vast majority of activities in TOG come out of books, so again, I could have easily put those together myself. I'm not using TOG's mapwork but getting that from other sources or not doing it at all. I feel I should be perfectly honest because the OP has VERY young children, and the truth is, TOG really ISN'T necessary at age 4,5,6,7,8.

Have I changed my tune? Yes. I am actually USING it now. Have other people changed their tune as well? Yes. Are we allowed as home educators to grow and evolve and change our minds about curricula? Yes! :001_smile:

I do not argue that we have the right to change our mind about curricula and the way we approach them or about expressing an opinion. I just don't understand why people feel that just because something does not work in their own household (for various reasons) it will not work in another. Just because I have a 2 1/2 year old that stays up until all hours of the night and can go with very little sleep and can climb on packed boxes and reach the top of the bookcase before I can blink, does not mean that another family will have the same concerns to address. Just because my kid is more interested in science or because I choose to use three different LA programs with other resources added, two math programs and two science programs and am having a hard time balancing all that with history, and art, and music, and local requirements, and... does not mean that another mom will have that issue. What works for one family will not necessarily work for another and a visit to the TOG forums can show whether there are families that can successfully use TOG at the LG and UG level. There are families that use it with multiple children that put me to shame with just two. Tina is a good example as you know, and AngelBee also. We each find our own way, it is just a little easier for those that have been homeschooling for a while. Me, I just follow my heart and take recommendations with a grain of salt :D.

Edited by Guest

I'm about 5 weeks into our first go at TOG. Here is my experience. Take it or leave it. ;) I have two lower grammar students and one dialectic. I am "getting" TOG and the good stuff behind it. I still get a little confused as to how to lay out our week, but it is going pretty well. The one I see the true benefit for is my dialectic child. I could and have done in the past basically the same thing that is offered for my lower grammar students by using SOTW or MFW or just a good spine, books, timeline, and maps. The literature pages are good for them. I like their writing/grammar guidance as well. The program itself is "worth" the price they ask. There is more to it than I really knew until I just jumped in. I'm learning a ton!!!!!

I find with early elementary it is a good idea to find coloring books that go with the topics-many are listed in the curriculum. Sometimes it is easier to use those during read aloud sessions to keep the hands busy while the ears listen.

:iagree: My youngers LOVE the coloring books that are recommended. I am continually searching out coloring sheets on Charlemagne or monks or some such through google because they have used the one in their coloring book!!

You are right. It is absolutely okay to do this. But moms that are buying TOG need to know that they are paying $200 for what ends up being a book list. I am okay with it, because we do read almost everything in that list, and I like that the longer books are broken down into a few pages to read each week. And since my dd loves history so much, I am confident that we will continue to use TOG more deeply as she gets older.

I definitely don't think it's just a book list. There's much more meat to it than that!!!

Honestly, I don't understand why so many ppl say not to use it with the lower grades. I wish I had found it when I first started homeschooling with DD...low these many years ago. However, I do think 4yrs old is a bit young for formal schooling (I'm CMish, not WTM). At that age I would do "fun" schooling like Letter of the Week.

TOG in the younger years doesn't have to take that much time. In fact, it's the smallest part of our homeschool day. We do all our table work first, then cuddle up on the couch for our history and literature reading. I don't require DS to sit and listen, but instead allow him to color, play with legos, etc., while I read. (Although he usually does end up on my lap because he likes looking at the pictures as I read.)

If we're doing maps that week, I print off the teacher's map and have him highlight the names of the area's we are studying. If we are doing lapbooks that week, I have him do one or two mini-books a day. (I do all the cutting and writing inside. He does any coloring and gluing.)

