Menu

Are there any skin care products that work to reduce redness?

Redness, especially that is a sort-of "butterfly pattern" across the nose and cheeks; a general redness of cheeks; or inflamation or spots may be rosacea, caused by dilation of the tiny blood vessels close to the surface of the skin of the face.

If the redness IS caused by rosacea, then you'll want to try and treat the underlying cause, and not just "cover-up". I have seen entire books on the topic of rosacea, so there is a lot of info around. Here is the national organization's website. And below are some websites that came up on a google search for "rosacea treatment" (the first one has addition photos to help you diagnose if this is your issue or not).

BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

- http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/25/natural-remedies-for-rosacea/

- http://newtreatmentforrosacea.org/rosacea-natural-treatment/

- http://rosaceaskincareinfo.com/rosacea-natural-treatment/

I switched from Metrogel to Prosacea, an OTC topical cream, a few years ago. I'm not saying that it will decrease the redness. I can't tell a difference.

I'm just throwing this out there because it was a lot less expensive than the Metrogel, I no longer need to see a dr. for a script, and there's been no visible difference with the new med.

If you have rosacea, you've probably been told by your doc that you should never use hydrocortisone to treat it! That eventually thins the skin, which would cause more blood vessels to show through. It may seem to initially calm an outbreak, but the long term effect is not what you want!

I switched from Metrogel to Prosacea, an OTC topical cream, a few years ago. I'm not saying that it will decrease the redness. I can't tell a difference.

I'm just throwing this out there because it was a lot less expensive than the Metrogel, I no longer need to see a dr. for a script, and there's been no visible difference with the new med.

I tried Prosacea before Metrogel, but I felt like it irritated my skin and made it worse. Thanks for mentioning it, though. Maybe it will help someone else.

You could try Eucerin Redness Relief. It's tinted greenish to help neutralize the redness (don't worry, it doesn't turn your face green!) and it contains skin soothing extracts and SPF to help protect skin from UV damage. There are a couple products I like from this line - the daily lotion and the night creme. You can usually find both at CVS or Walgreen's or online from a place like drugstore.com.

You could try Eucerin Redness Relief. It's tinted greenish to help neutralize the redness (don't worry, it doesn't turn your face green!) and it contains skin soothing extracts and SPF to help protect skin from UV damage. There are a couple products I like from this line - the daily lotion and the night creme. You can usually find both at CVS or Walgreen's or online from a place like drugstore.com.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

I tried the Aveeno Ultra Calming cleanser and moisturizer, and the redness got worse and spread. The moisturizer reeks of perfume, a big no-no for sensitive and reddened skin. :tongue_smilie: I bought it at CVS, so I'm pretty sure I can return it.

I stopped using the Aveeno, but ever since I used it, my skin burns when I clean and moisturize it. Last evening, my skin felt sticky and almost like it was going to peel after using a Clinique moisturizer that has never had that effect before. I did find out that dry skin, hair, ears, eyes, and nose is a known side effect of the medicine I am on for leukemia. Well, it's known among patients, not so much among medical professionals, since I've been told at my dr's office that this is not a documented side effect of the medicine.

I think I'm going to make an appt with my daughter's dermatologist to get a 2nd opinion on my rosacea diagnosis and see if she has any suggestions for skin care. Maybe she can tell me facial treatments to use and avoid so that I don't make it any worse, and hopefully, can find a way to improve it. It would be great if she has some experience treating cancer patients who have skin issues because of their cancer meds.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I've made a list of them so that I can read reviews and try some of them. :001_smile: