Menu

Serious question about my vicious dog

I have a very small, cute, adorable but very stupid dog. She is a mutt - a mixture of poodle and some sort of terrier. She was the runt of the litter. I've had her since March of 2005 and she is very, very, very protective of me. She sits on my lap as soon as I form one and she sleeps curled up next to me whenever I sleep, where ever I sleep. I feel her fur on my ankles when I walk around the house and I trip over her when I'm in the kitchen trying to cook. I think she likes me.:)

However, she is waaaaaaaay too overprotective and I am beginning to worry about her actually harming someone - even another family member. She seems to have gotten even more intolerant of others in the last few months. She growls whenever either of my two youngest approaches her and yesterday she bit dd12 on the arm. (no broken skin, just tooth indentations). That made me pretty upset and mad at my dog.

Whenever anyone comes in our yard, driveway, or drives on the street in front of our house she barks incessantly. If the UPS guy comes to the door, we have to shoo the dog into a back bedroom before we open the door. This happens whenever we have to open the door to anyone. She's so stupid, she even barks ferociously at family members until she sees the whites of their eyes.

Anyway, I think this dog has become dangerous. She couldn't do a lot of damage (she's only about ten pounds), but I'm still concerned that she could bite through someone's skin and there's always that off chance that she could get through our legs and race to the living room before we could catch her. She bit dd when dd tried to pick her up to get her in a room when my neighbor came to drop off his 5yo son so I could take him to our VBS at church. What if the dog had gotten away and had bit my neighbor's son???

What would you do with a dog like this? I'm extremely attached to her, but I cannot have a biting dog in my house. Any advice??

We had a dog a few years ago that was very protective of me. He was also BiPolar, I sware! There was an array of issues. I did do dog training with him, used a training collar etc and he was simply moody, unpredictable, my dh and I felt DANGEROUS! After putting up with him for 2 yrs we had to have him put down. He had gotten snarly with my oldest son who is in a wheel chair. The dog would lay in the way and if my son would try to get him to move he would stand and snarl at him. Not cute!

I hope you can find something to help. I guess I just got tired of pumping money in to way to get ours under control and not having anything really work.

There was a case locally not to long ago of a little Shih Tzu that attacked someone's face. They're cute and usually carried and people like to get close. A big dog might take a chunk out of your leg but a nasty little dog could take off a nose, ear or cheek.

Very true. I had a client at the clinic I worked at that had to get stitches on her face, from a dog bite by a maltese. Now granted, the woman kind of asked for it. The dog was growling at her, and she thought that was cute, so she tried to kiss the dog on it's lips, while it was growling at her. The dog poor thing probably thought she was trying to bite and bit her on the lip. I told the client not to kiss dogs that are growling at her.

Pray for me folks - this is going to be a real challenge for me.

You can do it, Kathleen. The alternatives to not doing it mean either putting down the dog or risk her attacking loved ones. I know you can do it. It will just take consistency and time.

Thanks for the encouragement, Audrey.:)

Last night she slept on the floor next to the sofa on the folded blanket (I need to buy her a bed - will do that next week after Irene leaves). She was definitely miffed and confused but she obeyed. A couple of times she growled at ds15 when he kept her from jumping up on the sofa (fortunately, it takes her a few tries to get up there because she is so small), so I put her in the crate for a five-minute time out. Again, she was confused but just sat there and waited it out.

Dd18 and I spent a lot of time in the kitchen preparing for our church's VBS picnic today (indoor picnic!) and Lottie (that's doggie's name) usually hangs out and begs for scraps or whatever when either of us cook. Dd also made her dad's lunch for today which means cold cuts and cheese came out of the fridge. I told Lottie to lie down at my feet while Dd made the lunch (I was across the room at the table) - she kept getting up but eventually complied. I rewarded her by feeding her a thin slice of ham (the lunchmeat kind).

She seems to be getting the idea, but we haven't had a real test yet - no one has come to the door. Just now Ds took the trash out and dragged the can back from the end of the driveway (very loudly). Lottie perked up and started to yip a bit. I told her "no" and she barked more softly - like she was attempting to restrain herself but was still determined to get some noise out. She's settled down again now.

