Menu

Do you have a child who insists on absolute silence during school time?

My 8 yo is driving me ~BATTY~.

On some level, I get where he's coming from. I was never one that could study with music on during college, I need a lot of quiet when I'm concentrating, etc. So, we moved our kid-sized table into his bedroom so he could do his school work in there with minimal distractions. But now, he's complaining about every. last. little. teeny. itty. bitty. noise that filters through his closed door (which is also locked so his younger sisters don't barge in). :glare:

I'm beginning to think this is just one more in a long line of excuses for why he 'can't' get his math done. Honestly, if he'd put as much energy into just DOING it, we could all get on with the day. It's taking an hour or more for him to get through 2 pages of Math Mammoth 3 every day (and I let him skip some problems here and there if he's doing well with the concepts).

Anyone else encountered this? We do live in a house with high ceilings and hardwood floor, so it echoes and magnifies sound a little but this is a new development this year. Last year he sat at the dining room table or on the couch and did just fine.

Yup, my SPD sensory-avoider does this. He has noise cancelling headphones that he wears when the sound bothers him too much. It is not a perfect solution but it does work pretty well. He is also allowed to work in his room with the door shut. I just give him a reasonable time frame and check on him when it is up.

DD now 12.5 did have a problem especially when we sent her to a private school twice. As an only child she wasn't used to background noise. Dh and I agree that she needed to learn to focus in spite of noise and started playing classical music while she studied.

There is a scene in "Akeela and the Bee" where her tutor deliberately makes noise (beating on a garbage can lid) to teach her to focus in spite of what is going on around her. Occasionally DD will fuss at the dogs if they disturb her while studying and we remind her of that scene.

Best Wishes

I have one that tried to be that way. Silence just isn't at all practical in our home. We have 3 kids, a dog, and a work at home dad. Nor is it practical in the working world. So, I made her learn to deal. It sounds harsh, but I knew that by encouraging her sensitivity to it, it would become a big THING. (at least for her) Now, she has the right to request reasonable quiet. But breathing, typing, rustling of paper, low talking and all noises beyond my control...she just has to deal with. I don't allow it as an excuse.

Our house is so quiet (only child, out in the boonies), I started to worry that the kid was getting too accustomed to silence when studying and testing. I remember going from a very quiet home to the chaos that was college and having trouble adjusting, so I've made an effort to increase the noise level once in a while. Not parades through the house or anything; just having a radio audible from another room while he's taking a quiz, not shutting my husband's office door if he's on a call, etc.

So while my kid hasn't exactly insisted on silence, I do think he's not quite aware of how rare it is.

Edit: And I see Dina posted pretty much the same thing while I was writing. Maybe I'm not so crazy!

"Not parades through the house or anything; just having a radio audible from another room while he's taking a quiz, not shutting my husband's office door if he's on a call, etc." :lol::lol::lol:

That is TOO funny!!!

So while my kid hasn't exactly insisted on silence, I do think he's not quite aware of how rare it is.

Edit: And I see Dina posted pretty much the same thing while I was writing. Maybe I'm not so crazy! No, we are not! Ha![/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's really no such thing as silence here either. I think this is a control issue on his part and he's just going to have to learn to deal. DH said for tonight at least he'd do math with him after he got home. Which is a good thing, because I was about to start throwing chairs through the dining room window :lol:

My ten year old snapped at me for breathing too loud! I really didn't even know what to say about that. Noise really gets to her. I don't know how in the world she managed in a classroom setting. I do know that she used to click her tongue while her teacher was lecturing and it drove her teacher nuts. :)

Our house is usually pretty quiet unless my four year old nephew is here, and there's really nothing I can or will do about his noise level. He's four, he deserves to run around and play.

Yeah, there's really no such thing as silence here either. I think this is a control issue on his part and he's just going to have to learn to deal. DH said for tonight at least he'd do math with him after he got home. Which is a good thing, because I was about to start throwing chairs through the dining room window :lol:

:lol: I have been known to make my girls stop what they are doing after them making a huge fuss about some noise here and there. Then they have to finish it after our rest time as "homework." I feel like throwing chairs around too sometimes, as I can't keep things absolutely quiet. DD8 has adjusted, as she used to be sensitive to noise. DD7 has not yet, but I have hopes. :glare: She's always complaining about the noise, and I always tell her that sometimes there will be noise and she needs to get used to it or go to her room and do the work.