Menu

How do you handle dc interrupting during read alouds?

ChristusG

My 7 year old DD interrupts all the time during read alouds. She's always asking a question, making a comment, wondering what a word means. I know it is good for her to ask questions and I dont mind answering, but sometimes she interrupts so frequently that the parts that I'm reading are not understood because I'm having to stop so much.

I've asked her to wait until the end of a page or something but she becomes frustrated and tells me that she forgets what she was going to ask.

Read aloud time can be very frustrating with her at times.

I have an 8 yr old just like this. Unfortunately, the questions often did not pertain to the book. I ordered http://www.timberdoodle.com/Electric_Colors_Thinking_Putty_p/284-electric.htm and let her play with it while I read. The idle talking has subsided and the questions she is now asking are relevant. Magic putty, I tell you.:001_smile:

I have an 8 yr old just like this. Unfortunately, the questions often did not pertain to the book. I ordered http://www.timberdoodle.com/Electric_Colors_Thinking_Putty_p/284-electric.htm and let her play with it while I read. The idle talking has subsided and the questions she is now asking are relevant. Magic putty, I tell you.:001_smile:

Just a note: If you get the putty, do not immerse it in water for half an hour to see what will happen and then touch it. :) (Spent half an hour getting off my hands.)

Guest thenolanz

Maybe you could give her a little notebook to write her questions (or draw a picture to remind her) in, and then go over it every couple of pages or so?

I would always have my kids color or do something during the read aloud, and I found they still absorbed a lot. When my son reached the "asking all the time" stage, I gave both of them a notebook and told them to write questions down as they had them, and we'd go over them together at the end of the chapter, etc.

I usually keep the readings short and if someone is asking pertinent questions, I stop and answer them, at least they are paying attention. If there have been many interruptions, I just reread it. I'd rather keep the lessons short if it lends to greater comprehension. Mine usually play with legos while I read.

pretty much, I tell them to shut up...

OK... I tell them nicely...but the effect is the same.

Sometimes, I just put the book away, and hand them a worksheet to do...LOL...then, they realize I mean be quiet. Other times, I give them something quiet to do, like origami or play-do.

They do finally get the idea...but 7 is definitely a chatty age....

Faithe

Thinking Putty works like magic for us. We have four tins of it now.

Other than that, I always totally encourage her to ask any vocabulary questions. She raises her finger, I acknowledge her, and wait until the end of the paragraph, and then she asks her question.

My 7 year old DD interrupts all the time during read alouds. She's always asking a question, making a comment, wondering what a word means. I know it is good for her to ask questions and I dont mind answering, but sometimes she interrupts so frequently that the parts that I'm reading are not understood because I'm having to stop so much.
This is only an issue with my youngest. I usually answer the question then start the relevant passage again from the beginning. Repeat, as many times as it takes. It can be trying, but I try to be patient as long as the questions remain relevant and not frivolous.

ETA: When reading to both children, the rule is to wait; however, I stop frequently to see if DD the Younger has any questions. This morning's reading was interesting because the "Minnesota Massacre" briefly referenced in the Little House books was discussed in more detail in Caddie Woodlawn. Much discussion ensued.

Edited by nmoira

I usually answer the question then start the relevant passage again from the beginning. Repeat, as many times as it takes. It can be trying, but I try to be patient as long as the questions remain relevant and not frivolous.

I agree. This is what I do as well. I do want my kids to be active listeners. To be an active listener, the younger you are the more questions you will have.

I actually even encouraged it. I used to - and still do, sometimes - interrupt *myself* to define a word or ask a question assure comprehension. So I really have opened the door for my kids to interrupt, too. :D

Edited by zenjenn

I wish my kids would interrupt! I know they don't always understand certain vocabulary. I wish they'd ask me what things me and speak up as soon as they realize they aren't following.

Random comments aren't welcome. I usually tell them to interrupt only with a question. We can discuss opinions and tell funny stories later.

The rule in my house is that you have to wait until I'm done reading a page before you can interrupt. Otherwise, I feel stressed out and hate reading.

DC will eventually remember and making them wait lets them develop their ideas/comments/questions a little better too. :)

If it's to ask what a word means or to ask a question about something we just read or to comment on something we just read, then I appreciate that she's interested and curious and paying attention and I answer the question/define the word/look up a picture of something they're talking about when my daughter wants to know what something looks like, or whatever the case may be. I do sometimes hold my finger up for her to wait a moment while I at least finish reading the sentence I'm on. But I don't expect her to wait til I finish a whole page or anything.

If it's for something totally unrelated to the book and unimportant, I will explain to her that I would prefer not to be interrupted while I'm reading unless it's important (like she has to go to the bathroom or sees something wrong with her little brother or some such), or unless it pertains to what we are reading.

If it's about the book, I stop and answer it. If it isn't, I have a nice glare :glare: that seems to help. Also, if it's the 10th question about the book in one sitting, I employ the glare and threaten to stop and they get quiet.

I will say that for nonfiction read alouds, which we do in the mornings, I *like* it when they interrupt and I encourage them to ask questions and discuss. But not for a fiction read aloud. It breaks the flow. Ask later.

I agree. This is what I do as well. I do want my kids to be active listeners. To be an active listener, the younger you are the more questions you will have.

I actually even encouraged it. I used to - and still do, sometimes - interrupt *myself* to define a word or ask a question assure comprehension. So I really have opened the door for my kids to interrupt, too. :D

Me too. It has taken some training but he knows the interruption needs to be in regards to the book. He also usually puts a finger or hand up slightly to let me know he has a question. At most, I'll finish the sentence then answer. I also try hard to catch any vocab or unfamiliar situation, then re-read the passage.

Me, too! I interrrupt my own reading more often than my 8 year old does. :D Interruptions do not bother me in the least. I actually welcome her questions and comments. She doesn't stray from the topic so that makes it fine. If she was just chatting to hear her own voice, that wouldn't be tolerated. But asking vocabulary questions, clarifying what's going on and the like - encouraged around here. We just start the paragraph over after we are finished discussing.