So, it was difficult demanding her to sleep on the floor - she's obviously confused - but I didn't give in. That's amazing for me because I really felt sorry for her (still do), but am keeping my goal in the forefront of my mind. I do not want a biting, yapping dog.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. If there is anything else of significance to report, I'll update again.

When our terrier came home from obedience "boot camp", she had a very different life for a while. There were only three states of being.....1. in a crate in the house 2. free in the yard 3. in the house, on leash, and under command. For the first week or so, that was her life. If she was going to be uncrated in the house, it was going to be under command. We used a short training leash. She had to heel with us, auto-sit, and do sits and downs at random times. She just accompanied us around the house at a heel in our normal movements...even to the bathroom ! After she was completely adjusted to this, she started getting some off-leash free time in the house. She had to earn that. I know this sounds harsh and like a lot of work, and it was a lot of work. But it brought about an almost complete personality change that has stuck for the rest of her life (she is now 17). She became calmer, more confident, and friendly. We realized that her former personality was completely based on insecurity. She had been a high-strung, protective, insecure little dog who overreacted to almost everything. This massive obedience overhaul in midlife really changed her. We were all so much happier together, and when we had kids, she was not any risk to them. It was worth it. If we get another dog with that type of personality, the obedience will be the dog's foundation of life with us.

I actually watched a few episodes of that show before we stopped getting cable. There was a dog just like mine. I can't remember what he suggested now, but we did try whatever it was back then and it didn't work.

The pricey thing is an issue for us as well. I cannot afford a dog psychologist, kwim? I'm not even sure I can afford simple training classes (although I can't afford to have someone get bit either!!!!).

I will look into the training idea.

I wish I could remember what he did. Did it involve having the husband take over care of the dog? Wasn't he the only one to feed and walk the dog for a while?

I think the suggestion of seeing the vet is a great one especially since this behavior has recently gotten worse. And definitely keep your dog contained when children are around. I hope you can get some good answers and help.

ETA: I just read your recent update - wow! You've made great progress! Sounds like you're becoming the alpha instead of her - good job!!!

Edited by Teachin'Mine

My mom has a dog like this. Honestly, it has affected the amount of time she's been able to spend with the grandkids. After it tried to bite my dd, I asked her to please kennel it for safety when we visit. Mom loves the dog and is reluctant to do that. It makes for a sticky situation. This animal has been a loyal and constant companion and we are somewhat irregular visitors, so I guess I understand my Mom's feelings. But it's still not a safe place for my kids, and has kept us from visiting more often.

She lives out of town, and having the dog prevents us from staying at her home. It makes traveling to see her expensive and difficult.

Just being honest, Kathleen, knowing you have a new grandbaby. Whatever you decide to do, please freely communicate with your dd/ddil regarding your plans to keep the dog from harming the baby.

:iagree: My ils have a dog that I despise and they adore. The dog is so old and unable to run now which is the only reason it's allowed in my house. We did limit our visits to them because the dog would attack anyone/anything who walked past his "area". Now he just sits and barks incessantly because he's blind and can't see us, just knows someone is in his area. The ils just blame everything else around for the animal and it has caused real problems with us.

No. Do you think she's still trainable at her age?

Age is no indication as to whether a dog can learn something new. find a trainer now-a good way to find a good one is to look up the closest kennnel club or dog training club and ask them for referrals. Expect them to tell you things you don't want to hear-like why did you ever let the dog act like this? and also expect a lot of work on your part.

for the meantime here are some hints to help protect the public from your dog:

-get a crate. when someone comes put the dog in a crate in a closed room so it cannot escape even if someone opens the door

-keep your doors locked. That way you can get the dog locked up before anyone can open it.

-if the dog is acting agressively, don't let it be in contact with the kids. Crate it or baby gate it somewhere away from them until it gets a bit of an attitude adjustment

-do not pick the dog up, allow it on the furniture... Being in a position highr than, is an idication of dominance in dogs-if you have a bossy one this is one way to reinforce that the people are the boss

-get training asap!

Jeantte who was an obedience instructor and who counseled people with dog problems.