I pick out several extra activities, like a craft project or a movie, but we rarely do more than one or two a week. At this age it's more about introducing them to history, rather than expecting mastery of it. I guess you could say I'm a very laid back TOGger. :D

I agree. My youngest son (who was first grade at the time) enjoyed Year 1 more than his brothers. He still has his pharaoh costume, some of his crafts, his high priest breastplate, and some other stuff that I can't remember right now. He can still (two years later) tell you things about ancient cultures. I truly wish that we had known about TOG years ago and used nothing else. They [TOG] even suggest that if your oldest child is in the grammar stage you can take it slower and do a year plan over the course of two years. I think that would be especially handy in year 2. There is a loooooong period of history covered there.

I use TOG with an LG and a D/R. Even for LG it is so much more than a "book list." Writing Aids is fabulous. The LG SAP's are great. The Fine Arts projects are great. The Geography for LG is also wonderful. There is also LG Vocabulary and Famous People to discuss. Even if I didn't use any of the books they suggest, TOG is an invaluable resource because of the order of theme and chronological study. The Teacher Notes are awesome too - sometimes we just read those if we can't find one of the suggested books.

Well said Jennifer. :)

I personally don't see what the problem is. The OP said that she was struggling with WHEN to start TOG since her oldest was only 4. I can't speak for the OP, but I would rather hear from many moms with real experience using it at that age. So it's good you shared your experience too Marie. You shared your experience and Jennifer and TracyP shared theirs. I don't see why they couldn't share their opinions on the program just because they suggested the OP wait. They stated they could have waited, but since they have spent a good deal of money on the program they are making it work now with younger kids. Given a second chance, they feel that might have made a different choice now that they have experience with TOG. I have younger kids. TOG will be just a booklist for them, if I even use it at all with them. The reason I'm wanting to even try TOG is because of my 7th grader. I feel like TOG will give me the tools to accomplish what I feel is missing in our school. My 7th grader isn't challenged enough because I have a hard time putting everything together. I doubt I would look twice at TOG if I had only my young children in mind. However, I will say that I'm very skeptical that TOG is going to work at all in this home and your experience with the program is one of those reasons. I think TOG is too much! I know it's a buffet and all that, but even with the Core and In-depth readings I feel it's too much for a week with all the other more important subjects we must do. You are stretching it out into more years and you are fine with that. However, I'm not. I personally don't want to spend so much time (more than a year) devoted to a certain time period in history. In my case, it may be better to go with a program that offers less so I don't feel overwhelmed with trying to get a week accomplished on time. It's perfectly ok that we have different ideas and goals. My point is, the OP should be able to hear from different moms even if those experiences vary. Then she can take what is said and evaluate it with her own goals, to see whether TOG will work for her family or not. In truth, no one will know if TOG will work for them unless they try. I suppose it's not the wisest course of action to base our decisions on what others said, because as you have pointed out all of our experiences will be different. However, not everyone can or wants to spend so much money to try something that might not work out, hence the reason for asking about user's experiences with the program.

Photojenic, I think you are agreeing more than disagreeing. The last line of your post reads:
It is really and truly OKAY to just pick one history and one lit book and not do anything else.

I don't agree with you Tracy. I think if you read the sentence prior to the one you quoted, it will make it more clear what Jen meant :). Here's the full quote.

But I also learned when teaching my oldest that there is NO WAY you can do everything listed in a typical TOG week. It is really and truly OKAY to just pick one history and one lit book and not do anything else.

ETA: I put the part I am referring to in bold.

