Menu

Vacationing in Myrtle Beach, we want to leave early, hotel staff won't give us credit

We're scheduled to be here until Saturday. I called front desk yesterday and said we're traveling north home on Saturday and we wanted to leave early to be safe. Lady said because hurricane isn't hitting Myrtle Beach directly they won't refund our money (two days) but will give us a credit which we can use any time.

Today we decided to check out and manager, a different lady, said they will only credit us for 90 days (ya, like I'm going to make a 17 hour drive back here in 90 days) and there's NO WAY she'll give us a credit and she said we're perfectly safe and and we'll be perfectly safe driving home (Myrtle Beach to

Toronto) on Saturday.

Meanwhile I overhear maintenance staff in in the elevator talking about being prepared, etc. The hotel has said nothing to their guests about this.

So those who live in NC and SC...what are your thoughts? What to do???? The worst we've been through is snowstorms...and even then nothing really bad.

Does anyone happen to know of SC laws regarding credits at hotels in this kind of situation??? Should we be feeling "completely safe" here and for our drive home???

What's the hotels policy regarding cancellations? Usually unless you had a special deal, you can cancel 24 hours before. You should be able to cancel extra nights that far in advance as well.

Is the hotel a chain? You could try calling a headquarters number and see if they are more helpful.

What's the hotels policy regarding cancellations? Usually unless you had a special deal, you can cancel 24 hours before. You should be able to cancel extra nights that far in advance as well.

Is the hotel a chain? You could try calling a headquarters number and see if they are more helpful.

:iagree:

It's an independent hotel and it's no refund once you're here unless they're getting hit by the hurricane. Yesterday's front desk lady said I could get a credit; today's lady says credit only used within 90 days.

I'll be sure to post a review on tripadvisor about this.

To the other poster...you're right...just looking at satellite photos now and it seems if we up up a little northwest we should be ok.

Maybe you could try this:

"Since you are an expert storm tracker and obviously are willing to guarantee us that there will be no reprocussions from the hurricane and we will NOT be delayed returning home due to debris, road closures, evacuations, or any other hurricane related incidents, please place this in writing so I will have it to refer to when I contact my lawyer. Also, while we are at it, I will need a photo copy of your FEMA plan and verification that this hotel has indeed complied with every detail."

Even NOAA cannot guarantee exact landfall and strength until it actually happens. Just like tornados, hurricanes change direction and predicting their activity is not an exact science.

Faith

I'd be tempted to have them put their money where their mouth is. If they're so sure you'd be safe I'd ask them to sign a statement saying as much and a promise to cover any and all emergency bills in the event the hurricane hits.

That said, I'd probably say screw the payment for the next two days and get out of there. If I didn't feel safe no amount of money could entice me to stay.

"Since you are an expert storm tracker and obviously are willing to guarantee us that there will be no reprocussions from the hurricane and we will NOT be delayed returning home due to debris, road closures, evacuations, or any other hurricane related incidents, please place this in writing so I will have it to refer to when I contact my lawyer. Also, while we are at it, I will need a photo copy of your FEMA plan and verification that this hotel has indeed complied with every detail."

Even NOAA cannot guarantee exact landfall and strength until it actually happens. Just like tornados, hurricanes change direction and predicting their activity is not an exact science.

Faith

Oh my dear Faith, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this...I have no idea what FEMA is (will look it up...I'm guessing something like federal emergency something), but it sounds good!!!!

:iagree:

I'd mention that you will be sending a letter of complaint to their headquarters and participating in online reviews.

But even if South Carolina is not going to take a direct hit what is the actual water like? When I was near there the water was pretty rough and there wasn't a hurricane in the area.

If there isn't an evacuation order for the area, I don't see a hotel offering a refund simply because riptides make the beach unsafe for swimming. Most places don't have refunds or credits unless an actual evacuation is order. The Outer Banks, NC have been ordered to evacuate, so the way hotels and rentals handle that will be different. A hotel can't make you stay and pay for a room if rescue personnel are ordering people to leave. I don't believe Myrtle Beach is under such an order.