I had a mixed poodle (with terrier and looked almost like a poodle) for a number of years. Yes, he was always protective but not aggressive at all. When he was about 6 or 7, he suddenly turned aggressive. We didn't know what was going on. Then he started fly-biting- this is a behavior where the dog acts like he is chasing flies, he bites at imaginary things and spins around like he would if he was chasing a fly. We took him to the vet. He developed blindness there that was then cured by steroids. The dog had a brain tumor. THe steroids worked for a month or two but then the aggession and fly biting came back. It wasn't constant but we knew it was time to end his suffering.

I am not saying your dog has this. However, I do think you need to note any abnormal symptoms and take the dog to a vet. I am sure there are other casues for a six year old dog to suddenly become aggressive but I do think that medical causes or changes in the household should be explored. On the other hand, if it isn't a sudden change, just what you can see was a slow escalation to biting over the years, it is then I would consider training as a first option.

Guest annrie

Kathleen, I read your latest and it sounds like you're doing great! I forgot to mention, Gizmo was about 7 or 8 when we started giving her time outs and such for her behavior problems, so there is definitely hope! I know you feel sorry for her now, but if it were one of your kids would you let them run up and yell at someone and hit them? Of course not, you would correct them even if it hurt their feelings. Keep in mind you will have a much happier dog in the end!:D

You're doing great so far! Just remember, she's a dog. They don't think like we do. Don't feel sorry for her. She will understand soon that if I do 'A', I get this. If I do 'B', I get this...I'm positive that you will see a change in her and she will become a better pet. She will know her place and what she needs to do.

Oh and I don't let any dogs near the table at meals or in the kitchen...it's just me. Over the years I've found that it just creates issues. I am fortunate in that my kitchen is only entered at one spot and the floor changes there. My dogs know they have to stay on the hardwood floor and not to come in. When we have dinner, if they can control themselves, they are allowed to lay nearby in the living room (which connects to the dining room-I have a small house). But they are not allowed to beg or whine at all. If they do they are told to 'kennel up'. They understand that command and head to their kennel. (this was in the beginning of their training). Eventually they learned that if they were quiet, they could stay near and maybe even receive a treat later.

Oh and any treats that I do give are given away from the kitchen or table. I don't want them to assume that they can have 'our' food from those areas. It'll go into their bowl with a 'wait' command and then an 'ok' which is their release command, or they go outside and I'll give them something out there. It's worked for us and them as I don't have counter surfers or beggers. I can eat on the couch and they still lay down and do not beg. But we were very firm about this and it's worked.

I didn't read all of the posts.... I'm NOT a dog expert, so you can completely ignor this if you like.

I don't think she is too old to learn and it is worth a shot if you love her.

Perhaps you should stop feeding her; let your kids feed her and give her water. Then she might grow fonder of them.

Hope you find something to help!!

Thanks for the encouragement, Audrey.:)

Last night she slept on the floor next to the sofa on the folded blanket (I need to buy her a bed - will do that next week after Irene leaves). She was definitely miffed and confused but she obeyed. A couple of times she growled at ds15 when he kept her from jumping up on the sofa (fortunately, it takes her a few tries to get up there because she is so small), so I put her in the crate for a five-minute time out. Again, she was confused but just sat there and waited it out.

Dd18 and I spent a lot of time in the kitchen preparing for our church's VBS picnic today (indoor picnic!) and Lottie (that's doggie's name) usually hangs out and begs for scraps or whatever when either of us cook. Dd also made her dad's lunch for today which means cold cuts and cheese came out of the fridge. I told Lottie to lie down at my feet while Dd made the lunch (I was across the room at the table) - she kept getting up but eventually complied. I rewarded her by feeding her a thin slice of ham (the lunchmeat kind).

She seems to be getting the idea, but we haven't had a real test yet - no one has come to the door. Just now Ds took the trash out and dragged the can back from the end of the driveway (very loudly). Lottie perked up and started to yip a bit. I told her "no" and she barked more softly - like she was attempting to restrain herself but was still determined to get some noise out. She's settled down again now.

So, it was difficult demanding her to sleep on the floor - she's obviously confused - but I didn't give in. That's amazing for me because I really felt sorry for her (still do), but am keeping my goal in the forefront of my mind. I do not want a biting, yapping dog.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. If there is anything else of significance to report, I'll update again.

You may want to have a neighbour help out so you can practice the door thing over the course of several days. It's much easier to deal with when you know what's going to happen/when someone will arrive.