I personally don't see what the problem is. The OP said that she was struggling with WHEN to start TOG since her oldest was only 4. I can't speak for the OP, but I would rather hear from many moms with real experience using it at that age. So it's good you shared your experience too Marie. You shared your experience and Jennifer and TracyP shared theirs. I don't see why they couldn't share their opinions on the program just because they suggested the OP wait. They stated they could have waited, but since they have spent a good deal of money on the program they are making it work now with younger kids. Given a second chance, they feel that might have made a different choice now that they have experience with TOG. I have younger kids. TOG will be just a booklist for them, if I even use it at all with them. The reason I'm wanting to even try TOG is because of my 7th grader. I feel like TOG will give me the tools to accomplish what I feel is missing in our school. My 7th grader isn't challenged enough because I have a hard time putting everything together. I doubt I would look twice at TOG if I had only my young children in mind. However, I will say that I'm very skeptical that TOG is going to work at all in this home and your experience with the program is one of those reasons. I think TOG is too much! I know it's a buffet and all that, but even with the Core and In-depth readings I feel it's too much for a week with all the other more important subjects we must do. You are stretching it out into more years and you are fine with that. However, I'm not. I personally don't want to spend so much time (more than a year) devoted to a certain time period in history. In my case, it may be better to go with a program that offers less so I don't feel overwhelmed with trying to get a week accomplished on time. It's perfectly ok that we have different ideas and goals. My point is, the OP should be able to hear from different moms even if those experiences vary. Then she can take what is said and evaluate it with her own goals, to see whether TOG will work for her family or not. In truth, no one will know if TOG will work for them unless they try. I suppose it's not the wisest course of action to base our decisions on what others said, because as you have pointed out all of our experiences will be different. However, not everyone can or wants to spend so much money to try something that might not work out, hence the reason for asking about user's experiences with the program.

I think I explained in my second post, in response to Jennifer, what I meant. I do not think I said anywhere that we should not share our opinions based on our experience with a program. As for the part I put in bold, this is why Lampstand Press (and many other programs) offers sample lessons in order to try the program out, first. With TOG one can also invest on just one unit (about nine weeks depending on the Year plan) and get the books from the library to try it out. This would give a more accurate picture. That's just my opinion anyway and I have the right to express it just like anyone else :).

Marie,

You said, "I am surprised to see moms that are using TOG with young ones recommend to others not to :confused:! This in not the first thread that I have observed this in either."

I guess that's why I was confused. It seemed to me that you didn't feel like they should be sharing their experience with the OP just because it didn't work out in their home as they expected and in hindsight could have chosen something else. You are right that you have a right to an opinion and so do they.

Anyway, I don't want to bicker. :) We can all agree that TOG will be different in everyone's home and that is ok.

I did buy only one unit and so thankful that TOG offered that option. It will give me a chance to try it for a minimal investment. My library didn't have some of the books so I did have to purchase some of them. I actually bought the unit last year and even back then worried that it wouldn't really work out because it is so much. So I never tried it, but I always keep wondering about it so I figured I should give it a honest try.

I use TOG with an LG and a D/R. Even for LG it is so much more than a "book list." Writing Aids is fabulous. The LG SAP's are great. The Fine Arts projects are great. The Geography for LG is also wonderful. There is also LG Vocabulary and Famous People to discuss. Even if I didn't use any of the books they suggest, TOG is an invaluable resource because of the order of theme and chronological study. The Teacher Notes are awesome too - sometimes we just read those if we can't find one of the suggested books.

The thing is that depending on your situation, TOG can become merely a booklist. My dd6 detests worksheets, so there go the literature worksheets. Writing Aids is just not a good fit for her, either. Her vocabulary is already phenomenal, and we talk about new words as they come up in her reading--something I would do no matter what program we were using. Now, we do use and love MapAids, but I can see where it might not work for some people. I also really love the activities. But if the activities were the only thing I was getting (in addition to the booklists), I would not personally invest in it. Obviously, others may feel differently about that.

I would not discourage someone with just an LG student from using TOG. But I think at that age, you really have to do your research and look at each component separately to get a view of what parts of the program will work for your family.

I also really appreciate having the LG years to become familiar with the program so that when we get to the D and R years, I am not struggling with a new program. But believing that I will still be using it a bit of a gamble, isn't it? So check back with me in about 5 years, and I'll let you know how that has gone. :tongue_smilie:

The thing is that depending on your situation, TOG can become merely a booklist.

:iagree:It can become a book list depending on your situation and how you chose to use it. What I did not agree to was the statement that it is a book list. I think TOG, more than any other program, is far from being a book list. Keep in mind though that any program can become a book list depending on how it is used ;). I tweaked SL when we were using it so much, that in the end it did become just a book list. I knew it was time for a change, for us :).