Whether or not an order is in effect the poster should call the headquarters of her hotel chain and get the exact policy. Chains will have different policies depending on the hotel location. Resort hotels often require 3 days cancellation (IME) so she would have had to do that on Tuesday.

If they eye lands in the Outerbanks you will likely be OK there. You will likely see some rain and wind and rough surf, but nothing really bad. You will likely be on the wrong side for tornados as well.

Do you know anyone that you can give your 2 days credit to and I would ask if the credit was transferrable.

Faith

:iagree: and lack of electricity causing road closures and detours.

If there isn't an evacuation order for the area, I don't see a hotel offering a refund simply because riptides make the beach unsafe for swimming. Most places don't have refunds or credits unless an actual evacuation is order. The Outer Banks, NC have been ordered to evacuate, so the way hotels and rentals handle that will be different. A hotel can't make you stay and pay for a room if rescue personnel are ordering people to leave. I don't believe Myrtle Beach is under such an order.

:iagree: That is a typical policy for a house rental. I assume an independent hotel can make their own rules, but it isn't outrageous to not offer to not offer a refund.

or otherwise commit yourself?

I stay in hotels every month, and I am always able to check out a day or two earlier if I need to. But generally I am staying in places that have a cancellation policy. If I stay at a normal Marriott, for example, I can tell them them one day that I am checking out early (the next day) and I have never had a problem with that.

On the other hand, resorty type places often have a more defined commitment. Often you have to cancel a month before in order to get your money back.

So first, you need to check what the agreement was. Probably this is on the hotel website.

If you needed a longer term cancellation, I think they are within their rights. We own property a bit south of Myrtle beach, and while we are expecting heavy rain and beach erosion, there is no evacuation and really, you are perfectly safe.

The fact that you might be less safe driving through New England is simply not going to be persuasive.

We're scheduled to be here until Saturday. I called front desk yesterday and said we're traveling north home on Saturday and we wanted to leave early to be safe. Lady said because hurricane isn't hitting Myrtle Beach directly they won't refund our money (two days) but will give us a credit which we can use any time.

Today we decided to check out and manager, a different lady, said they will only credit us for 90 days (ya, like I'm going to make a 17 hour drive back here in 90 days) and there's NO WAY she'll give us a credit and she said we're perfectly safe and and we'll be perfectly safe driving home (Myrtle Beach to

Toronto) on Saturday.

Meanwhile I overhear maintenance staff in in the elevator talking about being prepared, etc. The hotel has said nothing to their guests about this.

So those who live in NC and SC...what are your thoughts? What to do???? The worst we've been through is snowstorms...and even then nothing really bad.

Does anyone happen to know of SC laws regarding credits at hotels in this kind of situation??? Should we be feeling "completely safe" here and for our drive home???

Nothing helpful to say, but hello Canadian, I am 1.5 hours up the coast from you right now, and hunkering down for the storm!!!! We are at my sister's house near the coast, yikes. and now her county is under the hurricane watch. Good luck to you!

Having worked in the industry, go ahead and threaten with your FEMA letter, and your lawyer letter. If you get a nice staff member, they may not laugh in your face, and may stand there graciously while you spew. If you get a not-so-nice staff member, they will probably smirk, and give the address to send the letter to.

Come, on. You aren't writing either one of those letters, nor are you contacting a lawyer over two nights stay.

I am ONLY ASSUMING, you got some package pre-paid deal, where it was cleary stated that there were no refunds, no cancellations. Otherwise, most hotels as long as you checkout by 10 a.m. (or whatever the daily checkout time is), you are NOT obligated to pay for further nights. But those package deals, will clearly state no refunds, no cancellations at the time you purchase them.

As Myrtle Beach, at this time, is not in the direct path of Irene, your life is really not in danger. You might get some viscious winds, some nasty rain,

and overall, your vacation won't end on a fun note, but there really is no reason to leave at this point.

By the way, you will likely be in sit-for-hours traffic on the interstate anyway, so you might as well stay and enjoy the scene. Hurricanes, when you are on the outskirts, not near the eye of course, actually provide some really amazing views of what Mother Nature can do.

Chalk it up as part of the adventure.

The hotel is not under any obligation to give you a refund at this point.