Menu

Not sure what to think...cholestrol

The yr before last, it was discovered that dd has high cholesterol. It came down a little last yr. But, yesterday we were given the latest numbers...290!!! :eek:

The breakdown:

Her LDL is 209 (yikes, should be no more than 109)

HDL is 63 (good, should be above 35)

Triglycerides 90 (good, should be below 149)

VLDL is 18

(ETA: VLDL results)

Dd is 9 yrs old, she weighs 57-58 lbs. She is 53 in (4ft 5 in) tall. She is very active and strong. I was fine when her cholesterol was high last year because it was down 11 points from the previous year. But 290! That is up 35 points from last yr.

She eats pretty well, but could eat a better variety. She hasn't met a fruit she doesn't like :lol:. Her favorite vegetables are cucumbers and carrots, but she will happily eat spinach (raw), celery, romaine lettuce (salad), peas, and sweet potatoes. Green/red/yellow peppers get ground into tomato sauce. So, she eats them but doesn't know it. We eat a lot of spinach salads. :D We eat mostly chicken, but also turkey, beef and pork. She will NOT eat broccoli, oatmeal, or brown rice (or any other rice for that matter). I consider it good that she does not eat much bread. She will eat pb&J, but it is made on whole wheat bread (I grind and bake), natural pb or almond butter, and pollaner all fruit (no added sugar or HFCS) fruit preserves. She is not the kind of child that will only eat pizza and chicken nuggets.

She takes coromega omega 3 with vit D, probiotics, and a multi vitamin.

I use coconut oil and olive oil when cooking/preparing. I do not buy margarine. I know it is better cholesterol wise, but dd doesn't use butter much anyway. I just don't believe in margarine. We also avoid HFCS and MSG. I am not a stringent alfalfa/tofu type person but we are also not existing on a Mcdonald's diet either. Honestly, this whole thing has me feeling a little defensive. :sad:

We go to the cardiologist in 2 wks. This is what I am feeling: I do NOT want dd on cholesterol lowering meds. All my research has found that these drugs have not been studied in children. I do NOT want her on a diet full of chemicals and altered fake foods!

So what else should I do? Do I just carry on and ignore the numbers? Should I be concerned? The medical community does not know as much about cholesterol in children (according to what I have read). Is there anyone in this boat with me?

Edited by jewellsmommy

A couple of things.

First, the cholesterol levels are calculated, not specifically measured in the standard tests. What happens when HDL is high and triglycerides are low is that the LDL is calculated and can appear very high, even if it's not really a problem.

Second, LDL size matters. Without a specific measure of its density, you're looking not only at a calculated number (which would be lower if her HDL was lower and her triglycerides were higher), but you have no idea what the pattern is. If the majority are large fluffy LDL, it's no problem. Given her HDL and triglycerides, I'm pretty sure her LDL is not the small dense type. But, you can ask they test her specific cholesterol levels by type. It's a more expensive test, but often worth knowing exactly what you've got there.

A couple of things.

First, the cholesterol levels are calculated, not specifically measured in the standard tests. What happens when HDL is high and triglycerides are low is that the LDL is calculated and can appear very high, even if it's not really a problem.

Second, LDL size matters. Without a specific measure of its density, you're looking not only at a calculated number (which would be lower if her HDL was lower and her triglycerides were higher), but you have no idea what the pattern is. If the majority are large fluffy LDL, it's no problem. Given her HDL and triglycerides, I'm pretty sure her LDL is not the small dense type. But, you can ask they test her specific cholesterol levels by type. It's a more expensive test, but often worth knowing exactly what you've got there.

exactly!!! With nice low triglycerides the LDL calculation is almost always off. They are not used to people with low trigs, lol. And again, there are two kinds of LDL molecules. They need to do a test to see which kind she has. But given what you've posed I wouldn't worry.

Sounds like she's eating a good diet, getting her nutrients - including omega-3s and not eating too much carbs. Since you're doing very well nutritionally, maybe you should check what's not under your control (genetics). My dh and thus all my dc has MTHFR - a common genetic mutation that interferes with the conversion of folic acid. His whole family has high cholesterol despite very good diets/exercise. It's a simple blood test and easily treated with high doses of methylfolate(folic acid)/methylcobalamin(B12)/P5P(B6). Google MTHFR high cholesterol

You could also make sure she's getting enough chromium (raw onions/broccoli/supplement) since she's not eating much whole grain.