I would not discourage someone with just an LG student from using TOG. But I think at that age, you really have to do your research and look at each component separately to get a view of what parts of the program will work for your family.

Yes, I definitely :iagree:with this. Since the initial investment with TOG is high, given what you get now and in the future, it is a good idea to do some research before investing.

I also really appreciate having the LG years to become familiar with the program so that when we get to the D and R years, I am not struggling with a new program. But believing that I will still be using it a bit of a gamble, isn't it? So check back with me in about 5 years, and I'll let you know how that has gone. :tongue_smilie:

Isn't this a gamble we take with any program though? When we invested in SL initially, my goal was to use it for the long run. I will be re-using P3/4 and P4/5 (barely touching the IG), for Malcolm, and as for Core K (now A) I will be using the books however I choose but without the IG and not as a Core (I will be including Malcolm in TOG, in K). I will not be using LA K that I invested in or Science K. So calculate the value of 5 IG's that I will never (hardly ever) use again (the other resources I do use and will be using) and you probably get the price of a TOG Year plan ;).

Edited by Guest

Marie,

You said, "I am surprised to see moms that are using TOG with young ones recommend to others not to :confused:! This in not the first thread that I have observed this in either."

I guess that's why I was confused. It seemed to me that you didn't feel like they should be sharing their experience with the OP just because it didn't work out in their home as they expected and in hindsight could have chosen something else. You are right that you have a right to an opinion and so do they.

Anyway, I don't want to bicker. :) We can all agree that TOG will be different in everyone's home and that is ok.

Kelli, I have no intention of bickering either :), however, I believe you have misinterpreted my words. I will explain once again for clarifications sake. Voicing one's opinion on a program and how it has worked for them, in their own home, is one thing (and I respect that). Faulting a program because we decided to use it in a different way, other than the intended, is quite another. This causes misconceptions in other people's minds, especially when they are just beginning to research a program. I have seen it so many times on forums and this is why I am staying away or mostly lurking these days. You will see one program built up at one point and then a few months or a year down the road it is torn down by the same people because it did not work as they expected in their household. Why not share one's experience and leave the judging to the reader :confused:? How often do we hear people on here (especially new homeschoolers) being confused or wavering on their decision about programs (I mean any program, not just TOG) because of this?

Edited by Guest

I will explain once again for clarifications sake. Voicing ones opinion on a program and how it has worked for them, in their own home, is one thing (and I respect that). Faulting a program because we decided to use it in a different way, other than the intended, is quite another. This causes misconceptions in other people's minds, especially when they are just beginning to research a program. I have seen it so many times on forums and this is why I am staying away or mostly lurking these days. You will see one program built up at one point and then a few months or a year down the road it is torn down by the same people because it did not work as they expected in their household. Why not share one's experience and leave the judging to the reader :confused:? How often do we hear people on here (especially new homeschoolers) being confused or wavering on their decision about programs (I mean any program, not just TOG) because of this?

I gave my opinion because the OP asked. :001_smile: Your opinion may be different. I assume that she is a grown up who can look at a program, weigh the pros and cons as they are being laid out for her in a thread like this, and make a decision. I am only trying to help her make an informed decision. I believe that is a goal we all share. I have no stake in what she chooses. I have not seen TOG "torn down" on this thread. I have only seen different experiences shared.:confused:

I have to disagree with your second bolded statement. There is no right way that TOG is "intended" to be used in a home. There is no right way to eat at a buffet.;)

I gave my opinion because the OP asked. :001_smile: Your opinion may be different. I assume that she is a grown up who can look at a program, weigh the pros and cons as they are being laid out for her in a thread like this, and make a decision. I am only trying to help her make an informed decision. I believe that is a goal we all share. I have no stake in what she chooses. I have not seen TOG "torn down" on this thread. I have only seen different experiences shared.:confused:

I have to disagree with your second bolded statement. There is no right way that TOG is "intended" to be used in a home. There is no right way to eat at a buffet.;)

:iagree:

