Menu

does puberty make boys unable to do math?

Ds 12 all of a sudden can't do math. At all. He is learning exponents, and actually wrote out that 5 cubed was 5x5x5, then wrote that the answer was 15. He did this numerous times. We went over it again. We built a cube with baby sister's squeaky blocks. He totally got it...until the next page when he forgot what cubed was, and acted like he had never heard of it before. :banghead:

Is this puberty???? Cause I don't like it. He already has working memory issues, I don't need this.

At the least I'm going to move math to first thing in the morning. He usually does it last with no problem, but obviously now there IS a problem.

My eldest also has working memory problems. She really struggled with simple math concepts around ages 12-14.

I had to go back and teach and re-teach why we get a negative product when we multiply by a negative number. She'd get so frustrated because her math wasn't coming out right, then look at me like I'd sprouted three heads when I'd say (for the umpteenth time), "Oh, look! Here's the problem. Remember, when you multiply by a negative number...." Sometimes she'd even argue with me and say I was clearly wrong. :banghead:

On the next page, or the next day, she'd have completely forgotten, and we'd have to do it all again. She sometimes struggled to remember her addition and multiplication facts too. I think it was hard for her to do new skills *and* access old information because of the working memory problems and hormones stealing her brains.

It gets better. :grouphug: It all came together for her starting at about 14ish. She suddenly started to recognize the patterns and put the pieces together.

Cat

I would love to see studies done of math and puberty brains. My ds will blurt out the most random thoughts during math, almost every day.

We were working with cubes as well and when not paying attention he still adds instead of multiplying.

I find that when he is going through a growth spurt we almost have to set math aside and work on other math items. He often just can't comprehend.

We're only a few weeks into school so no major issues, yet. I'm hoping some maturity will help. He'll turn 14 this month.

It happened here and if you're already dealing with memory issues things can be rough; foggy brain seems to go with changes in hormone levels at any time of life ;). For teens, eating well (and often) is important. Definitely find out what time of day he works best and do math then. For my son math went much better in the morning after a good breakfast and a walk. I tried fit the rest of his schedule around that. It does get better, but in the short term it can be discouraging for both of you. :grouphug:

DH says he was in a complete brain fog during this time. I have seen it with my DS, too. The past couple of years have been really rough. He turns 15 in a couple of weeks and I think it's getting better. He made a 98 on his math test yesterday. It has seriously been years since he made an A on a math test.

I'm experiencing this phenomenon. In sixth grade, ds was on the metro area's competitive math team -- one of the higher-level players on the 'B' team. He had always been accelerated several years in math, was doing Geometry at home with Dad, no problems (except for Dad's work schedule).

Last year, all that went out the window. He quit math team halfway through, and math was a fight. Out of all of his subject scores on the ACT, math was by far the lowest.

This year, I've put him in review mode. We're going back over all of the Algebra and Geometry we covered in 5th, 6th and 7th grades. I'm really not projecting any forward progress for the next year or two.

Good to know! I was wondering if he left his brain somewhere? I should add that he had language and speech evaluations this week, and I know that really exhausted him yesterday. But man! He wrote: 5x5x5=15. And that 5 cubed was 50. The first one I get it, he added. The second one????????? We quizzed in the car on the way to run errands and he did a bit better.