Edited by Sandra in FL

A couple of things.

Thank you, I will definitely ask the cardiologist.

The 'expensive test' part actually made me chuckle a bit, because dd just had 23 (line items) tests. Some of those tests were 700+ dollars! I kid you not, there was a coagulation test that involved viper snake venom :001_huh:. Dd thought that was cool. They were looking for autoimmune issues and added in the cholesterol test because it had been a yr and she was already prepared (fasted).

exactly!!! With nice low triglycerides the LDL calculation is almost always off. They are not used to people with low trigs, lol. And again, there are two kinds of LDL molecules. They need to do a test to see which kind she has. But given what you've posed I wouldn't worry.

Thank you, I am feeling better already!!!!! I have been a bit of a wreck lately, anyway.

Sounds like she's eating a good diet, getting her nutrients - including omega-3s and not eating too much carbs. Since you're doing very well nutritionally, maybe you should check what's not under your control (genetics). My dh and thus all my dc has MTHFR - a common genetic mutation that interferes with the conversion of folic acid. His whole family has high cholesterol despite very good diets/exercise. It's a simple blood test and easily treated with high doses of methylfolate(folic acid)/methylcobalamin(B12)/P5P(B6). Google MTHFR high cholesterol

You could also make sure she's getting enough chromium (raw onions/broccoli/supplement) since she's not eating much whole grain.

Very interesting, thank you. I like having things to ask about. I feel more empowered. I don't like going to docs empty handed. :D

Honestly, this whole thing has me feeling a little defensive. :sad:

Realistically, if you're eating a diet that's at all reasonable, and it sounds like you are, chances are that this is a genetic predisposition and not anything you're doing wrong.

We go to the cardiologist in 2 wks. This is what I am feeling: I do NOT want dd on cholesterol lowering meds. All my research has found that these drugs have not been studied in children.

I don't blame you. My grandfather suffered serious lung damage from a statin drug. There's no way I'd take them at myself, let alone give them to my growing kids, without clear evidence of need that outweighed the risk.

Have her vitamin D levels been checked? Based on my limited research, checking that and then supplementing if they're low for a 3-6 month trial would probably be my first step.

:iagree:

I would be unlikely to return to a doctor who would prescribe statins to a child without looking into things like this first.

Edited by ocelotmom

ITA w/ several of the PPs. The Friedwald equation is used to estimate LDL; they don't directly measure LDL using a standard cholesterol test.

If her tris are under 100 and her LDL is on the higher side, she probably has big fluffy LDL particles, which are though to be pretty harmless. Gary Taubes' work is great. I also like this article as a primer if this topic is new to you:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35058896/ns/health-heart_health/t/bad-cholesterol-its-not-what-you-think/

My mom has #s kind of like your DD. She has very low tris (in the 60s) and likely has big fluffy LDL particles (sat fat and coconut oil can do that, but bigger fluffier particles are much more desireable than small, dense, sticky particles). My mom's VLDL (estimated using triglyceride #s) is only about 11, which is awesome. VLDL is smaller, denser, and stickier, and thus thought to be more dangerous. When my mom was on statins many years ago, her HDL was only in the low 40s, and her tris were well over 100. Those two #s are *not* good when you look at the evidence. Personally, I'd rather have higher LDL #s with low VLDL and low triglycerides and good HDL, vs. having a "normal " LDL level but with poor HDL levels and higher triglycerides. She is not on statins now.

There is an "Iranian" equation that can be used to calculate LDL in tris that are under 100. http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/weight-loss/low-carbohydrate-diets-increase-ldl-debunking-the-myth/

Look into "pattern A" and "pattern B" density patterns for cholesterol when doing your research. I would definitely recommend Gary Taubes' work, Good Calories, Bad Calories (terrible title, well-researched book). If you want a start on it, he wrote a NYT piece called

"What If It Is All a Big Fat Lie" a few years ago that is fairly lengthy but will give you some idea of what is in his book (which fleshes it all out in much more detail).