Ayi!!! I think I need to walk away because anything I said has been taken out of context :001_huh:. I did not say that TOG was being torn down in this specific thread. I was referring to an observation I have made based on certain threads in general. And... not fully disclosing why a program did not work in one's particular household is not an honest opinion in my book by the way but I wasn't going to go there.

momee also voiced an opinion. It was different than the others. She was cornered and questioned by quite a few on this thread and no one stopped to think that she too has a right to her own opinion :confused:. Honestly, I have seen threads in the recent past like this with all of you saying the exact same things you are saying now and have not bothered to jump in. I respect that we are all grownups and can form our own opinions about a program. However, Jennifer is really good at cornering others with their comments but whenever someone questions her comments she is quick to defend her right to voice her opinion. This was why I jumped in for the most part. But I guess in some people's minds others don't have that same right. I have seen this with others on this and other forums also (talking in general here). Walking away... I think it is a good idea I stick to lurking from now on. I guess there are rules for some but not for others :lol:... And for clarifications sake because once again I am sure this comment will also be misunderstood, I am not referring to the forum rules as stated in the sticky. I am referring to the unwritten forum rules in some people's heads.

Edited by Guest

Oh sorry... I forgot to add that TOG used as a book list is definitely not what Marcia Sommerville intended. That was what I meant with my comment. It can be used as a book list if one so chooses but it is not fair to blame a program for how we choose to use it.

Edited by Guest

Ayi!!! I think I need to walk away because anything I said has been taken out of context :001_huh:. I did not say that TOG was being torn down in this specific thread. I was referring to an observation I have made based on certain threads in general. And... not fully disclosing why a program did not work in one's particular household is not an honest opinion in my book by the way but I wasn't going to go there.

What am I not being honest about? Are you talking about the week my dh was out of town last winter and I shared with you via PM the hard time I was having? Well for one, that is really low :glare: and for two, I am doing much better and that has no bearing on my current opinion.:confused:

momee also voiced an opinion. It was different than the others. She was cornered and questioned by quite a few on this thread and no one stopped to think that she too has a right to her own opinion :confused:. Honestly, I have seen threads in the recent past like this with all of you saying the exact same things you are saying now and have not bothered to jump in. I respect that we are all grownups and can form our own opinions about a program. However, Jennifer is really good at cornering others with their comments but whenever someone questions her comments she is quick to defend her right to voice her opinion. This was why I jumped in for the most part. But I guess in some people's minds others don't have that same right. I have seen this with others on this and other forums also (talking in general here). Walking away... I think it is a good idea I stick to lurking from now on. I guess there are rules for some but not for others :lol:... And for clarifications sake because once again I am sure this comment will also be misunderstood, I am not referring to the forum rules as stated in the sticky. I am referring to the unwritten forum rules in some people's heads.

Marie, why do you feel the need to "jump in"? Why don't you tell the OP that you think starting with a very young child is a good idea and tell her your reasoning. I'm sure that would be helpful to her as she makes her decision. Why do you feel the need to "jump in" and tell me why I'm wrong?:confused:

Oh sorry... I forgot to add that TOG used as a book list is definitely not what Marcia Sommerville intended. That was what I meant with my comment. It can be used as a book list if one so chooses but it is not fair to blame a program for how we choose to use it.

I recommend reading/rereading your Intro to Year 1 pages 6-9 to get a feel for what Marcia intended. I think maybe we are talking in circles. Who is blaming TOG? I am happy using TOG as a book list. I would be unhappy if I tried to do more than that. I am using it for self-ed. I have no doubt that Marcia would be OK with that.:tongue_smilie: In fact, she encourages it in the Loom document.

