Menu

Joined a gym; now what...?

This is my first time joining a gym, and I'd like to know if there are some types of equipment that are easier for beginners to use than others? I need to get fit without spending a fortune on personal trainers...

Background:

At the start of the summer I was thinking I was in a decent holding pattern with 2 aerobics classes a week, some light biking & running around after kids. Total denial, but WHATEVER. Then, I got knocked down by a car door and have spent the last 4 weeks with a broken ankle. So much for fitness.

My walking cast is coming off next week, and I celebrated by joining a gym BUT when I went today for my orientation and personal fitness evaluation, here's what Ms Twenty-and-Skinny came up with: "you're overweight, your body fat is alarming, and don't even bother trying the equipment without a trainer or you'll hurt yourself." (not her exact words, but that's the gist :lol:)

And I can't afford the extra $300 for 16 sessions with a personal trainer. :-(

She showed me how to use the treadmill; that's a good start, but honestly, my mother has a treadmill I could have used for free.

Once I'm walking better, I DO plan to take advantage of the classes they offer (yoga, pilates, various dance-based cardio & fitness things).

In the meantime, what can I do with this gym membership besides just use the treadmill? Maybe you can tell I'm feeling a little frustrated. :001_huh:

(it took a lot for me to admit I needed to get fit and I'd love them to meet me halfway...)

I figure I can start with 2-3 machines in a 1/2 hour routine and work my way up. I'm assuming the gym has most of the standard types of equipment.

What would you suggest? Where do I go from here???

This is my first time joining a gym, and I'd like to know if there are some types of equipment that are easier for beginners to use than others? I need to get fit without spending a fortune on personal trainers...

Background:

At the start of the summer I was thinking I was in a decent holding pattern with 2 aerobics classes a week, some light biking & running around after kids. Total denial, but WHATEVER. Then, I got knocked down by a car door and have spent the last 4 weeks with a broken ankle. So much for fitness.

My walking cast is coming off next week, and I celebrated by joining a gym BUT when I went today for my orientation and personal fitness evaluation, here's what Ms Twenty-and-Skinny came up with: "you're overweight, your body fat is alarming, and don't even bother trying the equipment without a trainer or you'll hurt yourself." (not her exact words, but that's the gist :lol:)

And I can't afford the extra $300 for 16 sessions with a personal trainer. :-(

She showed me how to use the treadmill; that's a good start, but honestly, my mother has a treadmill I could have used for free.

Once I'm walking better, I DO plan to take advantage of the classes they offer (yoga, pilates, various dance-based cardio & fitness things).

In the meantime, what can I do with this gym membership besides just use the treadmill? Maybe you can tell I'm feeling a little frustrated. :001_huh:

(it took a lot for me to admit I needed to get fit and I'd love them to meet me halfway...)

I figure I can start with 2-3 machines in a 1/2 hour routine and work my way up. I'm assuming the gym has most of the standard types of equipment.

What would you suggest? Where do I go from here???

A refund, an apology and some research to find a more helpful gym.

You were treated atrociously. If that is their attitude, they should never have let you join. Honestly, find somewhere else that will help you and encourage you without the attitude.

You were treated atrociously. If that is their attitude, they should never have let you join. Honestly, find somewhere else that will help you and encourage you without the attitude.

Ditto!

If you want to still use that gym, I suggest getting a book such as Body for Life by Bill Phillips that shows you how use the weights and such. It also helps you design a plan for yourself.

Or rent, buy, borrow a home based weight training DVD program so that you can at least SEE how you are use the weights correctly.

Lastly, there is this product, FitDeck, that is cheap and easy.

:iagree: Although if you want to stay with that gym, just go and start with the machines and just look at the pictures and read the directions. In my experience they always print sufficient instructions on the machines. I had this guy at the gym trying to "help" me use the machines, "cause they are too complicated no one uses them right." I just looked and him and said thanks, but the pictures are easy to figure out. Don't be intimidated and just take the time to learn how to use them and you'll be fine.

