Menu

Which top 3 subjects would u teach? 3r's?

journey00

I would teach math, history, and either science or art.

Math is...well, math. It's hard to cover anything else to get math skills.

History is a big, "mega subject" to me--like one of those all-in-one playscapes, where you can swing, climb, slide, and pretend. I use history as my reading, history, writing and sometimes even art program.

Science (pariticularly bio/life/nature study) teaches skills and info that, again, are hard to replicate elsewhere.

Art can also be a mega subject, but I don't like to teach it! :D

There were originally 4Rs. Reading, Writing, Arithmetic and Religion. I would never try to raise children without character development. So Religion and Reading are obvious, but how does a parent pick between arithmetic and writing? Skipping either of those cripples a child.

I would not want to just teach 3 subjects unless there was some reason not to.

We are teaching:

History

Science

Math

Art

Music/piano

Literature

Languages- Spanish and introductory Latin

Handwriting

Computer programming

Writing as part of history, science, literature as well.

I frankly can not imagine wanting to cut any of these subjects. And computer programming and latin are the only ones I would be willing to drop if he did not want to do them (but quite the opposite, he really, really wants them).

Obviously as parents we cover ethics and values, but we would do that even if he were in school.

There were originally 4Rs. Reading, Writing, Arithmetic and Religion. I would never try to raise children without character development. So Religion and Reading are obvious, but how does a parent pick between arithmetic and writing? Skipping either of those cripples a child.

I like that

I like that

So do I. But I think religion (and almost anything other topic: science, history, etc) could fall under reading and writing, if one could only have 3 broad categories.

So do I. But I think religion (and almost anything other topic: science, history, etc) could fall under reading and writing, if one could only have 3 broad categories.

Not the way I taught it :-) It was way too intensive a subject to fall under another one of the Rs. It certainly needed it's own R in my homeschool :-)

The Bluedorns break literature into 4 categories: Faith-the record of God in scripture, Fact-the record of men about their understanding of reality, Fiction-the invention of men but based upon reality, Fantasy-the invention of men but not based on reality.

Teaching about God isn't the same as teaching about facts and fiction&fantasy. I taught fiction&fantasy as arts, and entirely differently than facts and faith.

I think reading needs to be taught all the way through college level for many of us. Mortimer Adler's How to Read a Book is too hard for many high schoolers. And learning to write is a life long process for just about everyone. I'll never be done with either of these.

Eh, if we were limited to three subjects I'd probably call them:

1. Language arts (including reading, writing, grammar, narrative skills, the whole lot).

2. World knowledge (including history, biology, science, religion)

3. Mathematics.

:D

:D