MamaBearMO and ktgrok, what is the specific name of the cholesterol test to get the breakdown of small and large LDL molecules? My dd has

total chol 254 (high than range 100-169)

trig 120 (within range 0-149 range but not low)

HDL 52 (within range >39)

VLDL 24 (within range 5-40)

LDL 178 (high not between 0-99)

She also eats a good diet, omega3, etc. I'm doubling her folic acid/B12/B6 to the 3mg/2mg range to see if it's the MTHFR that's causing it but haven't re-tested yet.

Edited by Sandra in FL

MamaBearMO and ktgrok, what is the specific name of the cholesterol test to get the breakdown of small and large LDL molecules? My dd has

She also eats a good diet, omega3, etc. I'm doubling her folic acid/B12/B6 to the 3mg/2mg range to see if it's the MTHFR that's causing it but haven't re-tested yet.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35058886/ns/health-heart_health/t/small-ldl-particles-pose-biggest-risk/

This is a really good video to watch.

Thank you. I just watched it and I have read articles from Dr.Mercola before. He usually has me :willy_nilly: freaking out about something!:lol: But, in this case he was reassuring. :D

Armed with my new knowledge, I feel much better about facing the cardiologist. :001_smile:

Thank you. I just watched it and I have read articles from Dr.Mercola before. He usually has me :willy_nilly: freaking out about something!:lol: But, in this case he was reassuring. :D

Armed with my new knowledge, I feel much better about facing the cardiologist. :001_smile:

Gary Taubes has some talks on cholesterol on You Tube that you may be interested in.

Yeah. Coconut oil is basically all saturated fat.

Yes it is saturated fat, but what I have read has shown that it is a healthy oil. It is far superior to hydrogenated oils. I will also, often, use it in place of butter.

http://products.mercola.com/coconut-oil/

:lol: It's funny because we were just talking about Mercola up thread. It was his article that got me to look into coconut oil. His is not the only article, though, there are many that support the use of coconut oil.

Edited by jewellsmommy

Atherotech VAP Test

It is a VAT test. But given that her VLDL are low, i wouldn't worry at all. The VLDL are the problem. If anything I'd try to lower the trigs with less carbs.

It is a VAT test. But given that her VLDL are low, i wouldn't worry at all. The VLDL are the problem. If anything I'd try to lower the trigs with less carbs.

I dug dd's lab results back out of my purse. Note to self: clean out purse :lol:. Anyway, she also has a VLDL result. I wasn't sure what that was and didn't list it in my op. But it is 18. So, given all the numbers, should I still ask for the more advanced profile?

Was this a fasting cholesterol test? Sometimes they test without fasting, which won't give you a true picture.

Are you going to the cardiologist because of the high cholesterol or some other heart problem? I guess I'd hesitate if it's just because of the cholesterol. Sounds like she is eating really well. More than likely this is inherited and there's not much you can do about it. How are you your dh's levels?

My mom didn't get her cholesterol checked until she was 50. It was 333. Because of this, we discovered that 3 of my mothers 5 children (including me....thanks mom!) have inherited high cholesterol. It's called Familial Hypercholesterolaemia. My latest results were: 267 (LDL: 173). I am not on meds for it yet, but my doctor is suggesting it now. My 18 year old got tested this year, she's at 208 (LDL 120). My 16 year old is 204 (LDL: 117). I haven't tested the "baby" (7 year old)...there's no point right now. My doc said that because of my history, their overall cholesterol looks good/ok. The LDL's are a higher than normal for kids, but we'll just retest in 2 years.

The thing with having inherited high cholesterol is that no matter how good you eat....it's probably still gonna be high. My dh can load up on eggs, bacon, butter...all kinds of stuff I try to avoid like the plague (he's overweight, I'm pretty thin)...and my cholesterol will still be higher than his. :angry:

I guess I would question the need for meds at such a young age. I probably had sky high cholesterol at age 9, but never knew it. More than likely she'll be in her 20's and have not much higher levels than what she has now. She can get on some meds later in life. For now, just eat reasonably....but not fanatically. Excercise can help too (which I seriously lack in!!). But again....at this age it needs to be introduced as fun....not like a life or death matter. This is just my opinion though!