If you find that you can not do very many repititions, don't be discouraged. Just do what you can do and try to squeeze out a few more next time until they get easier and then up the weight or repititions. You can do it! I started out not being able to do more than 2 push ups, but after working on it, I can do 10. Please don't listen to the unhelpful girl. You can use the machines and just use common sense and you'll be fine.

I have also found it helpful to have a workout buddy. Can you make a date with a friend to go to the gym? Or can you put on your favorite music or even a book on an iPod and just tune everyone else out and just work out. HTH

That sounds like my personal training instructor. She was a dolt and said the most horrifying things... I honestly have no idea why people like that work in wellness areas.

I do wellness consultations with people who have trouble walking in from the parking lot... I am so glad they are there, I make sure they have my cell phone number if they have ANY training questions. The 20-somethings I work with do the same. We work in a very poor area. We KNOW people can't afford personal training. We want them to reach their goals. Period.

As a trainer, I generally suggest that people just starting out use the pin-weight machines - We have Cybex, your gym may have Universal, they pretty much all work the same. These machines are easier to start with in that they restrict you to a specific plane of movement, so you're not going to have to worry so much about form. (You can always move to free weights when you're ready for more variety)

1. If you're looking to build stamina for activities of daily living, use low weight and lots of reps, say 2 sets of 12 repetitions. When you can achieve that, add another set.

2. If you're looking for strength building, find the heaviest weight you can lift 6-8 times on each machine. Work up to 2 sets of 6. When you can do that, add weight. 5 lbs, 10lbs, it really depends on where you are how much you want to add. (eg, you will add more to a leg press than a bicep curl, because you can just plain press more with your legs so adding 5 lbs to 110 isn't much of a challenge)

Either way, what you're looking for is a moving goal. You want to work to the point of failure. When you meet the goal, move it up.

There are pictures on the machines, but I would demand another consultation with a different person.

If you have any more specific questions regarding goals/machines/exercises, feel free to PM me.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

...just go and start with the machines and just look at the pictures and read the directions. In my experience they always print sufficient instructions on the machines. Don't be intimidated and just take the time to learn how to use them and you'll be fine.

If you find that you can not do very many repititions, don't be discouraged. Just do what you can do and try to squeeze out a few more next time until they get easier and then up the weight or repititions. You can do it! You can use the machines and just use common sense and you'll be fine.

I have also found it helpful to have a workout buddy. Can you make a date with a friend to go to the gym? Or can you put on your favorite music or even a book on an iPod

This is fantastically helpful - as were the other responses. I've highlighted some of the gems.

The truth is, I kind of excused her sneeriness because - okay, honesty, I don't like my body either, these days :blushing:. So I figure if I don't like the way I look, it's okay for her to ACT like she doesn't like the way I look, too. Complicated, messed-up, definitely.

I'm going to stick with this gym despite her stupidity because a) most of the people there are super-nice and helpful; b) it's VERY close and I don't want to set myself up to fail; c) it's women-only, which I strongly prefer for religious reasons (they apparently make an announcement beforehand if a man has to come in).

I love the idea of a book on my MP3 player and tuning out the world while I jog or - well, whatever I figure out how to do...

As she was giving me the tour, we passed somebody and she shuddered and whispered, "she's doing it wrong, and I don't want to say anything, but it bothers me so much and people hurt themselves." (because then she'd have to charge for personal training, presumably) I think this skinny woman is just a dolt, and the woman working out looked perfectly happy and confident. But I definitely don't want to hurt myself... :-(

So - next step: can I just wander around peering at the instructions, or will I look like a stupid newbie? I don't even know what the etiquette is... it's this whole new world.

When I joined a gym for the first time my new membership came with several personal training sessions. It was a lifesaver -- he did a fantastic job of showing me how to do things correctly. (Although others that worked with him seemed a lot like the girl you described.) Could you meet with another person? Get your money back and join another gym with training sessions included? If all else fails -- I absolutely love classes.