I think the comment about Jennifer was rude and uncalled for. I certainly hope that Momee doesn't feel like we cornered her. Momee if you do, we apologize. It was a genuine question, and no our questions didn't mean that we felt momee didn't have a right to her opinion. :confused: We simply wanted to know the reason for why she had a change of heart. She was vocal about TOG in the past and she was also vocal about her experience with SL and how great it was going since she switched. So when she said she was considering TOG again, it made us wonder. That doesn't mean we think that she doesn't have the right to change her mind, or that she can't have an opinion. She did post her opinion out in a public forum, so I don't see why she would be upset if someone wanted to know her reasoning behind her response. :confused:

What am I not being honest about? Are you talking about the week my dh was out of town last winter and I shared with you via PM the hard time I was having? Well for one, that is really low :glare: and for two, I am doing much better and that has no bearing on my current opinion.:confused:

I will not be answering to anything else here. Just to this point. Anything else others think of me is of little importance to me but you Tracy were one of the people I did consider a friend and jumping into conclusions like that really hurts. Tracy... my goodness... is this the opinion you have of me? I think the time has definitely come for me to just walk away.

ETA: Most of my comments had nothing to do with you. I was just conversing with you. Sadly, you chose to take my comments personally.

Edited by Guest

The reason I'm wanting to even try TOG is because of my 7th grader. I feel like TOG will give me the tools to accomplish what I feel is missing in our school. My 7th grader isn't challenged enough because I have a hard time putting everything together. I doubt I would look twice at TOG if I had only my young children in mind. However, I will say that I'm very skeptical that TOG is going to work at all in this home and your experience with the program is one of those reasons. I think TOG is too much! I know it's a buffet and all that, but even with the Core and In-depth readings I feel it's too much for a week with all the other more important subjects we must do.

I always felt it was too much too, until I actually tried it. I prayed a lot about the decision before jumping in, and it does need to be said that I'm only 5 weeks into the program. My Dialectic child is doing very well with it and I had thought he would struggle much more with the amount of work. I think that since we're dealing with history, church history, writing, and literature, it makes the amount of time that is spent on it more reasonable. His reading comes from TOG, and we have realized that his history, Bible, history reading, and literature reading last year took more time than he is actually spending on TOG, and the main reason for that is that it is all combined now. The literature analysis and the socratic discussions are worth so much!! This IS an expensive curriculum, but so much is offered in it that I think the value is there!!

Again, if my oldest were 4 or 5, even though others may disagree, I would not use TOG. The ONLY reason I could see choosing it is to go ahead and start making that purchase sooner and also to begin educating myself as the teacher. I have a K child who listens to the readings, colors the maps, and does coloring pages. He's kind of along for the ride. Were he my oldest, not much of the program would be utilized. I think there are some very sweet programs out there for that age, MFW being top of my list. I'd have fun do some of the sweet activities with them while I could then move on to more rigor at a later time.

I really like what I've seen so far with TOG. I guess my struggle/question comes from when to start using it. My oldest is 4. I know that some suggest using it right from the start and some suggest starting the second time through.

If you start using it from the beginning, do you buy all the extras (map aids, evals, writing aids, etc) or do you wait and pick them up the next time around? When do you start using the writing aids program? Or do you use something else in it's place? Do you use a set spine or use different resources?

I really love TOG. I know there are many varying opinions as to what you should buy. But I would keep it simple with littles. There is plenty of time for extras later. Before buying the whole kit and caboodle, I'd recommend buying one unit. Try it...see how it actually works for you.

My other recommendation is to really think about what your kiddo is interested in. I have one that can't get enough history and one that really isn't all that interested in learning at all (but he's young). For my history buff, I assign all the reading and he devours it. For my other, I read to him the STOW, and the LG core books, geography, and that is it. I don't expect anything else out him really b/c he's 6 and just not all that into it yet. For him, its exposure. He'll have plenty of time to dive in deep later. We try to do one hands-on activity a week which involves everyone.

Thank you all for your suggestions. :) After talking with my dh, we've decided to go ahead and purchase it. I like the idea of not only get the feel of it, but also having a guide. I think I'll plan to use 2-3 books during our normal reading time(s), and the kids will love working with the coloring books. I want to do a craft or two as well.

For those who do use TOG with LG/UG level kids, I'll probably be trying to pick your brain more as I go along. Thanks!