ETA: I just reread your post. I would also agree about stopping the coconut oil. As for margarine/butter....I have been eating Smart Balance Light and I really like it.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Was this a fasting cholesterol test? Sometimes they test without fasting, which won't give you a true picture.

Are you going to the cardiologist because of the high cholesterol or some other heart problem? I guess I'd hesitate if it's just because of the cholesterol. Sounds like she is eating really well. More than likely this is inherited and there's not much you can do about it. How are you your dh's levels?

My mom didn't get her cholesterol checked until she was 50. It was 333. Because of this, we discovered that 3 of my mothers 5 children (including me....thanks mom!) have inherited high cholesterol. It's called FamilialHypercholesterolaemia. My latest results were: 267 (LDL: 173). I am not on meds for it yet, but my doctor is suggesting it now. My 18 year old got tested this year, she's at 208 (LDL 120). My 16 year old is 204 (LDL: 117). I haven't tested the "baby"...there's no point right now. My doc said that because of my history, their overal cholesterol looks good/ok. The LDL's are a higher than normal for kids, but we'll just retest in 2 years.

The thing with having inherited cholesterol is that no matter how good you eat....it's probably still gonna be high. My dh can load up on eggs, bacon, butter...all kinds of stuff I try to avoid like the plague...and my cholesterol will still be higher than his. :angry:

I guess I would question the need for meds at such a young age. I probably had sky high cholesterol at age 9, but never knew it. More than likely she'll be in her 20's and have not much higher levels than what she has now. She can get on some meds later in life. For now, just eat reasonably....but not fanatically. Excercise can help too (which I seriously lack in!!). But again....at this age it needs to be introduced as fun....not like a life or death matter. This is just my opinion though!

ETA: I just reread your post. I would also agree about stopping the coconut oil. As for margarine/butter....I have been eating Smart Balance Light and I really like it.

Yes, it was a fasting test. I am definitely against the idea of cholesterol lowereing meds. That will not be on the table.

We have seen this cardiologist 2 times before. We were originally sent for the cholesterol issue and he likes to follow up yearly. However, we will also be going this time around for some evaluation/just being cautious type stuff. Dd is being evaluated for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. The rheumatologist said dd has hypermobility and a few other characteristics. Because this can cause weakness in the connective tissues, they want her looked at.

Yes, it was a fasting test. I am definitely against the idea of cholesterol lowereing meds. That will not be on the table.

We have seen this cardiologist 2 times before. We were originally sent for the cholesterol issue and he likes to follow up yearly. However, we will also be going this time around for some evaluation/just being cautious type stuff. Dd is being evaluated for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. The rheumatologist said dd has hypermobility and a few other characteristics. Because this can cause weakness in the connective tissues, they want her looked at.

I'm sorry she is having other problems. :grouphug: Good luck and I hope all will go well. She is adorable....even those fangs. :001_smile:

Her triglycerides to HDL ratio is very good at 1.42. (This is the measurement that really matters.)

Her HDL to total cholesterol ratio is also very good at .30.

I would not be worried about it.

Thank you. It is just so hard to get past that big number at the top :001_huh:. But, everyone here has been making me feel so much better.

Dd got up this morning and told me I need to buy her some cheerios to help lower her cholesterol. :lol: I guess she has been listening to some commercials.

Of course, she was also running all over church last night telling adults her cholesterol level. I can't tell you how many came to me with shocked and worried looks to confirm. I think that is part of what built my anxiety up.

ktgrok means, I think, that there is no evidence that saturated fat causes heart disease.

Diet: The National Cholesterol Education Program has created dietary guidelines.

• NCEP dietary guidelines are:
    • total fat: less than than 30% of daily caloric intake
    • saturated fat: less than 7% of daily caloric intake
    • polyunsaturated fat (found in vegetables, nuts, seeds, fish, leafy greens): less than or equal to 10% of daily caloric intake
    • monounsaturated fat: approximately 10%-15% of daily caloric intake
    • cholesterol: less than 200 milligrams per day
    • carbohydrates: 50%-60% of daily caloric intake

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/high_cholesterol/page4_em.htm

Eating something that is extremely high in saturated fat doesn't make sense if you are trying to lower your cholesterol.