:iagree:

I'd call the gym; ask to speak to the manager; tell her what skinny 20 something said and ask for a new training session with someone else. I had to do this at Bally's once and they comped me a few extra training sessions as well.

Ask at your local physical therapy clinic. Depending on what state you live in, (a free-access state requiring no Rx) most will give you a no-fee screening, and be able to offer you either a no-cost or low-cost exercise program introduction, including an orientation to how to use the equipment safely, and some no equipment exercises for the no gym days so you don't break your routine because of weather, sick kids, etc. I have found PT's are experts at being clear and thorough.

I have seen some great fitness trainers, and some certified trainers whose clients were happy, permit horrifying form that a PT would never allow, that could cause injury in the long run (ie lunges where the knees move beyond your toes). This is a great option if it is available to you.

Yes - call and talk to the manager.

I use a set of super easy pin-weight machines at the gym. They have instructions printed on the side or you can just watch someone do them once. They have them set up at our gym as a circuit of 10 machines. Training with weights makes working out lots more fun than just running on the treadmill!

At my gym, a semi-personal trainer walks around the equipment in case anyone needs help. He walked me through the machines, showing me how to adjust the seat height and leg or arm distances. Even if your gym don't have someone who walks around, you can ask the people at the front desk for help on a particular machine.

One tip that helps me organize my workout is to work opposing muscles (biceps and triceps or hamstrings and quads or chest and back) the same exercise session. Try to get each muscle two or three times a week.

There are books and websites to help you. Plan what you are going to do before you go to the gym so you don't get overwhelmed or forget something.

Don't give up! Exercise is one of the best things you can do for yourself!

I think the improtant thing is that you go regularly and make it a habit. Ease in. Too many people burn out early and never return. Spend enough time on the treadmill to raise your heart rate, then pick one or two machines and read the directions. Get a really good stretch in, and leave.

Look into some classes that are gentle. Does your gym offer water aerobics or gentle yoga? Don't be afraid of the senior classes. They are often sprinkled with pregnant ladies and people recovering from injury. Besides, those ladies are who you WANT to be when you're older. I love their vibrancy and dedication to the physical and social benefits of their classes. They're the REAL experts on long-term fitness, not Trainer Barbie that annoyed you.

A basic demonstration of how to work the equipment should come with your gym membership. I would ask each time you go for someone to show you how to work several machines, that way you won't get overwhelmed with too many at once. They should be happy to show you.

This is fantastically helpful - as were the other responses. I've highlighted some of the gems.

:blush: I'm glad I was a little helpful. It made me mad that this person made you feel bad about yourself and made you feel like you couldn't workout.

I love the idea of a book on my MP3 player and tuning out the world while I jog or - well, whatever I figure out how to do...

Yup, this is what I do. I just put on a great book and get lost in the story and just keep going.

As she was giving me the tour, we passed somebody and she shuddered and whispered, "she's doing it wrong, and I don't want to say anything, but it bothers me so much and people hurt themselves." (because then she'd have to charge for personal training, presumably) I think this skinny woman is just a dolt, and the woman working out looked perfectly happy and confident. But I definitely don't want to hurt myself... :-(

Just pay attention to any warning signs on the machines, especially pivot points. You want to make sure that you are in the right position to do the exercise correctly. For example if you are doing bicep curls you want to make sure your elbow is on the right spot so you don't injure yourself. And don't listen to the silly woman, working out isn't rocket science.:D

So - next step: can I just wander around peering at the instructions, or will I look like a stupid newbie? I don't even know what the etiquette is... it's this whole new world.

Yup just watch people if they are on the machines to get an idea of how they work or just go up to one and just read the directions. You won't look stupid, you'll look smart for wanting to get strong and feel better about yourself. To quote Nike, "just do it!" :D