Menu

freezing corn....question...please help...quick

FWIW, I just toss the corn on the cob into a freezer ziploc bag without the blanching step. We have never fallen ill from eating the boiled corn that was previously frozen.

No, but depending on how long it takes to freeze, the sugars are degrading to starch. If it takes a long time, your sweet corn might be meh corn when you open it. :001_smile:

I slightly remember someone once telling me that I didnt have to blanch the corn ON the cob before freezing, but I could cut the corn off the cob first, and then put the corn in a pot, blanch, cool and then freeze. Does anybody here do it that way and if so, am I missing anything??? Thanks.

Yup, this is the way we do it too.

My mom sometimes puts in the butter & salt for seasoning to cut down on cook times when she defrosts again for use later.

I don't like to do that just in case I use it for something other than just serving it as a veggie on it's own.

yum!

I just did this yesterday and did it the way Mom taught me which was to cut the corn off the cob and then blanch. My mom used to blanch for 10 minutes or so but I did some research yesterday and only blanched for about 4-5 minutes. It looked and smelled good when it went into the freezer.

The only reason we've always done it that way is because I don't like handling hot cobs and never have the required ice on hand to cool them really fast. I just stick the whole pot down in a sink full of cold water to have it cool off quickly after blanching.

I have frozen fresh sweet corn on the cob still in the husk, and it's sweet and delicious when we use it. It depends on how fresh and sweet it is to start with. Fresher is better.

Thanks! I wondered if it could be frozen in the husk.

Now if I could just find it for 5 cents an ear again in this lifetime.

I never blanch mine. This is the way we've been doing it for years: I shuck it, remove the silks (scrub rest off under water if need be), cut off the ends and any parts that might be not so great, and toss them into large freezer bags. We are just now finishing up the last of the 200 ears I bought from a friend of mine last summer and they are still so sweet. We pull out the number of ears we want to boil, set them on a plate on the counter while the water comes to a good boil, then pop them in for about 8-10 minutes. We eat them just plain. The corn we mostly get is a bicolor sweet or silver queen...also sweet.

If you want it off the cob, do all as above, but cut the kernals from the cob into a larg bowl, stir to help distribute the 'milk' and toss into freezer bags, when you go to cook it, simmer in a little water (steaming it works lovely too) or cook smothered with onions and garlic in some butter and add a little milk towards the end till warm....yum!