Diet: The National Cholesterol Education Program has created dietary guidelines.

• polyunsaturated fat (found in vegetables, nuts, seeds, fish, leafy greens): less than or equal to 10% of daily caloric intake

Eating something that is extremely high in saturated fat doesn't make sense if you are trying to lower your cholesterol.

Those who do not believe saturated fat is the devil it is made out to be actually do have science on their side.

Here is a starting point:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html

The author has since fleshed out that concept even more.

The saturated fat leads to heart disease hypothesis stands on tenuous ground.

Most of us are well aware of what the government guidelines are. We've done our own research and come to a completely different conclusion.

eta: some interesting reading here:

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2011/08/if-there-was-time.html

Once you dig into the actual studies, it becomes very, very interesting, and very clear that the saturated fat causes heart disease hypothesis is quite flawed.

Edited by Momof3littles

Thank you. It is just so hard to get past that big number at the top :001_huh:. But, everyone here has been making me feel so much better.

Dd got up this morning and told me I need to buy her some cheerios to help lower her cholesterol. :lol: I guess she has been listening to some commercials.

Of course, she was also running all over church last night telling adults her cholesterol level. I can't tell you how many came to me with shocked and worried looks to confirm. I think that is part of what built my anxiety up.

Well, you could give her cheerios, and then her triglycerides might rise, her VLDL would likely rise along with it. Her total cholesterol might drop a bit, but her ratio might be less desirable.

Those who do not believe saturated fat is the devil it is made out to be actually do have science on their side.

Here is a starting point:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html

The author has since fleshed out that concept even more.

The saturated fat leads to heart disease hypothesis stands on tenuous ground.

Most of us are well aware of what the government guidelines are. We've done our own research and come to a completely different conclusion.

Since it's up in the air, I still say it won't hurt to take it out but it might hurt to leave it there.

Since it's up in the air, I still say it won't hurt to take it out but it might hurt to leave it there.

I disagree, but different strokes for different folks. Saturated fat tends to contribute to bigger, more bouyant, less sticky particle size. The coconut oil omega ratio is much more desirable than most vegetable oils, meaning it may create less inflammation in the vessels. Cholesterol isn't a problem until it starts sticking, and it likes to stick to damaged, inflamed vessels. Many of us have damaged and inflamed vessels because we overdo the omega 6s among other vices.

I disagree, but different strokes for different folks. Saturated fat tends to contribute to bigger, more bouyant, less sticky particle size. The coconut oil omega ratio is much more desirable than most vegetable oils, meaning it may create less inflammation in the vessels. Cholesterol isn't a problem until it starts sticking, and it likes to stick to damaged, inflamed vessels. Many of us have damaged and inflamed vessels because we overdo the omega 6s among other vices.

Yes, this too.

Well, you could give her cheerios, and then her triglycerides might rise, her VLDL would likely rise along with it. Her total cholesterol might drop a bit, but her ratio might be less desirable.

Exactly what I was thinking. The ratio is the important thing. The HDL is what "cleans up" left over cholesterol from the arteries. The LDL is what goes to the arteries to patch them when there is injury. If there is a good ratio then the HDL will clean up the LDL, so no worries. Raising her carbs means higher blood sugar which means possibly more injury to the arteries which means more LDL going out and sticking to them, forming plaques. Maybe have your daughter watch fathead to make her feel better?

That isn't evidence that saturated fat causes heart disease. It is evidence that that group thinks it is a problem. Not that it is a problem.

Coconut oil is actually extremely healthy and will lower LDL. DH and I are both geneticists, and he studies the genetics of heart disease and has done work on cholesterol. But, as anecdotal evidence, DH has a rare blood type so donates blood as often as he is allowed. We have a great history of his lipid levels, etc. On his donation after I started adding significant quantities of coconut oil to our diet, his LDL levels (which were always good) went down, his HDL went up. The only difference in our diet was the coconut oil. I ran out and have not replaced it, and on his last donation his LDL was back up a little and HDL back down.

Yeah, that's why the 9 yr old doesn't get to do the grocery shopping.:lol: And why commercials are evil!

Edited by jewellsmommy